Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can Marijuana Cause Anemia?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by LovingTree, Aug 7, 2011.

1. I have been smoking pot daily for about 7 months now. It's great- it stops my emotional swings, anxiety, worries, and depression.

However, I noticed that I have become a lot more slim (skinny) and I find myself still wanting to sleep or rest even after 12 hours of sleep....

According to symptoms, Anemia can give you fatigue and make you skinny. Is this correct? If so, Can Marijuana Cause Anemia?

2. Marijuana always helps me fall asleep

3. Thanks for relevantly answering my question. :rolleyes:

4. No marijuana does not cause anemia.
    You might want to start buying a different strain, being as how every strain is unique with its own medicinal purpose..
    You might be looking for a more sativa-dominant rather than your current indica-dominant (or so I believe)

5. I don't think marijuana could cause anemia.
    But if you think that you have it (two symptoms isn't very convincing) you should talk to a doctor.
    A few things that you can do in the meantime is have a professional massage (helps blood circulation), cold water baths, take more vitamin c, exercise, yoga, etc. I think there are also a number of herbs/plants like dandelion that can help strengthen your blood.
    But anemia is a serious issue so you should probably see a doctor if you're really convinced you have it.

6. No it does not, in fact that's just another thing marijuana actually helps with, Anemia is where your blood has lower than normal amount of Red blood cells.
    If you have anemia, your body doesn't get enough oxygen-rich blood. As a result, you may feel tired and have other symptoms. Severe or long-lasting anemia can damage the heart, brain, and other organs of the body. Very severe anemia may even cause death. And there is no way marijuana can kill of red blood cells.

Here is some info on how Medical Marijuana can help forms of anemia Medical Marijuana and Sickle Cell Anemia

7. Yeah, I did a little networking and I can come the same conclusion, you're correct. However, I feel like I do have some appetite issues, maybe that is contributing to my weight loss?

8. I'm sleeping/ being lazy but not losing any weight ಠ_ಠ

9. Trust me man it's nothing to do with Marijuana, look deeper stress maybe, and again :D weight loss is just another thing Marijuana greatly helps. Sometimes we just go through phases in our lives nothing causes it, like at the moment i'm really under weight it's because i'm 21 and currently my metabolism is really fast.

10. #10 Laith, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011
    Depression / Anxiety cause weight gain in most people. Weed probably has cured your anxiety and depression. Then that just means you're losing what the depression caused.

I used to be quite chubby, 6 ft tall but 260 pounds. Been smoking for a year, and i'm down to 200. It's really quite a mental thing.

11. If you want to be sure you don't have anemia ask your doctor for a CBC and ferritin test. The ferritin test will tell you at what number your iron reserves are. They should not be under 12 for women and not over 45.

I believe that from your question, I understood an ulterior message. It's true that while you've been on this marijuana binge, you noticed your thinking about eating habits in an orderly fashion have changed.

12. The original poster probably won't read your reply as this thread was made in 2011 and it's over 7 years old you should check the dates before posting.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I had the same issue but that was because it was sativa so I wasn’t as hungry then I switched to Indica and I just can’t stop eating lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum