Project Vape:DIY magic Flight Launch Box (commence tommorow)ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by n0warning, Aug 24, 2011.

1. After reading up on many websites about DIY Magic flights I have decided to make one. Here are some links providing info.
    [8] and just perfected my own DIY Magic Flight Launch Box : trees http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/559899-diy-magic-flight-launch-box.html How does the Magic-Flight Launch Box vaporizer work, and how can I make one?
    Supplies:
    Tommorow I am going to get the following supplies.

-red maple wood block 2.5L / 1.5W / 1.1 H
    -stainless steel mesh ( 0.006" mesh, 304 stainless steel)
    -Plexiglass cover
    -copper plated stainless steel rods
    -stainless steel spring clip
    - AA batteries

Diagram:
    I am building this off of this diagram that was supplied on reddit. http://i.imgur.com/1WWzc.jpg

What the end result should look similar to: MFLB DIY - Imgur

Changes made by me: I am not going to solder the mesh to the wire due to that not being available to me.

Final Notes: -Please see the provided links for more details on how this is supposed to work and you will probably get a greater understanding of my project.

ALL HELP IS WELCOMED AND I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE IN ADVANCE! STAY TUNED AND TOMMOROW WILL BE AN AWSOME DAY BUILDING THIS THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!! ILL KEEP EVERYONE UPDATED ON MY PROGRESS AS THE DAY GOES ON!

2. cool man, let us know how it goes.

3. Will do my man. Im so exited I doubt im going to get much sleep ahaha. Now only if I had some bud...... :p

4. bump for the last time tonight to aware people , this is some valuable information right here!

5. #5 Kurt123, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
    That diagram, while the best one out there, is potentially wrong. I think the MFLB was made in mm, not inches.
    The wood part of the MFLB measures 69mm x 33.5mm x 18.5mm (But it doesn't matter)
    The chamber hole is 28mm is diameter (have fun drilling this, you need a large drill bit). The trench hole is as deep as your wooden block, minus about 1/4".
    The battery hole is 14mm in diameter (5/8").

Instead of copper coated steel rods, you can also use just about anything. Solid copper wire works too.

I highly suggest buying some silver solder (4% silver, 96% tin is common). Use this to solder the mesh to the rod if you have a soldering iron. If you don't have an iron, the next best method is to fold the screen around a copper rod and mash it together in a vice or with a hammer.

By the way, the part of the screen that heats up is 2.5cm long. I found a little shorter worked better for me. Every extra wire from the screen attached between the two rods lowers the temperature of the screen. If it's not hot enough, then trim some screen off. The part of the screen that heats up (ie trench) should be 3cm long. This is just for the part of the screen that heats up.

You will need to drill two holes for the heater: one for each rod. these holes don't need to be exact, but they determine the height of your screen. They both should go through your battery hole, the positive contact is bent to the middle after insertion, and the negative contact is bent in a circle (takes a little fiddling to get it right, bend it around something slightly smaller than a AA)

To keep pot on the rectangular 2.5x3 cm screen (assuming you didn't cut it all fancy like magic flight does), all you need to do is buy some air dry clay (actual clay, not polymer clay, since only actual clay can take heat). Use this to form a bowl around the screen. It is much easier than bending the screen correctly. Just throwing this out there in case you can't get the screen the right shape/temperature.

Best of luck, any questions just ask or PM.

6. WOW definitly some good information here. Thanks alot and when i encounter any problems ill be sure to hit you up my man!

7. Ok tommorow this chick wants me to go out with her and I also need to pick up weed for this project....I CANT SAY NO TO HER LOL but the project will still commence. I will start later however and it will be a night project. Probably start around 9-10 oclock and work on it untill its finished.

8. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a bit that can drill the large-ass hole. You might need to spend a bit of dough on it. Otherwise, it's going to take a while.

I'll get you more dimensions for tonight.

9. Pussy before pot man... You're doing life right.

10. use a hole saw for the hole

11. #11 n0warning, Aug 24, 2011

I tried to go out and buy all the materials today and boy am I pissed. All i have so far is the plexi glass. Saturday im going out to a wood supplier and getting the red maple wood. Im still havint rouble finding the copper coated stainless steel rod and the stainless steel mesh . DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT PLACES SELL THESE ? I LIVE IN CANADA BTW. I tried home depot,canadian tire,etc and found nothing. I had such an awsome day planned and it just turned to shit.......fuck.

EDIT: Also yes I do have all the drill bits necisary I have this huge set .

12. upon googling stainless steel mesh, i found alot of strainers, so maybe you could just get a strainer and cut a screen to size? also, are you sure you can't use copper wire or something? i'm fairly sure that could be bought at radioshack...

13. not necessary, the mflb uses copper clad iron rods

14. #14 Kurt123, Aug 24, 2011
    Standard sets only go up to 1/2" or 1" max, are you sure you have the required drill bit size?

- Any mesh screen will work, the smaller pieces will just fall through. Like already said, go to your dollar store, you should be able to get a tea ball or a strainer that will work. Go to eBay if you want a more suitable screen.
    3"x6" pollen kief kif 100 mesh stainless steel screen | eBay

- Any hard wood will work. Whereabouts in canada are you? I get my project wood from a place called exotic woods in burlington. As a last ditch effort, just use pine. Other woods that will work include (but are not limited to) rosewood, cherry, ebony, maple, oak, briar.
    Home - Exotic-Woods

- Most metal rod will work. You don't need to get stainless steel coppoer coated wire. I used the copper wire from some house electrical wire. You might be able to buy this by the foot at home depot. Whatever gauge you get doesn't really matter (14-10) as long as you make sure it's (sol)id wire, not (str)anded.
    RW 90 | 12ga SOL RW-90 WHITE 300M | Home Depot Canada
    http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...=Online&category=Hook+Up+Wire&product=2781305

- Don't worry about the clip so much. Just find some steel rod and bend it in to shape, or do what I did and use a screw. Drill a hole bigger than the thread of the screw in the plexiglass so it is free to turn. This has the disadvantage of not being 100% flush, but it works well enough.

- AA Batteries:
    Energizer® Recharge
    Energizer NiMh Charger | Canadian Tire
    Try walmart, best buy, etc.

When in doubt, everything you need is online.

15. VERY HELPFUL INFORMATION KURT! like really your a life saver. So here what I plan to get then (I should have these all on sturday, thats when I get to go out shopping again)

Copper wire- Easy to find probably hit up an electronics store or something
    Screen- Dollar store (Ill get the tea ball)
    Wood- SUPRISING YOU SAID THE BURLINGTON EXOTIC WOODS BECAUSE THATS WHERE IM GOING SATURDAY. I live in Oakville actually and im like 15 minuets away from the place.

So on that note on saturday I will continue with this and once again you guys have been a huge help and are definitly going to contribute to my success.

16. You're***

17. So the copper wire wraps around the side of the battery and the circuit completes at the other end which is the negative contact of the battery. This heats the copper wire which heats up the mesh.

Is that right I am having trouble understanding how it heats up.

I also tried this with house copper wire and a battery and got nothing that's why I think I'm doing something wrong. That or the battery is dead.

Also don't forget to update us tomorrow!!

18. I have heard that you need to strip the battery casing so its metal on metal. That could be the problem. Pritty much you have the right idea , when you push in the battery it complets the circuit which goes to the metal screen and heats it up. The dead battery is also a possibility. I just picked up this strainer that is made out of stainless steel and some copper wire. Tommorow im going to pick up the red maple wood and then im gona start to build . I will definitly keep you updated bro!

Also something interesting just happend. I live in the country and my neighbor made a path through this forest. I went down it for like 30 minuets and found this camera/video recorded (dont know what one it is) attatched to a tree so I get suspicious and look around and i think hes growing WEED!!! I took alot of pictures and a sample piece back home with me. There was alot of it so I doubt it is weed but theres stil a possibility! Ill post the pics and c what u guys think!

19. Pics:: first 2 are the camera/video camera. The rest are what I think might be weed plant????? (not frimiliar with them so it probably isnt :( )

Attached Files:

20. No lol. That's some wild plant not weed unfortunately.

But imma try this out as well after i get mesh and the wood