Chicken poop?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by KittyInACup619, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Just got some chicken manure. A friend told me it should help with nitrogen deficiencies. It's just some shit in a bucket right now, and I've no more soil to mix it in with. How can I give my plants this chicken crap? Mix it in with water?

2. bump.

• Like Like x 1
  3. You can make a tea if you like. Chicken shit is hot. Really hot and can burn plants easy.

I have only read on it though. No first hand. I would not mix it into your soil. I THINK!! you can make tea though. Ask around...

4. 1
    Determine how much chicken manure you need to fertilize your garden. The basic rule of thumb is to use 50 pounds of chicken manure per 100 square feet of garden soil.

Choose your preferred method to fertilize your garden with chicken manure. There are three ways: mixing the manure directly into the garden soil, making a manure tea, or composting the manure.

Allow the manure to age before broadcasting it into the soil (should you choose the direct method). It is the safest way to fertilize if you do not want to compost or make a manure tea.

Directly Mixing Manure into the Soil

Use a large scoop to broadcast the chicken manure evenly over your garden soil.

Let the manure rest in a pile outdoors for at least three weeks before spreading the chicken manure.

Work the aged chicken manure into your garden soil using a hoe or tiller before planting.

Making Chicken Manure Tea for Fertilizer

Prepare the chicken manure tea by filling a large garbage can three-fourths full of water .

Shovel the chicken manure into a burlap bag, put in a rock or brick and then tie the opening shut with twine. Place the burlap bag in the water-filled garbage can. The rock or brick will weigh down the burlap bag, keeping it submersed in the water.

Allow the chicken manure to sit for three weeks in the water. The water will become rich with nutrients, creating chicken manure tea.

Fill a watering can or sprayer with the manure tea and water your garden plants or seeds so they can benefit from this homemade liquid fertilizer.

Composting Chicken Manure for Fertilizer

Add the chicken manure to your existing compost pile and water it thoroughly.

Use a rake or pitchfork to turn over the composting material, mixing the chicken manure with the other organic ingredients.

Turn the manure every two to three weeks to aerate the compost pile. In about six months, the chicken manure compost will be ready to spread over your garden soil as fertilizer.

Fertilize your garden by mixing the composted chicken manure into the soil using a hoe or tiller.

Tips & Warnings

Choose chicken manure mixed with litter such as hay, sawdust or wood shavings because the nitrogen content is typically higher than manure without litter. Wear gloves to protect your hands from fresh chicken manure as it could harbor viruses, worm eggs or even bacteria that cause chicken disease.

Do not spread fresh chicken manure as fertilizer because it contains high nitrogen levels that will burn and possibly kill the plants in your garden.

5. #5 KittyInACup619, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    awesome! hey, since I'm using potting soil rather than gardening soil, would that change the ratio (i.e. 50 lbs manure to 100 square feet soil)? I'm guessing no but I'd rather be safe than sorry. thank you so much for this detailed response!

I have my own chicken, just one but anyway he poops alot.
    Would I go about drying his poop or what? & he we give him paper shreddings, if I went about buying wood shaving and adding them to the chicken manure while it's composting would that be okay?

7. I use schutzmann farms composted chicken manure as a top dress :-D its composted so no burning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. compost tea can be made from this?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Manure tea. I wouldn't use chicken poo for my plants. It's more of an outdoor veggie garden type of thing. Are you planning on using it like compost in a soil recipe?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. I want to restore good bacteria into some sterilized soil. And the chicken poo is $3

11. Each type of humus has a different variety of microbiology. Compost and castings are what you use to build soil. Manure is mainly a fertilizer. You could take that manure and let it sit out in a flower garden and in no time you will have worms turning it to castings.

Compost and castings are what you want. While I realize the manure is cheap, you can skimp on other items. The compost is like the engine to a car. Using compost made of wood primarily called wood humus is not very good. If you use that then you will be driving a slow car but if you spend some money on a premium compost or better yet castings, you'll be driving a sports car. You plants yield will go up and they will fight pests better. It's a worth while investment.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Black Gold 8 Qt Earthworm Castings (1490302 8QT P) - Soil & Conditioners - Ace Hardware
    Think I should go with this instead?

Blackgold worm castings.
    Black Gold 8 Qt Earthworm Castings (1490302 8QT P) - Soil & Conditioners - Ace Hardware

13. That's better than manure but still a slow car. I put an ad on Craigslist looking for what I needed and got a couple responses. I put it in the farm section.

What general area of the world are you located? Some regions have a well known compost like east coast has Coast of Maine, California has Malibu Compost, pnw has OlyFish compost.

14. You probably won't find a bagged product that fits the bill. There are a few castings and compost companies that do have a decent bagged product.

15. I will go with worm castings instead. Im in North California

16. image.jpg
    Someone who I was helping find good compost found Organic Alive Premium Soil Amendment and it looked very good. Here's a link to their list of retailers if you enter your zip code. Organics Alive

You also have access to Malibu Compost which is also very good and easily accessed.

17. I would never use fresh chicken poop on any of my vegetable gardens. The above was a great tutorial about da shit!

18. When I put my plants in the ground, I worked in homemade compost that was aged a month to two months (bottom layers being older than the top layer of compost) which consisted of cut up leafy greens, raw veggie scraps, dried leaves, hay, and the poop from my three chickens who are non stop poop machines! I thought I had aged the compost enough that the poop was safe, but I noticed evidence of nutrient burn on random leaves of two plants. It's not enough to make me worry, but next season I will make sure to age my compost at least three months before using it. When my plants were still in pots, I used my pee as a nitrogen fertilizer, 1 part pee to 20 parts water. Once you get past the "ewwww!" factor, you will find your pee is an amazing fertilizer.