First Outdoor Grow 2011 - Nor Cal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Spam and Eggs, May 21, 2011.

1. #1 Spam and Eggs, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
    Hello everyone. I'm making this thread for a place to show my progress and keep record of good and bad choices. This is my first time, so I imagine there will be some newbie mistakes. The garden is Prop 215 compliant, and everything I'll be using is organic.

I'll be updating it about once a week depending on my schedule and progress.

Please feel free to comment if you would like or add thoughts but please keep it kosher.

I'll start with describing my setup.

First: I have a raised garden that is 6'x6' and is filled with 1+ cubic yards of a local organic loam/manure mixture. I also used 2 bags of FoxFarm Ocean Floor in the holes.

The strains are different from what I had originally wanted but I feel comfortable with the selection I have. These pictures were taken 5-15-11, during heavy, heavy rains and even some hail that took off a couple nodes before being covered.

Strains:

Blue Dream

Blue Dream - Sativa.jpg

Church+Chernobyl = Churnobyl
    Church + Chernobyl - Indica dominant-.jpg

LA Confidential+Suicide = Suicide Jack
    LA Confidential + Suicide cross - Indica.jpg

Purple Diesel
    Purple Diesel - Indica.jpg

Skunk#1
    Skunk #1 - Sativa.jpg

Skunk#1 in a pot
    Skunk#1 3gal - Sativa.jpg

This is my meager garden

DSCN1253.jpg

DSCN1254.jpg

For nutrients, I have FoxFarm's trio of Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom. I'll be starting their first feeding this weekend as long as the weather is clear. Will post pictures in a couple days.

2. Im glad all of your plants survived the weather. I was more than surprised to find mine in one piece too.

My experience w ffof is that a feeding schedule isn't necessary for at least 2 weeks, more like 4. Imo id hold off on nutes until they start to show that they're hungry.

Killer raised beds! I bet your hole-digging experience was much more enjoyable than most!

3. #3 Spam and Eggs, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
    Yeah, i only had to dig about a foot deep in each hole, then covered the entire bed with the loam/manure mixture. The plants were in pots that used part of the 2 bags of FFOF soil, leaving about a bag left to distribute among the holes. I suppose I could put off feeding, but there's only a month of vegging left and I really want to use the grow big to get some size going, however if you REALLY feel I should wait, I will. I'm subscribed to your journal, so I know you know a thing or two :)

4. Haha u got the new grower syndrome! Its hard to just let them be, isn't it. I've been in ur shoes, and not that long ago either.

If I was me, id wait. If u just HAVE to do something w the nutes, id suggest quarter strength of the veg nutes. Monitor, and if they burn, lay low for a while on another feeding. Who knows, all genetics are different and some may thrive!

5. I suppose I am suffering from that syndrome, I think the 1/4 strength solution is an acceptable compromise hahaha.

6. #6 Spam and Eggs, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
    Ok here come some pictures. I watered them today, first time since the last rains on Tuesday. They could have probably gone another day, but I wanted to and so I did.

I made up 4 Gallons of water using
    3 Tbsp of Big Bloom
    1 Tbsp of Grow Big

1/3 strength according to soil feeding chart. (I know you said 1/4 but the math was easier to 1/3)

DSCN1281.jpg

Here are the girls:

Blue Dream
    DSCN1269.jpg

Churnobyl
    DSCN1272.jpg

Purple Diesel
    DSCN1274.jpg

Skunk#1
    DSCN1276.jpg

Suicide Jack
    DSCN1277.jpg

SICK PLANT??? Ignore the blue dream (orange name tag), I can't seem to make that picture go away haha.

Look below at my Skunk#1 in a 3gal pot. It has a yellowing towards the middle of the leaves, and green on outer parts, any idea if this is a deficiency?

Attached Files:

7. None of mine grew much during last weeks storms. They didn't look stellar either, but they survived. Lots of sun should help em bounce back.

8. freak hail storm this afternoon again, covered up the gals with some buckets for about an hour, no news other than that.

9. Minor update:

I had forgotten to take off the hail bucket for my Skunk#1 plant in the 3gal pot, whoops! Now it's even more yellowish, probably light starvation or something...

All the plants look visibly sturdier, thickening stalks and distance between shoots is widening.

10. #11 Spam and Eggs, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  11. Subbd. I'm also in Nor Cal, doin it 215 style. :p Check out my grow

12. I will be looking for updates and watching your progress.

13. Thanks I Grow Trees and mom :)

14. Any flowers starting to form? I think the crap weather and lack of sun sent a bunch of mine into flower. C'mon sunshine!

15. I didn't see any this morning, but with all the rain and dark weather who knows what tomorrow brings.

16. Minor update:

I haven't had to water at all this week, and the weather looks like it's going to stay cloudy and rainy. I attempted my first FIM on my Skunk#1 plant. I didn't bring my camera today, but I will take pictures tomorrow and put them up. The plants look much more robust since the last photos were posted.

17. #18 Spam and Eggs, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    Photos!

These pictures are how they looked when I arrived today. After I left, another rainstorm came in quickly and poured lots of nature juice on the ladies. They haven't had a chance to dry out completely since the last rain, but they should be ok I hope.

Churnobyl
    DSCN1288.jpg

Blue Dream
    DSCN1289.jpg

Purple Diesel
    DSCN1290.jpg

Skunk#1 - I FIM'd this one yesterday, will show pics in different section below.
    Anyone else think this is looking like a male?
    DSCN1294.jpg

Suicide Jack - Not really growing tall
    DSCN1295.jpg

Skunk#1 in 3gal pot. This one had a protective hail bucket left on it for almost 2 days before I caught it, rookie mistake.
    DSCN1296.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are my first attempts at training any kind of plant, ever. If you see a mistake I've made, or have a suggestion, please don't hold back! I can take criticism.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of these pictures are really blurry, but the result can still be seen.

Skunk#1 - Started from seed, did my first FIM

DSCN1291.jpg

DSCN1293.jpg

Skunk#1 LST - First attempt

DSCN1305.jpg

18. Nice garden im subed!