Lower leaves turning yellow during flowering.. Normal?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MyNameIsEarl, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Clones
    Plants Age: about 3 1/2 months
    Lighting: 600W HPS / digital ballast
    Cycle: 12/12 - 31 days
    Distance from light: About 2'
    Medium: Soil/Fox Farm Ocean
    Temp: About 85 degrees
    Humidity: About 50%
    Nutrience: Roots Organic Full Line + cal/mag
    Water: reverse osmosis/carbon filtered/UV
    pH: 6.5

This is my first grow ever... The plants are 31 days in flowering and about 9 days ago the lower leaves started turning yellow and falling off.. The top portion of the plants look healthy and I think the buds are coming in nicely but this worries me :confused:

I also encountered a gnat infestation :mad: about a month ago.. I tried a container with vinegar - no luck... tried putting rocks on top of the soil -- no luck, i covered the top of the soil with stretch wrap and duck tape to completely cut off the access to the soil and bingo... gnats are almost all gone..

i dont believe the stretch wrap harmed the plants because the pots are not plastic they are the cloth material that breathes...

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Some yellowing is normal. The plant is directing energy and sugars to the buds from other parts of the plant. However, too much yellowing could mean a pH problem or possible a nute problem like Nitrogen Defeciency.

Whats your feed water pH?
    Whats your soil's pH?
    Are you feeding your nutes at 1/2 strength?
    Have you considered using GoGnats or Zero Tolorance or any other product to help get rid of the gnats?

3. water pH is 6.5
    not sure about soil - my wife cut off my budget to buy pH soil tester
    I am feeding at 3/4 strenth
    no - didnt know there was GoGnats or Zero Tolorance products.. ill have to see if i can buy some but the gnats are almost all gone now

4. Yeah, those products work well for infestations. If you need to test pH of your water and soil cheaply, you can buy a $5 eyedropper tester. I would lower the feed water pH to maybe...6.0. Soil pH is critical..

5. Thank you omdogg!! I have a question about after the harvest.. Can the flowering plants be transitioned back to vegg for another round of flowering later?

I am deeply concerned about this because I did take 4 clones from the flowering plants while they were still in vegg state but 2 are not doing that great..

If not, could i take a clone from the flowering plants and convert back to vegg?

6. I know this is over but yeah you can reveg or clone a flowering plant, it just takes forever and they look all crazy and shit...did you reveg?

7. Neem cake for fungus gnats. Top dress or soil drench.

BeZ...V