For those who support Ron Paul...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mad Villian, May 10, 2011.

1. A job at Wal-Mart is going to generate the $100,000 most universities cost over a 4 year period? Lets be realistic.

You paid my way through grade school. Not you particularly, but those in my community through their tax dollars. Why does it become an issue when I seek higher education?

Lets not pretend as if starting and maintaining your own business is an easy endeavour. The overwhelming majority of them fail.

2. No offense but you're not worth $100,000 of our tax money. What have you personally done for this country to deserve that (you, not your parents)? You want a free or low cost education? Join the military, make a contribution and earn it first. Otherwise you can risk an investment in your future and borrow the money.

3. After reading the thread, I see a lot of self centered bigoted people.

A poverty stricken teen that could be the next Einstien would never get the education needed...but some ignorant dumbass texan (like gwbush) can get a free ride because his family has the cash...and become a country destroying politician.

Discrimination based on how wealthy you or your family are, is just class oppression.

If a person has a great potential, why limit them by their access to wealth...or is it just another "let them eat cake" issue, not open for consideration?:confused:

Keeping the poor ignorant and hopeless, sure seems to be the goal for some people.

4. what have you done for me? for the country? for anyone other than yourself?

If you joined for the perk of a free/cheap education, you are just another leech that exploited a NEW incentive/enticement to sign up...if that wasn't there, you wouldn't have joined. Guess some people are ok with their own entitlements...

ps; I am a vet...

5. Here lies, in this single sentence, two of the greatest issues with our country. Firstly, the lack of value of attributed to education, and our unwillingness to take care of our poor.(and I'm not speaking of myself in particular, but our poor in general)

Ironically, we expect change and "revolution".

Also, your tax money wouldn't be paying for my education in full. I, of course, would have to begin payments upon graduation in an effort to eliminate the accumulated debt.

6. I haven't done anything for you. Why should I? I didn't go to college and have never received a government handout of any kind. I've worked and paid taxes for the last 25 years. BTW, I wasn't addressing you, I was talking to the kid who feels entitled to a free education. My point was, if it's worth having, it's worth working for.

7. working for things is one thing, an education is another...:)

keeping the poor ignorant helps nobody in the long run, so why not enable those with potential?;)

(people had to take an entrance exam at the schools I attended...weed out those that have no potential to be more)

8. Poor people don't need the government to get an education.

A $100,000 waste of a degree, maybe.

9. How would you advise the lower, and even the middle class, to seek education? Personally, premier research institutions seem to be the most effective avenue. But if you have any better suggestions, by all means, present them.

I guarantee that an individual with a business, medical, or engineering degree from, lets say, the University of Texas; is far more likely to have a lucrative career than someone with no degree at all. Or do you object?

I'd venture to say that most who've received them, worked for their degrees. And it's likely that the work required to land a degree of relevance is equally difficult, if not more so, than working a full time job.

Also, why shouldn't education be free? Wouldn't you say that our country would be better off if access to higher education were made easier?

10. hmm...poor people are a waste of resources is what you have said here....:rolleyes:

I would like to see how the students posting on this subject would feel if they were the victims of their own bigotry. :confused:

11. uhh....no. scarcity=value. if everybody has an upper level education it becomes worthless as a commodity....which is really what we are talking about here. if all the "poor" people have a college education, then what mechanism will they use to get out of the slums...so to speak? now you just got a bunch of educated poor people...which serves its own purpose i guess. educated poor people are the seeds of revolutions.

i re-iterate my earlier statement. start your own business. your right it is hard to do...but the skills necessary to succeed in life aren't taught at schools.

12. Overall, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but we don't see eye to eye on the root problem. It's unreasonable to expect taxpayers to foot the bill for higher education when those costs are so unreasonable. Expecting them to pick up the bill for a six figure education is asking too much. I have no problem helping people who are in need but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. I'm from a different generation where people were taught that nobody owes you a damn in this life and you worked for the things you wanted. Instead of supporting a system of outrageously overpriced education by funneling mountains of hard earned tax dollars into it, maybe the solution lies in cheaper alternatives. Does that kid in the ghetto really need a $75,000 college education? Does he even deserve it? Does anyone who can't afford it? I'd rather see my money go toward work while you learn type programs, or reasonably priced community colleges. Should a textbook cost $120 dollars just because the professor who teaches the class wrote it? This whole thing is a huge racket and as usual it's Joe Working Stiff who gets fucked over paying for it.

EDIT - This was to cball

13. Not all people will benefit, that's why there are entrance exams.
    Schools can be bought though, rich ignorant dumbasses (gwbush as an example) get a degree, but that poor genius that could balance our budget, will work in a factory as labor...what a great use of our resources huh.

you hit on a big point...keep the poor ignorant and they will never know their lives could be better...educate the poor and they will rebel against oppression.

14. ahhhh, the poor do not deserve an education...because it cost to much...

Hmmm, your generation...why not EVERYONE...you display a separatist attitude then profess that anyone can work hard and be a success (why does success exclude education???), is the accumulation of wealth all some think of, not improvement of the peoples minds, knowledge is only for those that can pay for it?:confused:

15. Not much of a friggin genius then is he?

16. ...ya, not having the cash to pay for a university, makes a person a dumbass...guess you couldn't afford an education either huh :rolleyes:

17. I have attended a University and a community college. To my experience it all depends what your looking for. I thought the teachers at the University were much more informed and down to earth then the ones at the JC. Might have just been the University I was at? Humboldt State University. At a University you will find you are surrounded by mostly people wanting to better them selves. At a JC you have kids that are there so that their parents keep paying for the car insurance and don't really give a shit about their education or bettering themselves

Oh and at a university you can bring home a new girl every week while at a JC eveyone is still stuck in the High school mentality.

18. As was already said several times, colleges wouldn't get away with charging an arm and a leg if student loans weren't so easy to attain. As it is student loans top all credit card debt in this country.

Look at this: Homeless High School Dropouts Lured by For-Profit Colleges - Bloomberg

:eek:

[​IMG]

So when the prices are not in bubble mode and the market is more competitive, they are more affordable. If your parents can't save for your education, you can't get a private loan or you can't get a scholarship, then go get an apprenticeship or learn a trade skill.

I object. Take the amount they spent on a tuition and put it in an investment fund and you will probably see the same return.

Not many jobs require a college education, work experience is more important. Save your money, work as an intern, invest your savings in a business of your own... most of the benefits of college are through networking anyways.

Read up on some of the links provided earlier in the thread.

19. #39 omgbrbthc, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
    the internet has all the information you could possibly need and if it isn't free you can always purchase it and have the reading material delivered to your door. relying on a piece of paper for a career or some sort of security is nothing but long term dependency.

edit. what do we need the government for again?

20. to keep us safe from weed and terrorists

and to tell us what types of light bulbs we should be using