ppm to high?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by PapaSquirt, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 8 - 5 gallon buckets and im doing Lucas formula. i have RO and just added some cal/mag in to my buckets and now my ppm's are around 1300 also i added it to my already mixed for a few days nutes. is that going to be a problem?

2. Hi..

I do the Lucas formula in GH Waterfarms. While I start my nutes out (after adding clones) around 600, I slowly let it increase to around 1400 during veg and slightly higher during flower.

You should be fine at 1300, assuming that they are established in your hydro setup.

Good Luck!

3. What do you guys usually start you hydro PPM at for some blackberry kush plants that are about 1-3 feet tall.

I think i might be getting nute burn at around 700 on week 1 n 2\

It is now in the 500's

4. ...what type of lights are you growing under? Why did you add the cal./mag.....did you see plant problems? You say 1300 ppm, is your TDS meter in .5 or .7 conversion?

5. Im assuming he added cal-mag because he is using RO water. It is recommended but generally not needed when using lucas. I ran into problems early veg running 1/4 strength lucas with calcium deficiency.

If I remember correctly running lucas at 8-16 puts EC at 2.3-2.4 which would be 1150-1200 ppm add in cal-mag and that would definitely put you over 1300.

My plants prefer me to run lucas at 7-14 but I also add in 8 ml/gal of big bud as well. That puts me at an EC of 2.2.

6. ...I also run the Lucas Formula w/ RO water and no cal.mag. is needed (for me)...you can view my minifarm linked in my sig to view my results...I'm aware that some use cal.mag. with the lucas formula when using RO water....I was just wondering if he has physically had a cal.mag. issue before adding the cal./mag.

...I usually go by the EC, it's just easier and universal,I keep an EC of 1.2... I use RO water, no cal.mag. nor any P boosters. K.I.S.S.

7. Oh I think you misunderstood me. Could be my poor grammar.

What I meant to say was that cal-mag is recommended for use with RO water; however rarely ever needed when using the lucas formula. He may not have known that about lucas formula.

8. ...hey Papasquirt, you can view the thread "Ask Lucas" linked in my sig for all your Lucas formula questions....straight from the horse's mouth :metal:

9. 1300 ppm might not be too high of a nutrient concentration. It all depends on how old your plants are and how much vegetation they have on them. If it is to high you will notice that over time, when you check the ppm's and pH, the ppm's will increase and the pH will drop. When you over feed, the plants leave behind fertilizer in the water. Fertilizer is acidic, so when they start drinking more water and leaving behind fertilizer. The nutrient solution becomes too acidic and the pH drops. The trick is to find the nutrient concentration that your plants want, so that they drink water and eat nutrients at the same ratio. When you find the concentration that they like you will notice over time that the ppm's and pH will stay the same with little drift or swing.

good luck!