Martial Arts Jiu Jitsu Appreciation Thread =)

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by LowEyesBigSmile, Jun 27, 2011.

The Eddie Bravo, Rolyer Gracie rematch? Under Metamoris rules? You can bet I'm watching that! 

2. Yeah man! So stoked for that fight. And the rest of the card is stacked too

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. @[member="cognitivereach"] What did you ( and anybody else that watched) think of Metamoris?

4. Eddie owned that match, he had Royler in a couple pretty painful spots

How's everyone's training going?

Training isn't so bad. Lost a good training partner to another school. Long back story, but he's in a better place now (not dead). I will be following suit eventually, but theres a bunch of drama where I'm at and I morally can't leave yet. 

Does anyone else's school have any drama? My instructor is a bit of an egocentric and as of late it seems to be affecting some of the guys at the school. 

No drama at my club, we're a pretty small tight knit group. Our instructors are awesome, no egos just solid learning and competition.

That would really suck to have downers at the club. For me it's the one place where I can go and just forget everything and focus on my training for a couple hours.

7. #327 camacho77, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    I attend a giant gym that has alot of different classes in different disciplines. We have taekowndo classes, Gracie jiu jitsu, Judo, full MMA, and also boxing. My main sport, the one I compete in, is boxing.

I do however, train in jiu jitsu and judo. I started because my boxing coach sent me to judo to help my balance In the ring, (was always punching myself off balance when I threw my left hook or right cross). then I started staying after the judo classes and watching the jujitsu. I became interested, so I joined up, and I found that an intense rolling session in jiu jitsu is great conditioning!!! It's a different kind of conditioning from what a boxing workout offers, but it's definitely helped my stamina in the ring. I am a much better fighter because of judo and jiu jitsu. Who knew it could help out a boxer that much!

I probably won't be able to continue training in jujitsu or judo if I ever decide to turn pro in boxing. But I'm enjoying it for now :D

It's amazing how things change in a few weeks time. Our gi program has done a complete 180. We went from having the same 5 people there to 15 average during the classes. Which is pretty good. We got 2 new black belts training with us (husband and wife) so all across the board its just been better. Better rolling for men and women and its motivated our instructor to become a better teacher. We lost 4 good training partners over the past month, and that hurts, but it is a bit of a silver lining for the overall program. 

I'm competing this weekend. So I'll see how it goes.

Good luck man, gonna get some video?

Just saw this, but I didn't. 

Had a decent performance. My nerves got the better of me for my first match and I went in spazzing. I was disappointed. I usually have a Gui Mendes calmness about myself, but I haven't competed in over a year. I lost the match 8-4. We went back and forth with sweeps, but the guy was able to get the better of me in the scrambles and ended up taking my back.  

Next match I had for 3rd I pulled guard and got an arm bar within 10 secs. I felt good, but as stupid as it sounds I would've rather have gotten it within minutes just to test my guard a little more.

I usually fight at 181 but I decided to do 196 bc a teammate was doing the 181 division. I felt good. But the guy I lost to was pretty damn strong. So if I decide to stay at that weight I should try to get my strength up.

11. Well blades I finally found a jiu jitsu school in my city.... First class in 20 mins :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. So I've noticed a fair chunk of people here train, we should revive this thread

I've been training bjj for about a year. I did judo before that. My current gym is all no gi, I really like it I can move a lot more freely. I do miss my Ezekiel chokes though lol

13. My first tournament starts in 3 hours

14. Oi fuckers post in here, I'm getting lonely

15. How'd you do in the tournament?

16. Won 2 lost 3. There was some good fuckers there one guy in my division had 8 years experience lol

I got 2 triangles from my guard, I got caught with a rear naked, armbar and a knee bar

Learned a lot and I'm super motivated to keep improving

17. Knee bar in first tournament? What belt are you?

18. Ayeeee Nate Diaz making all jiu jitsu practitioners proud last night!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. White... Been trainig for over a year though, did judo for a couple before that

It was a tourney held by our own gym so out coach got to make the rules.... Only heel hooks and slams were banned

I don't see the big fuss about knee bars, if anything you have more time to realize you need to tap than an armbar

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1