Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New Extraction Method for Cannabis Oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by elysium, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Pretty cool eh?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH2nFimQhKw&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_18076]YouTube - ‪Essential Cannabis Hemp Oil Making Tutorial Using Safe Countertop Distiller & FROZEN Alcohol‬‏[/ame]

2. This isn't really a new extraction method.

It is a method to recover solvent.

There is one item that is different that what Rick shows in his videos. That is the idea of working with frozen materials while washing.

Please note that Rick Simpson did not make this video and the video is recommending an expensive solvent.

If you are working with alcohol, it must be in excess of 90% or 180 proof. 151 proof will produce an inferior end result.

Something that you could do to raise the proof would be to distill the 151 proof before using it for the wash. If you stop the distiller when about 2/3 of the liquid has been cooked off it could result in a 90% ethyl alcohol.

Which increases the cost of the solvent again.

Many consider this to be safer for the patient because only ethyl alcohol is used.

I'd point out that ethyl alcohol is a poison. It kills people just as dead as any other poison. What matters is how much of the poison the person consumes.

If the Simpson procedure is done AS DIRECTED, the amount of iso-propyl alcohol a patient receives is much less that when used to clean an area of skin for an injection. This kind alcohol is used on nearly every patient within the medical system. Little or no thought is given to a potential of the patient being poisoned by a cotton ball moistened with iso-propyl rubbed on their skin.

So if you see a doctor or nurse using iso-propyl on a patient, make sure to attempt to convince the medical professionals they are killing the patient. ( kidding. I'm just trying to show how silly the fear is )

3. To recap ..

It is very difficult, in many states, to find 190 proof ethyl alcohol. In many locations you will have to shop in another state and then smuggle the alcohol back home.

At a cost that more than ten times what it costs for iso-propyl. That's without even thinking about the gas it would take you to find it.

This is to protect patients from a solvent that doctors use on patients every day.

4. #4 Arisia, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
    Very interesting video. I've seen this method before.

Processing with everything below the freezing point of water, minimizes the amount of chlorophyll (and anything else that's water soluble) being extracted into the solution. The waxes and the oils are also minimized. Since chlorophyll can cause gastric distress, minimizing this is important to some people (like me).

Right now, I'm primarily interested in making alcohol-based tinctures, so I have to use Everclear (ethanol/grain alcohol). Since it takes at least 10 times as much solvent, by volume, as plant matter, to get a good extraction, evaporating the excess alcohol becomes expensive. I was considering making some sort of macgyver alcohol recovery device, but the water distiller they're using may be a viable solution for me.

5. Seems like way too much work IMO. If you properly purge BHO you have nothing to worry about, and you don't have to invest in a distiller or whatever.

6. Well, it is not a new technique, but it's a very decent tutorial :)

I'd recommend using a higher proof alcohol and much less sitting-time for the initial wash, for a more pure result, and less heat, for a higher quality result. You can always run the 'waste' material again a second time, to extract further potency (and more inert plant matter), by simply re-using the recovered solvent. This gives you two end-results; a higher quality product, and a secondary batch.