cfl lights how many per plant: watt & lumens & distance

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by walter minosa, Jun 22, 2011.

1. can i put 2x 2700k on the side and 2x 6500k on the top of one plant?

2. #22 greenbudguy, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sure! I'm going to be rearranging my lights to be around my plants as well as above

3. The 6400k and 2700 k thats being mentioned is referring to the spectrum of light not adding the watts to reach that number like you just did . So when you buy bulbs for your plant you need two sets , 2700k for flowering and the 6400k for veg. Stage.

4. cfls work great. i got like an ounce off each plant off good shit, some type of haze i cant taste it, flowered 9 1/2 weeks. got 2 more going in fox farms whole set up :)

5. You can buy a lot of smaller 75w -150w MH and HPS at home depot and Lowes. Make sure of the base fixture size and that they don't require a ballast. Otherwise CFL is a great low heat option. The sun is about 10000 lumens per sq ft. In the spring.

6. I have successfully grown with 2000 lumens per sq ft flouro. Keep em as close as you can but stay at least 6-10 inches from the plant or it might get burned

7. @[member="walter minosa"] thanks for posting this.
    @[member="greenbudguy"] I like ur answers.

8. #28 buckethead129, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
    i currently have 12x 23wattCFL(100 equiv.) 2700k on each of my 2 girls (fimmed) one T5 CFL 23w full spectrum and a 13w full spectrum. all surrounded nicely so the sides get good light. im like  1.5 weeks into flower w great results/ fox farm nutes and organic soil that i mixed the perlite in myself. these 2 girls are thriving have 4 main colas on one.. the other is gonna be chunky low bush. theyre great.

9. there is no "watt for plant" rule because a single 20watt CFL will give a seedling all it's light requirements up to 6-7 days old if everything is spot on. longer if there are cock ups. but this would be no good on a 2' tall plant...

the best rule to follow is at least 60watts per square foot of canopy, but 100watts per square foot is a good goal to aim for.

you want the bulb and leaves to be no further away from eachother than 4" so ScrOG is the only sensible option for small grows.

people say the Kelvin temperature should be around 6400 for vegging plants and 2700 for flowering plants, but in reality either works for both stages just fine. swap them over if you have both but don't stress if you don't. if you do have both you will be better off running them all at the same time anyway.

American companies really need to stop putting "equivalent to incandescent" watts on their packaging, it's very misleading. it confuses new growers all the time haha. incandescent lamps are not suitable for growing so comparing the CFL output to them is irrelevant

10. GoldGrower: Thanx a bunch for putting it out there, that 64's and 27's bolth work for flower and veg stages... when your a newb like me, it can all seem a little overwhelming and confusing. I am going with the "keep it simple stupid" method for my first try.

Sent from my GT-S7560M

11. Do u put the two types of bulbs (ie veg n flower) In from day 1 or do you change them after a couple of weeks? Sorry if its a stupid question but I'm new to this

12. The usual way is to use 6400k for when it's vegging and then when you change to 12/12 to induce flowering you change the lamps to 2700k. But you will get a much better result using all of them at the same time

13. So say for 2 plants if I used 5 of each in various locations do you think this would be enough. Im building a stealth box for about 4 feet square ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. #34 GoldGrower, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2013
    that would depend on the size of those bulbs.

15. For a canopy area of 4 square feet your better off going with hps, a 250w would fit nicely. Then you only have the one bulb to install

16. Im just worried about the heat tho cos im doing it in my shed. I know I'll need lots of ventilation but I dont know if I'll be able to mask that much. We get the helicopter over alot

17. CFLs give off heat too, I would plan it very carefully. I think you will have some serious risks growing in a standard shed. Can you not grow in your home?

18. Im building a box in the shed. Im going to wrap it in insulation. Maybe its a bad idea full stop?

19. CFLs give off heat too, I would plan it very carefully. I think you will have some serious risks growing in a standard shed. Can you not grow in your home?
    The only place I could in my house is the loft and im not sure thats gonna be much better off

20. i could get you one with a ballast and hood for free