Spider mites? or soil mites?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by OhioStateBuckeyes, Jul 3, 2011.

1. UPDATE: i recieved my bottle of botaniguard today. i used an application throughout the whole medium at 1ml per gal. i mixed this in with my other nutes (i held back on feeding them for two weeks, only got enzymes and h2o2). the bottle didnt reccomend this, but i just wanted to get some of the fungi throughout the whole medium. my idea behind this is it may make it easier for the main application i spray on to colonize throughout the entire container easier. i mixed 1.5 tsp per quart in a spray, and sprayed the tops of all of my soils very thoroughly with the botanicare.

immidiatley afterward i used a doktor doom pyrethrum fogger. even if this wouldnt kill alot of the aphids, i wanted to use the fogger to scare them back into the soil.

i believe my method worked. i see lots of tiny bugs in the soil with no movement. whatsoever. 4 hours after the application.

this shit says it is safe to use up untill the day of harvest.

botaniguard is the bee's knees!

2. glad to see it killed the fuckers! toke on brother

3. thank you very much :D :D :D

i would reccomend this to anybody. very very, almost instant effective for me. this morning one plant was so badly infested, you could see about two hundred maybe even three hundred crawling all in the soil. i used that stuff and literally only saw 2 walking insects in the whole pot. i sat there and looked through the dirt for 15 minutes and found only 2 walkers. tons of dead or sick ones. i looked at one very close with a microscope and its antannaes were the only thing moving on it. before they used to scurry when i blew a little air on the soil. they dont move worth shit now.

the plants also have seem to have shown significant improvement over even the last few hours. a few plants i didnt water, and i just sprayed the botaniguard concentrate on the soil. they have grown a half inch since i have done that about 4-5 hours ago.

like i said, i would deffinitley reccomend this product for any type of insect that has a life cycle in the soil. it will surley kill the insects in their soil stage. insects walking around infected with the mycocide will infect others with spores.

since there is a living thing attacking the pests, i dont believe they will be able to have an immunity to it.

i am going to use this product from now on, as a preventitive precaution. even though many hydroponic supply distributers dont carry botaniguard, it is an outstanding product with quick, succesful results. like i said, i can already tell my plants are happier

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

4. :smoke:

haha I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.

Luckily I had a infestation to a lesser extent. Around 30 -50 bugs, just transplanted from the soil immedately repotted with fresh out of the bag soil mix in the same pots. Dipped the whole damn plants rootball in a huge bucket of luke warm water, probably shocked the hell out of them but i knew i couldnt risk infection with a self-breeding female like you said. Worked wonders!!:D

I know i was lucky because they probably had countless larvae in the soil, glad none carried over since i didn't wash the bucket:devious:

I saw one today though...only one and thats a week after, quickly picked it out. Bye bye muthafucka :cool:

So i really appreciate the work you've put into your post, and if it comes back. I'll know exactly what i'll need to buy.

Cheers mate, repped.:wave::smoke::hello:

5. #25 Rippedmofuck, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    I JUST FOUND THIS DEAD ONE!

I saw it had wings which was weird. Then to my horror i looked at your previous post. I hope this pots are not infectd with eggs, cus that will be a pain in the ass.
    The quality is shit, and its probably better as a thumbnail.
    I also saw this white spider but with a different shape; longer legs, and no wings.

On smokin' on this dank tn in other newz just chopped a nug up :D

Attached Files:

6. there are so many bugs that have life cycles in the soil. thrips have 3. these root aphid shits have their entire life in the soil except when they have wings.

root aphids have life births in their crawling stage. when they enter their winged stage, they lay eggs.alot of aphids are like this.

aphids may enter the winged stage when their food supplies are running low. if you start to see winged ones flying, you should take care of it immiediatley.

if you dont see hardly any crawlers in the soil to the visible eye, but lots of fliers, your problem is probablly a whitefly problem. they lay eggs and their larvae hatch in the soil, than mature and fly around. botaniguard will kill them but i believe gnatrol can work better for fungus gnats. gnatrol is great for blackflies, whiteflies, and mosquitos.

i would definitley reccomend taking eradication measures asap. the roots are the heart and soul of your plant, not only do they eat away the plant, causing leaves to fall off one by one, but they stress it out like no other. stressed plants arent happy plants.

sorry, i cant really tell with your picture, but if your plants are flowering i would take care of it asap. they can really diminish your quanity of harvest.

7. They are truly the cockroaches of cannabis pests, they survived multiple soil drenches with neem; diatomaceous earth; you name it! I saw they had several forms so I decided to use several treatments. IMO the manufacturers are responsible for this outbreak last year I only bought FF OF & HF for soils and Cocotek blocks. Check out your mediums before you use them pour them in the pots and water it down heavily if they're in there they're coming out; observe for pests. I have seen pics of a grower who uses a product called Met52,( a strain of biocide that kills them) with success. Mine should be here soon. I don't wanna see another RA the rest of my life. Whatever you're using if you stop treating and one female survives it'll be and infestation all over again

8. i just looked up met52, and the active fungi in it - Metarhizium anisopliae, seems similar to Beauveria bassiana, which is in Botaniguard. I am having pretty good success with the botaniguard. they are both myco based. met52 gives the insects green muscardine disease, while botaniguard gives them white muscardine disease.

9. I'm thinking of ordering cococoir...a alternative to soil.
    Anyone ever used it b4, or have an alternate medium that comes guarenteed bug free.

Im gonna keep this one outside for now, I'm not planning on her interacting with my other clones indoor.

10. I like when growers are able to come together and
    work as a team to figure out a problem.

Public props to u all :).

Soil mites will NEVER cause damage to a plant.
    They are a naturally occurring part of the microclimate.

They only feast on the composting detritus in the soil.

The only time they will indirectly harm a plant is if
    their numbers are too high.

Then they will be competing with the plant for nutes (organic matter).

When Im baked, I often get right in there with a magnifyer and watch the goins on of these
    interesting little fellows. They have a system, just like Ants. They have good little brains !!!

Freak
    :smoke:

11. honestly, i decided to try a 100% coco mix of nutrifield brand coco for a couple of plants - and thats how i think i got the little fuckers - from the compressed coco bricks. not to mention i think the coco made it easier for the bugs to move around. i enjoy how fast things grow in coco, and i like how the plants respond very well to it. it has its pros and its cons. i really believe the best way to use coco would be to set up a drip irrigation system.

unfortunatley, if i had any of these benificial soil mites, im sure this botaniguard stuff im using killed them off. but the aphids are gone, and thats the important thing.

these two types of fungi will kill any bugs that come in contact with the sprayed area.

here is the botaniguard's fungi that killed a grasshopper
    [​IMG]

and here is the fungi in met52 that killed a cockroach. thats right, a cockroach.
    [​IMG]

i love nature. there is always an organic solution to every problem. who needs avid?

12. Haha.

Sweeeet :devious:.

Freak

13. try putting ladybugs on the plants, then the ladybugs kill them and you can take the ladybugs off before you dry the buds and stuff when you harvest, that's what i did

14. The fungus will kill the beneficials too man.

Are u just kidding or are u trying to really
    live up to your username - "Daft" - as the Scottish would say ???

Dont take this personal man ;):).

Freak

15. Haha I'm going to pickup some met52, i like the total ownage black plague look of that lil bitch mite. :smoke::cool:

In other news me and my boys were playing football....one toss overthrow hit my bucket ...snapped my stem at the base...i was like

:smoke:..:)...:confused:....:(......:mad:..... :eek: ... FUCKKKKKKK

16. i have these white spider mite lookin critters too, drenched twice in 3 days with Monterey Takedown garden spray miticide which worked Very effectively on my spider mites but i think these white bastards are just drinking it and laughing at me.i'm thinking of covering with sand.How long and can too long covering hurt the roots?

17. AAwww man...

Thank GOD for duct tape - wont hurt a bit :).

Freak

18. Well I spent so much money and i should have just tried botaniguards.

My shits are not gone, fuck SNS it works but not very well on stages and i've drenched these plants 6 times in the stuff.

Wish i was not poor, oh well I have 4 weeks left to go until harvest. I'm just gonna deal with the fuckers and hope i can figure out a way to get some money together.

I'm flat out broke and can only "deal" with them now

19. Sometimes, nature is not enough to tackle things.

That is why GOD gave us brains bigger than the rest, and to come up with some
    SAFE alternatives, created by ourselves (Organic , of course)

Ask me and ye shall receive lol.

Freak

20. #40 Rippedmofuck, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
    I just tossed it. Fuck outdoors I moved my other clone indoors. I was so sad man i lost my girl she was growing great:(

But it gave me some motivation to save the fragile younger one.

I just made a cab used like 50 screws, several hooks, about 10 feet in 3 chains total length, and a bit of side wall paneling.

I got lucky when the construction works in my basement tore down one wall they kept the refuse all lined up. It would cost him to take it to the dump when i asked. So i thought i'd do my good deed ;):rolleyes: After it was MY wall.:devious:

Transplanted into Premium Nature Mix 100% Organic Blend Potting Soil
    that has, humus, compost, perlite, and peat moss. Great aeration soil and ph was neutral.

Watered a little, after a quick trip to Costco picked up 6 pack of 23w CFLS for $11.99. :cool: ;)

Homedepot had the socket to plug adapters. Bought 8 to be sure. $3 each.

So with all this here it is:

First lights off close-up of soil and my girl who had a phosphorus def and is coming back to life.

[​IMG]

Lights on :

[​IMG]

Stealth is not much a problem, thankfully :eek:

[​IMG]

Last one, partly done the walls with mylar, with the weather being the hottest day yet, i was dying in my garage building this.

[​IMG]

Thoroughly washed my container to be rid of those few little bastards first that were in there...no way they are coming in my home.