Moon Phases and Spirituality

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Cannabliss88, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Does anyone like to observe the changing of the moon? I feel a certain energy sometimes when the moon is full (good or bad) and when its a new moon or close to it like now I feel sort of drained.

The new moon represents setting goals and sending intention out into the universe. As the moon gets full it represents the gradual progress of fulfilling your goals and intentions.

I'm still struggling to understand the waning of the moon. (When its getting less full)

Anyone else into the spiritual aspect of the moon?

2. Well, I've never personally been driven by the ideology of the moon itself, but I can see the metaphoric intention of a "full moon". But, I thought this song may have relevance considering the album title "Dark Side of the Moon":

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiahoYfPGk]‪Time - Pink Floyd + Lyrics‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
    And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again
    The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on quiet desperation is the English way
    The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

Home, home again
    I like to be here when I can
    And when I come home cold and tired
    It’s good to warm my bones beside the fire
    Far away across the field
    The tolling of the iron bell
    Calls the faithful to their knees
    To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

3. ^ Mate, Time has absolutely nothing to do with the moon, lol. Fucking sweet song nonetheless.

Anyway, I don't know man. The moon holds no spiritual significance for me; when I notice it changing, I would just think about the slowly differing juxtapositions of the earth, moon, sun... Nothing really spiritual about that.

In my opinion.

4. #4 DBV, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
    I know, but if you replace the sun reference with the moon, it does.. anyways, I meant it to refer more to the whole theme of the album..

5. I may not have metaphysical appreciation for the moon, but I routinely admire it's beauty and find it a focal point to get a bearing on the Universe.

I look up and try to contextualize myself on the no-way-is-up side of a planet, tacked by gravity, watching this wordlet spin and dance in slow motion around me. It reminds me that there are grander systems out there than the ones of politics and social organization.

It's also humbling to know that this little planetoid has been our companion for as long as the Earth has held life. Our ancestors from before we were even humans used to once look up and ponder the meaning and purpose of the moon. It was their traveling companion on long over-night journeys.

6. The moons phases do affect human behavior. It's hard to ignore the fact that hospitals pretty much dread them for a reason. But when it boils down to it, it's likely just psychosomatic.

7. Tis a myth.

The biggest statistical correlation between moon phases and health effect is gastrointestinal bleeding in males, interestingly. Sympathetic menstruation perhaps? :p

8. Aye, psychosomatic. I think it's probably a large scale minor mass hysteria.

And yeah, that is the male menstruation.

9. Actually, I shouldn't say that the phases of the moon have NOTHING to do with human behaviour.

The moon has been essential to many calendrical systems in human history and represents a relatively consistent mode of time-telling. Human biology may not be directly linked by it, but it is profoundly inspired by lunar time-keeping.

Also:

[​IMG]

10. Probably more likely a statistical quirk.

11. #11 TesseLated, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
    I enjoy the full moon's beauty.....especially over the ocean.....It's spiritual in the sense that it is inspiring.......but all in all the moon's phases are just a cycle, imo....pretty much everything is so.