Plant is flowering. Molasses?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by stayinblitzed, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Should I just mix molasses with my water and that's all the nutes I need for the flowering stage?

2. You can use that. I would also add flowering nutes.

3. If your going to use molasses, first mix it in a coffee mug with hot water then stir it till its dissolved, THEN add it to the nuted water. If you don't do this, the molasses will just sink to the bottom.

I dont regret using molasses. Even though I didnt do an experiment, my cuzo has the same strain and he didnt use molasses. His eyeballs popped out when he saw how much sugar (trichs) mine had compared to his!

4. Yep, I agree with the first two answers. Definitely do what blizo said and mix it with some hot water first. Molasses and Tiger Bloom from Fox Farms have been working well for me.

5. First off you want unsulphered backstreep mollases as it has most natural stuff left in from how its made.second mollases is a chealiting agent not a nute itself, how it works is like it breaks up the nutes already in soil like a blender that makes them easier for your plants to take up more of the availible nutes,so yes you do need to add some flower nutes also dont forget to flush out with just water for last 3 weeks before harvest you want to flush out all built up salts in plant so you get that good taste when dry and cured,if you dont you will get harsh buds that look great

6. I think he meant unsulphered Blackstrap molasses. Since I cant get that in my area, I (and many others) use Grandma's unsulphered molasses. I also heard of people using Brer Rabbit molasses.

7. The cocktail of a sexy flowering plant: unsulphered blackstrap molasses, ooze bloom (pricey, but worth it you wouldn't believe the kind of resin I got on those buds, fuckin' sexy) and FF tigers bloom (nothing super special, gives the plant what it needs and it keeps on going)

8. Hi Blades,
    Molasses works great outdoors when I'm growing in soil of some sort but when I use it in my hydro setup, I get a weird molasses odor in my final cured product, so I've switched to dark agave nectar instead. I believe that I get the same results, both indoors and outside, without the telltale molasses smell. I start using it when flowering appears, along with the usual nutrients and additives. I use about a tablespoon per gallon, once a week. I bought it at my local market but I think some health food stores have it as well. It's also good in barbecue sauce because it blends well.

9. if you guys will look at the links in my signature you will find a rather expansive article on the use of molasses in horticulture. alot of people only use it during flowering, but in all reality you should use it through out your entire grow from your first feeding to the final flush, as it not only helps feed the plants but the microbes and beneficial bacteria that culture themselves in your medium (trust me they're there)

10. Fyi ....In shoprite food market you can find grandmas blackstrap molasses unsulphured for I think 5 bucks if that in the same aisle as pancake syrup..

11. #11 5150, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011

Interesting...

Flush for 3 weeks? How well does that work?

This is how I understand the mollases.

Molasses acts as food for the "micro beastie" heard that's alive in your soil. The more "alive" your soil is, the better for your plants. You want those micro beasties feeding, farting, crapping, and fornicating in that soil.

After the micro beastie heard feeds, farts, craps, and fornicats in your soil. Your plant can then feed on that beastie/micro heard waste. So the molasses feeds the heard. Your plant feeds on the heards shit.

I am no export on micro heards. But this is how I understand it.

12. Seriously,
    What the hell is a 'micro beastie' and specifically what animals living in my soil are craving molasses? Are you talking about worms or microbes? Help us out here.

13. it feeds the bacteria aka microbes in the soil, which breaks down the sugars into to nutrients readily available to the plants. the extra bacteria in the medium will also feed the worms if you are vermicasting. i hope this better explains his comment, and worded in terms you can easily understand.

14. Thanks samiel,
    I got confused by the suggestion that microbes can fornicate. I didn't even know that worms eat bacteria. This was my first exposure to the term "micro beastie". Fortunately, it provided you with knowledge and it was generous of you to give us a translation. I feel so much wiser now.

15. that guys information is correct, he just worded it a little oddly. most people refer to the bacteria in the soil as microbes. i just call em what they are which is bacteria, both good and bad bacteria live in the soil. worms eat soil wastes, which include this bacteria, which provide nutrients to the plant.

16. Thanks for trying to enlighten me but you may be missing the point. There are better ways to improve your soil's biosystem than messing with molasses. It's really all about the initial soil blend and correct watering. Attempting to promote the growth of beneficial soil bacteria by pouring something onto it is inefficient. I use sweeteners to boost bloom growth and help push ripening.

The reason that molasses works so well in hydro is that the plants benefit from the iron and carbs and other nutrients that are in it. It works in the same way as the commercial bloom sweeteners that are sold in all supply stores. The fact that these products impart a distinctive odor to the final product is proof that the plant consumes the sweet additives, whether it's a commercial product, molasses or agave nectar. My tests do not indicate an advantage to adding a sweetener before the flowering stage. If you perform a test by comparing several plants during an entire grow cycle, it would be interesting for us to learn about your observations. If you are relying on molasses to feed beneficial micro-organisms in the soil, you may want to learn more about fertilizer and how it works.

17. #17 5150, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011

I am talking about soil beasties? Call them what you like.

Do a google on Soil Beasties. Most your questions will be answered.

18. i would put money on the fact that one of the main parts of any commercial sweetener is either molasses or other naturally occuring sweetener. although i have not done a side by side grow to see if there are any real beneficial reasons for using it. i do know from previous grows that i did not use it, the root mass on the plants where i used molasses was nearly doubled that of when i did not use it.. i was typically transplanting about 2 weeks earlier (from smaller container into final container) earlier then when i was not using it. i have a small sprout, and a fresh cut clone that i will do a side by side on once they get big enough to be fertilized.

19. #19 5150, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011

I do not get it. You said there is better ways but yet you use it as well? Did I miss something.

I do not agree with inefficient. I seen plenty of side by sides showing as well. I do agree with your first part though. I grew huge plants with great smoke never useing molasses.

Again your sweeteners are feeding the soil beasties. It the same as anyone watering with molasses.

I say the same to you about the 2nd bold part in your post.

About hydro I have no clue.

I would love to hear your side though. I will admit I stand to be corrected. I am not overly schooled when it comes to this stuff. Also Organics. Thanks Friend.

20. I will be doing a side by side on these two plants starting in the next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]