when does a plant show its sex?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by YoungJoe, Apr 24, 2011.

1. I was wondering if a the plant showed its sex after or before the summer solstice..?

2. You have to watch it like a hawk my friend, sa soon as you can tell the diffrence put that garabdge bage over the males and either burry or burn them. Dont shake it up, as soon as you can tell the plant is a dude (unless you are planning on making ur own seeds for next year) kill it softly, its surprising how easy it is to spread pollen.

3. Yea but do u know around what time they will show?

4. Young Joe, cannabis determines its sexuality between the 4th and 6th week of growth and preflowers will appear around that time on the 5th or 6th nodal placement.

One caveat: All cannabis plants express a preflower at 5 weeks but only if the plants are untopped. A topped plant does not display a preflower and topped plants may take several months before a determination can be made.

Other signs, tufting and coloring also indicate maleness.

5. Try to keep them seperated if you can just in case you notice it just a day or so late, hopefully the pollon will still be contained and just avoid shaking them when ur killing the boys.

6. Patience chuchu, 2 to 4 weeks, the males will usually show first and be the healthiest looking. If they don't have balls they will probably show female in another few weeks. you can do what you like, I would wait. VV:D

7. what is tufting and what colors should i be looking out for? i just sprouted my first seeds and i'm concerned about males

8. #8 justwalkingthedog, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    As mentioned a male will almost always veg more vigorously and show first,there are exceptions to the rule however,so right now your eyes are the best tool you have.its always worth paying a little extra for fems,saves a lot of time and hassle.id only buy regular seeds nowadays if i actually wanted a male for breeding.Sent from my GT-I9070 using Grasscity Forum mobile app