Products to Use While Flushing

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by biggie2pac, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Hi GC, I'm currently flushing a DWC. The res has had PH 5.5 water only for about 3 days, coming off Lucas Formula. It will need a res change in a day or so (due to drinkage) and I was thinking about adding some stuff to the res to improve my buds

I'm thinking firstly about using GenHydro Florakleen but the buds still have about 10-14 days before chop so I'm not sure when to use it if I do decide to.

Also, I'm thinking about products like Botanicare Sweet, TechnaFlora Sugar Daddy, GenHydro FloraNectar, or Advanced Nutrients Bud Candy.

These all, from what I've read, are derivatives of molasses with added amino acids and vitamins.

So I suppose my question is, since the point of flushing is to get the nutrients out of the bud to eliminate "nute taste" so would these sweeteners contribute to the nute taste and be avoided during the flush or add a good taste?

and the FloraKleen supposedly "breaks down nutrient salts" so If I add the sweetener and then add florakleen would it break down the molasses and such?

I'd like to use these products, so if I do, when should I add them? and should I use them together, or use the sweetener, then florakleen, or vice versa?

Regardless, I plan to have 4 days of pure ph5.5 water before harvest.

Post your opinions and recommendations!

2. for my DWC 0 i picked up some florakleen to use for 24hrs while in flush mode(s). should be interesting to see if it has any major difference. prior ive only flushed with straight up RO water...

3. heading to the hydro store soon. I'll definitely be picking up a bottle of florakleen since it's only 9.99

the sweeteners are a bit more expensive, most are $25... if they're not worth it, would it be beneficial at all to pick up a bottle of blackstrap molasses and use that or is that a bad idea for DWC?

4. Excellent question has been asked ! Flushing is just that it takes the nutes out of the plant and eliminates the "nute taste" in the smoke.
    I can't say for sure that adding molasses would improve the smoke but from what I have heard it has been used before.
    There has been so many products on the market lately that advertize wonderful things and its up to the GC community to try and report. What a perfect test bed for the makers of the product.
    Keep the forum posted on your progress and let us know!
    Congratulations on a successful grow!!l

Herb

5. Okay GC. I picked up a bottle of FloraKleen from the hydro store, and a bottle of unsulfured molasses from the grocery store. I dissolved about 4 glops in water and added it to my res (10g res, about 7g at max water level, maybe 5.5g in there now)

i'm going to let it drink the shit out of that, then flush with florakleen for 3 days, then finish with regular water til harvest

6. Flushing in dwc is a complete waste of time.
    Flushing hydro in general is the biggest myth in the Cannabis world.
    If you want to harvest healthy plants you don't deprive them.

"Nute taste" is nonsense.
    If you grow cranberries in cow manure do they taste like cow manure?
    No, they don't. A plant doesn't take up its taste from nutrients, period.
    I've done the comparisons one flushed, one without, and repeated the same test
    a year and half later with the same result, flushing makes zero difference.

just my 2 cents, do the test yourself and find out the real truth and stop wasting
    your time and spend it more wisely.

7. I disagree with you.

8. #8 uwill3, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
    nutrients are loaded with salts and metals... I disagree as well... Smoking pot that hasn't been flushed will cause a numbing sensation of the mouth, leaving a metallic after taste...

I am trying Clearex made by botanicare... Curious how well their hydroplex works with flowering buds...

Look forward to hearing your results.

EDIT... I have said this before, but you wont read it unless I put it here... Flushing helps, break off a fan leaf to taste the fluid coming out, if its bitter, still has nutes in it, if it tastes like water, then your ready to chop... Info from Budslinger.

9. great tip. thanks for that uwill3

I will follow up. theyhave drank about a gallon of the molasses water over about 18 hours and are looking fine, although no visual improvements yet

also have been lowering temps to 60 at night and not controlling them during the day allowing them to get in the 80s. hopefully this will get some color into the buds

thanks gc

10. yep 60 is perfectly on the low side of the comfort zone, should bring out the purples, if they have any of that in their pheno.

11. I'm using hydroplex the plants love it. I agree with the flushing non flushed tastes like crap.

12. the res has developed a small amount of white froth/foam from the molasses. should I change the res now and eliminate it while i still can or is it something I shouldn't worry about too much? It hasn't seemed to affect the plants, they look good as ever.

[​IMG]

13. i got rid of the foam by changing the res. now back to water but with 5ml/g of florakleen

going to change to water only in about 4-5 days, then harvest about 5 days afterwards.

so lesson learned: molasses + dwc = no

I'll be buying a bottle of Sweet or Sugar Daddy for my next harvest (check for the thread in 3-4 weeks) and will report on those results.

And i did the leaf thing and couldn't really taste anything so that may be because they've been without nutes for 5 days or because my leaves are in pretty bad shape....

14. I have smoked for 30 years, and never ever once have I had a metallic after taste in my mouth, not even from the worse bunk crop of all time.

Seriously, its never been proven and is a pure myth as far as my own
    test in hydro are concerned.

But to each their own. More of a placebo effect then anything else IMO.
    /shrug :smoke:

15. what kind of molasses did you use in the res? blackstrap? id only use that in soil, as youve just learned. but im sure there has been someone to use it with success in hydro. maybe if its diluted enough?

I use FloraNectar added to my Lucas Formula.

FloraNectar contains all natural raw cane sugar, molasses, malt syrup, select plant based esters, L-amino acids, organic acids, polyflavonoids, vitamins and essential minerals.

the main thing you want is that sugar from whatever you use. sugar helping along the photosynthesis/celluar respiration magic along.

and for whats worth, the first time i used Molasses (in soil) seemed to make a HUGE difference in the final product. the buds were stickier, more smelly, more dense. The first time I used floranectar, i was stoked to find similar results out of my DWC. they just taste/look/smell so much more like candy!

check out these frosty "odessey" nugs fed molassas while in flower...

007.jpg

16. #16 biggie2pac, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011
    i don't think the foam was actually a problem, maybe an overdose, but floranectar was near the top of my list.

do you use the fruit-n-fusion or the pineapple rush?

From what I've read online, Botanicare Sweet seems to be favored over the FloraNectar but I've only used GenHydro products and they've never let me down so I may give it a go.

Heard nothing but good things about BudCandy and Sugar Daddy as well though.... hmmm the choices :)

[​IMG]

17. Mine have gone 12/12 today. I shall be feeding Sensi bloom and Molasses until the day i pull the plug.

As has been said above, your bud does not taste of what you feed it. Whether it be natural or synthetic, the nutrients are up taken by the plant and converted into 'exactly' the same things. Therefor i see flushing as deprivation! All IMHO of course.;)

Does nature flush?

18. [​IMG]
    Kick ass... I am gonna buy some soon!
    Thanks for the quick response!

Someone said something about placebo... ummm LOL... Wish I got a dollar every time I saw "to each is his own" on this forum.

Edit... I have to add... People that don't flush, I think your removing a step of a list of steps in this whole MJ growing process, every one of them is important... IMO