Anyone else here part of the Volkswagen family?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Mr_Bear, Sep 28, 2011.

1. You should never sell your bug man

2. one of my biggest regrets.

3. I'm a pretty new member of the family, I made the conversion from Honda and love it. Just a stock 1.8. Slow and gutless, but I need it that way.

Attached Files:

4. No,
    Because I like my cars in running condition.

Haha Jk! I hear they're improving... Slowly

5. What does the fact that they're Mexican built have to do with their reliability? Mercs, like all luxury cars need regular and expensive maintenance. Don't expect to buy a Mercedes and go without a trip to the mechanic at least once every 2 months.

Btw, if Mexicans are so lousy at building cars, why has VW shifted the majority of its international production to Mexico? Why has Mexico become the number 1 producer of automobiles in North America?

6. #46 Mr_Bear, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
    [quote name='"J-DILLA"']

Btw, if Mexicans are so lousy at building cars, why has VW shifted the majority of its international production to Mexico? Why has Mexico become the number 1 producer of automobiles in North America?[/quote]

Because they are cheaper to build there and then they arent shipping cars across an ocean. Simple economics.

own 4 mexican built cars, one brazilian. The brazilian one had no issues. All my mexican jettas had stupid shit wrong. Neighbor bought a 94 german built jetta, and it was absolutely perfect by comparison.

It makes a shitload of difference.

On the mercedes front, my neighbors bought two new c class. At the time their production was in mexico. Ive got friends with basic mercedes 12-20 years old that never see a mechanic, whereas my neighbors always had one of their mercedes and a loaner car, nearly at any time you look in the garage.

7. There are a lot of things to consider with your jettas and what went wrong with them. The new Passats are American built and reviews have stated they are of terrible quality.

8. [quote name='"J-DILLA"']

There are a lot of things to consider with your jettas and what went wrong with them. The new Passats are American built and reviews have stated they are of terrible quality.[/quote]

And youre surprised? america hasnt put together a proper family car in years. Id never buy anything built here. Except a chevy truck.

9. I got unfortunate with my 95 GLS. Electrical gremlins are everywhere.

10. [quote name='"DenserNug"']I got unfortunate with my 95 GLS. Electrical gremlins are everywhere.[/quote]

Thats a shame, im finally putting my glx back on the road :)

Tho its riddled with rust

11. I used to own an 04 Passat Wagon 4Motion and an 06 Jetta 2.5 Sedan, sold them both and made some decent $. They're just a bitch to work on, I swear you have to have elf hands... took me forever to replace the turbo on the wagon.

12. My mom has an '02 passat wagon 4motion 30v vr6... natural aspiration ftw. No but seriously that thing books if you ever need to pass anyone... i was going 105 in a 65 turning into a 75 on I90 the other night... passed like 4 cars within seconds. The semi behind me definitely saw it all haha.

13. VWs never die, how many 60's Honda's or Toyota's do you see driving around? None
    How many VW's? A lot. Can't say I've ever owned a new VW though

14. I have had a 59 bug, a 64 squareback, a 73 not a super beetle, a 74 westphalia, a 95 golf, a 96 jetta, a 98 jetta, a 2002 jetta and a 2006 jetta. We still own the squareback, the 96, 2002 and 2006 jettas. The 06 is diesel and is my ride. We sold the others to a collector, except for the one my husband rolled at 80.
    [​IMG]

15. Toyotas and Hondas don't really have the styling and history that make them worthwhile to collect. I'd rather own a GTI and get my hands a little greasy every now and then than own a boring civic or corolla.

16. That's a pretty bad comparison. You know why you don't seen any 60's Hondas driving around? Because there were none. The first officially imported Honda into the US was the N600 in 1970, which was replaced by the Z600 and then the Civic. Volkswagen Beetles/bugs had already been imported to the US since the mid 50's. That's two more decades of left over, massively produced "peoples cars" before the first Honda was even here. But, Honda and reliability are synonymous with each other, so I guess they never die either :rolleyes:

Back to the topic at hand...I've owned a dozen or so different cars/truck so far and enjoyed each in it's own way. Right now I'm in a MK3 Golf with some bits and pieces changed up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a buddies M3

[​IMG]

17. My 04.5 GLI is a Mexican built car, and it's 105K w/ no oil leaks/burning, no odd issues, no weird lights. I did all necessary maintenance, it has to get a few things done soon, but it's never left me anywhere. Always gets me home!

I'm happy w/ my VW.

18. dad and myself drive an 03 Golf TDI, my mother has 2 '70 Karmann Ghias convertible. one with the single barrel carbs and the other with the double barrels. Love all the vw's ive come across. Great community, almost as open and accepting as the stoner community

19. i'd say the vw and volvo communities probably have the most stoners out of the gearheads haha

20. thats why we're generally so friendly!

I do notice that your typical VW people are about as quirky as their cars.

I mean shit, i've got more quirks than my 16 y/o jumping bean!