Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana used to treat PTSD!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by side11, Aug 15, 2011.

1. The VA is going to study the effects of marijuana on 50 PTSD patients. This is nothing new. Studies have been done before with positive results in PTSD patients. It calms anger and suppresses the urge to hurt other people. I'm being treated with marijuana for my PTSD and it works. Please excuse my language in advance. I've been fucked around by the government for years! The VA announcing their study is only because 14 states that approve medical marijuana for use has caused the VA to revamp their policy in those state with Medical Marijuana rights. In the past if a vet came up positive for marijuana, the VA would suspend issuing the vet their medications especially pain (narcotic meds). If you are a VA vet and use marijuana, make sure you get a medical marijuana license or registry card if available in your state to protect yourself from losing benefits. If you could have seen the directors face at my local VA clinic when I presented her with my medical marijuana registry certificate. Know your rights! I can smoke a bowl or eat an edible and treat my pain, PTSD, nausea and tremors with one substance vs. taking a separate pill for each condition. I'm trying to get the VA to buy me a vaporizor. Good luck!

2. If you're looking into PTSD, search up an organization called MAPS. They specialize in therapy using marijuana and other -- unmentionable in this forum -- drugs.

3. It's the fact that it's the VA that makes this a big deal.
    The VA normally shovels the gov't horseshit line about it being good for nothing, etc...

4. :bongin::confused_2:

5. The VA saved my fathers life. I've never seen the VA shoveling this so called shit you speak of... I'm not quite sure I even understand what you are saying.

The VA is a medical organization, so they can't deny the positive effects of marijuana in treatment of symptoms like PTSD.

6. Can you please provide a link to this information regarding the VA? As far as I know the FDA has approved a study of treating PTSD with cannabis, but I am not aware of the VA's involvement. I know that the VA relaxed MMJ rules a few years ago.

The study that the FDA approved was a MAPS study protocol.

http://www.cdscenters.com/blog/2011/06/09/fda-approves-study-of-cannabis-ptsd-symptoms/

Understand that it is unlikely that this study will ever be done. Access to government medical marijuana is controlled by NIDA, and NIDA has consistently blocked access to government marijuana for FDA approved studies in the past.

But we keep fighting... :)

7. OC- here's a news article about the VA easing things up-

V.A. Easing Rules for Users of Medical Marijuana (news – 2010)
    V.A. Eases Rules for Medical Marijuana - NYTimes.com

And as long as I'm at it- here's more on PTSD and cannabis-

Never fear, cannabinoids are here (article - 2002)
    http://mcforadhd.free.fr/naturefear.pdf

The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinction of aversive memories.
    (abst - 2002) The endogenous cannabinoid system controls extinct... [Nature. 2002] - PubMed result

'Natural' cannabis manages memory (news - 2002)
    BBC NEWS | Health | 'Natural' cannabis manages memory

Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories (news - 2002)
    cannabisnews.com: Study: Marijuana Eases Traumatic Memories

Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories (news - 2002)
    Cannabis-like Brain Chemical Blocks Out Bad Memories: Scientific American

Endocannabinoids extinguish bad memories in the brain (news - 2002)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Marijuana-Like Compound Banishes Fear (news - 2002)
    Marijuana-Like Compound Banishes Fear

Natural high helps banish bad memories (news - 2002)
    Natural high helps banish bad memories - 31 July 2002 - New Scientist

Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana (news - 2004)
    NewsMine.org - Israel to soothe soldiers with marijuana

Enhancing Cannabinoid Neurotransmission Augments the Extinction of Conditioned Fear (full - 2005) Neuropsychopharmacology - Enhancing Cannabinoid Neurotransmission Augments the Extinction of Conditioned Fear

Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor Mediates Fear Extinction via Habituation-Like Processes (full - 2006)
    Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor Mediates Fear Extinction via Habituation-Like Processes

Aversive memory reactivation engages in the amygdala only some neurotransmitters involved in consolidation. (full – 2006) Aversive memory reactivation engages in the amygdala only some neurotransmitters involved in consolidation

PTSD and Cannabis: A Clinician Ponders Mechanism of Action (news - 2006)
    CCRMG

Cannabis Eases Post Traumatic Stress (news - 2006) CCRMG

Modulation of Fear and Anxiety by the Endogenous Cannabinoid System (full - 2007)
    Modulation of Fear and Anxiety by the Endogenous Cannabinoid System

Inhibition of fatty-acid amide hydrolase accelerates acquisition and extinction rates in a spatial memory task. (full – 2007)
    http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v32/n5/pdf/1301224a.pdf

Posttraumatic stress symptom severity predicts marijuana use coping motives among traumatic event-exposed marijuana users (abst - 2007)
    Posttraumatic stress symptom severity predicts marijuana use coping motives among traumatic event-exposed marijuana users.

Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice (news - 2007)
    Medical Marijuana: PTSD Medical Malpractice - Salem-News.Com

Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal (news - 2007)
    LP: Cannabis for the Wounded - Another Walter Reed Scandal

Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (full – 2008)
    Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Marijuana Therapy for Veterans with PTSD (article – 2008)
    Ask Joan » Blog Archive » Marijuana Therapy for Veterans with PTSD

Cannabinoid Receptor Activation in the Basolateral Amygdala Blocks the Effects of Stress on the Conditioning and Extinction of Inhibitory Avoidance (full - 2009)
    Cannabinoid Receptor Activation in the Basolateral Amygdala Blocks the Effects of Stress on the Conditioning and Extinction of Inhibitory Avoidance

The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the management of treatment-resistant nightmares in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). (abst - 2009)
    The use of a synthetic cannabinoid in the manageme... [CNS Neurosci Ther. 2009] - PubMed result

Patients with post-traumatic stress disorder may benefit from synthetic marijuana
    (news - 2009)
    Patients with post-traumatic stress disorder may benefit from synthetic marijuana - Health Jockey

Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD (news - 2009)
    Marijuana could alleviate symptoms of PTSD | Health

Marijuana could prove helpful for post-traumatic stress disorder patients. (news - 2009)
    Marijuana could prove helpful for post-traumatic stress disorder patients. - Free Online Library

'Pot' may help combat PTSD U. of Haifa study shows (news - 2009)
    ISRAELI STUDY: POT MAY HELP COMBAT PTSD -- "The results of our research should encourage psychiatric investigation into using cannabinoids." - VA Watchdog dot Org - 11-05-2009

PTSD contributes to teen and young adult cannabis use disorders. (full – 2010)
    PTSD Contributes to Teen and Young Adult Cannabis Use Disorders

Cannabinoids modulate hippocampal memory and plasticity. (abst – 2010)
    Cannabinoids modulate hippocampal memory and plast... [Hippocampus. 2010] - PubMed result

Cannabis and PTSD by Michael McKenna (anecdotal - 2010) Marijuana-Uses » Blog Archive » Cannabis and PTSD by Michael McKenna

The role of cannabinoids in modulating emotional and non-emotional memory processes in the hippocampus. (full – 2011)
    The Role of Cannabinoids in Modulating Emotional and Non-Emotional Memory Processes in the Hippocampus

Posttraumatic stress disorder and Cannabis use in a nationally representative sample. (abst – 2011) Posttraumatic stress disorder and Cannabis use in ... [Psychol Addict Behav. 2011] - PubMed result

Cannabinoid receptor expression and phosphorylation are differentially regulated between male and female cerebellum and brain stem after repeated stress: Implication for PTSD and drug abuse. (abst – 2011) Cannabinoid receptor expression and phosphorylatio... [Neurosci Lett. 2011] - PubMed result

Hope that helps! :D

Granny :wave:

8. Thanks Granny! I was aware of the VA relaxing their position on medical marijuana.

I believe that the OP is referring to the FDA approval of the MAPS study protocol for PTSD, which I do not believe involves the VA (unless there is something I've missed).

9. Since im already here, what is VA?

10. #10 mooseman82, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Veteran Affairs I I think. I can attest to the fact it works on PTSD as I was almost beaten to death in HS and it is oh so helpful with TS,ADD,Anxiety and depression. For me at least.

11. It is the Veterans Administration(VA) or Department of Veterans Affairs. I guess I sparked a little discussion with this thread. I got my info from Army Times, this months issue talks about the 50 patient(all vets) being studied with the use of marijuana to treat PTSD. My therapist swears by it as a medicinal treatment for PTSD. I as a patient swear by it also. My wife can tell horror stories about me until I got treatment.:smoking:

12. I'm glad for your father that the VA didn't drop the ball on him.
    I've been involved with the VA for about 4 years now. They manage to not drop the ball on me for about 50% of the time. It took them 5 days to get around to pulling my gall bladder, five long miserable days in the hospital getting poked and prodded every hour, getting next to no sleep, and by the end of the ordeal I was so jumpy I don't' even want to go near a hospital again.

In the past the VA would deny mmj patients certain services simply because other, non-VA doctors gave them a mmj rec.
    All that being said, VA docs are much much much better than active duty docs. It was an active duty doc that screwed up a routine scope on my left knee and left me with a permanent mobility challenge, arthritis pain, and a civilian after ten years in the Navy. I went from E1 to E6 in 7 years, and at 10 years was up for e7 (the line between PO1 and CPO is a big deal).