Getting my first car

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Jnug, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Alright so I don't know very much about cars, just what I read from different sites like topspeed, edmunds, cars, etc so I figured I'd ask GC. I'm not entire sure what I want for my first car. My only real guidelines are it has to be under 22k and has to have good fuel efficiency. But I want something that drives smoothly, easy to control and turn. The few cars I'm thinking of are:

All 2011 or 2012.
    - Honda Civic Sedan
    - Honda Insight
    - Ford Focus
    - Ford Fiesta
    - Toyota Prius
    - Mazda3
    - Hyundai Elentra

I may be able to get my moms BMW (believe it's a 335i Sedan) but that may not happen because their worried about me getting pulled over by cops all the time.
    Which car do you think I should go for? Any suggestions that I havn't named?

Thanks GC :wave:

2. Mazdaspeed Mazda3 would be really nice if you want something a bit sportier.

I'd say between the Ford's or Mazda. Honda Civic is nice, but it's nothing "special." But definitely go for a test drive in them and see what feels right for you.

3. I love the Fords right now. If you can get the 335 DO NOT HESITATE!! Those engines are so incredibly fun. Driving those other cars will not even be close

4. If you want to save most money you can then, go with Prius or Insight.
    I would go for CRZ if I were you.
    I currently have z4 and my lease is up next year summer and I'm debating whether to keep this car or go for one of those list you have there.
    I only like driving manuel gear box. So my preference might be different than yours.
    Good luck 22k is very good budget.

5. HE SAID PRIUS!!!!! Lol op, if you wantto be a laughing stock get a prius.. I drive a minivan and everyone agreed that a prius would be worse. If you're thinking prius for economy, just get a diesel car. Sorry, but those cars are aweful. I like the new Focus's... And honda's are respectable if you DON'T rice them up. 2004 and up Dodge's are fucking great if you take car of them. My grand caravan has 125,000 miles on it and at 100,000 it was misfiring on 3 cylinders, half an engine gone for a month (parents car at the time, they dont listen), all she needed was new distributor, plugs, and wires and she ran like new. Switched from regular to full synthetic oil at about 123,000 miles, no leaks. I'm not saying get a van, i'm just saying mopar makes some good shit. My mom's car is a caliber 2.0L at 57,000 and running great, been on full synthetic oil though its whole life.

6. People can hate on synthetic all they want, but up til 200k on my tahoe it was ran on partial synthetic then at 200k switched to full, and shes still running strong. at 250k now, but i change my oil every 3k miles hopefully i'll get another 250k more.

I really like the focus' every one i've been in i've liked.

7. Dodge isn't all what you make it cracked up to be.

Also, my mom has a Prius. It's not too bad, but it's definitely not sporty. Though, It does have a sport button which engages the gas engine sooner than using the electric motor.:rolleyes:

8. Ford Focus

lololololololololololololololololololol @ "sport" mode on a prius omg

9. if you buy a prius, I will find you, and I will make you key it... -_- all prius drivers are assholes.

oh also if you can get the BMW, if its a bit newer get tints for it, and cops won't fuck with you.. Or they might because you have the tints, but atleast they won't because you're a teenager. BMW is best bet.

10. if your trying not to get noticed by the cops i would say DON'T get tint. My eyes are sensitive to light which makes driving hard sometimes so my car is tinted up. I get bothered all the time about it even with a prescription

11. get a 98 bmw 528 and black it out with a body kit... still more reliable than whats out there, it's good on gas, and its got sex appeal

12. any of that is pretty good if its new pretty much any car is gewd
    hasn't had time for it to have murdered suspension or romped out of being new

13. The cops aren't going to give a sh*t. Take the BMW.

14. Really? Everyone I know who has had a Dodge for more than 3 years has loved it. Hell, my van is still on factory suspension front and back. 7 years old. Plus you can't have sport where there was none to begin with....

Hell yes, my car even runs a bit better too.

15. ^lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Only dodge I owned that didnt blow up or turned into a pos was my 03 srt4 I ran 22psi on stock turbo for 118k miles and its now sitting in my garage waiting for me to dump money into it. It still runs good but it's tired and I got other fun wheels to drive now

17. I have a 2001 Honda civic. Just hit 200,000 miles a couple months ago, and it's still running perfectly. Great cars, really reliable, and great gas mileage.

18. I live in a red neck town and everyone either has a dodge, chevy, or ford pick up. We have a chevy and the damn guages in it stopped working... Or are you laughing at my "you can't have sport where there was none to begin with..." part?

Anyway, maybe we just got lucky with our Dodge's.. Although our first van had something go wrong with it (01 grand caravan i think) where the turn signal lights would all flash at the same time, then the regular lights would flash at the same time. Turning on the lights didnt fix it and neither did unplugging the battery... :confused: stil don't know what was wrong with it... Mopar guy though... Then chevy ;) never ford.

19. Honda Fit

Seriously. Make fun of me all you want, but my friend has the sport model and I'm in love with it.
    Or a civic

20. Get a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, then since you will be saving money from getting that you can do whatever you want to it. Maybe put a turbo in, maybe get tinted windows if you wanna burn cruise haha. Really up to you though. That's just the car I am going to be getting here in the near future.