New grower need stronger stems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by 420address, Apr 21, 2011.

1. some crisping edges do remain on a few other then that they are all pretty green. our biggest plants are getting bigger by the day! but they are drying out quick.

2. How quick is quick? Depending on weather and humidity I'd imagine you're watering every 3 days (give or take a day). Only you can really judge when to water. I water when the top of the soil is dry 1/4 - 1/2 inch down (1/2 - 1 inch when you're in bigger pots). The bigger they get the more water they use, so don't have a watering schedule, water when needed.

Make sure you get plenty of runoff each time you water them. This is important as you don't know the make up of your water and it's likely quite hard. Plenty of run off will help ensure you don't get any nasty buildups of dissolved solids in the soil. A little bit like a mini-flush each time you water them.

Wait until they start vegging properly, they'll be growing so fast you won't be able to keep up. I take daily photos from different angles of all my plants. It's interesting to flick through them and see them grow and amazing to see how much they change from day to day.

3. well we transplanted and watered yesterday, they are already dry but droopy.

4. I would be careful doing this to really young plants, I do it to all of mine and have broken a few of them in the process, so watch what youre doing.

5. You mean the soil is dry? What sized pots have you transplanted to? How hot has the weather/grow location been? Are the pots black and receiving direct sunlight?

6. #46 420address, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    yes the soil is dry. I am using gallon pots, there was a high of 90 today, the pots are black and recieving direct sunlight

7. Ok so you live somewhere pretty hot, that explains it. I'm guessing Northern Hemisphere, which means it's only going to get hotter. Not a bad thing at all, but it does mean you have to take some other precautions:

Paint your pots white. A black pot in a hot climate will literally cook the roots in contact with it. Also, they're going to outgrow 1 gal pots pretty quickly. You should be looking at at least 4 - 6 gal.

A this point, while your plants are still recovering from the transplant and building up some strength, you might want to consider filtering the sunlight. Some transparent plastic sheeting is perfect. We're not talking a greenhouse here, just an open sided plastic sheet suspended over the top will block the strongest of the sun and allow them to grow some decent fan leaves to replace the damaged ones. After a week or so you should be able to expose them a little more confidently.

8. #48 420address, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    It is very hot here. This is our biggest baby. She is a 1.0 pt container, is it time to transplant? Also one of the bottom leaves is turning yellow. Is it mature enough for 1/4 strength miracle grow? We are getting ready to take some of those precautions asap

Attached Files:

9. Yeah it won't hurt to transplant it. It's also pretty small for over a month, so a new batch of compost might help. For a healthy plant transplanting probably wouldn't be necessary yet. A good way to tell is to look at the holes on the bottom of the pot. If you can see a lot of roots then go for a transplant.

Nooooo, chill out on the nutrients. There's a least another couple of weeks worth of nutes in the soil once you've transplanted. I've never looked into using Miracle Grow on cannabis plants. Have you checked that it contains an appropriate balance of compounds? We're not growing roses here guys. A quick search of the entire Cultivation section for "Miracle Grow" will probably give you some good information on whether it's suitable.

10. my first grow was a miracle grow one worked just fine....nothing crazy, but it worked.

Nutes in the soil works alot more in my experience though, so maybe when you transplant you might want to consider dropping 40 bucks on decent nutes so u get some quality.

As for your problem, its the sun. Your plants are stretching to it for more light, while in the meantime they're having no time to beef up a little. If i were you, i'd get a power strip, two 25 watt CFL's (cheaaaaapppp) and just make a nice little set up inside your house for a couple weeks till they beef up a little more. Keep teh lights fairly close to your plants so they dont stretch too much (about 5 inches to be safe).

Aside from that....support them? Get some wire and stick it in the dirt (careful not to hurt roots below) and wrap it in a spiral along the stem so on those days your babies feel like drooping, they'll have that to support them a little. After some time they'll beef up and you can remove the wire.

11. was this indoor or outdoor? outdoor plants start off much slower

12. make sure you aren't overwatering them sometimes that causes yellowing/dieing leaves

13. #53 JayF, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
    400W HPS indoor, but come on, not that much slower.

EDIT: I'm not trying to put you down or anything 420address, just illustrate a point that there's something not quite right.

14. there is an extreme difference, indoor the leaves grow much quicker and closer together because the plant doesn't have to stretch for light and indoor growers usually give there plants more light than an outdoor plant would usually get in a day.

15. Attached is a one month old outdoor bagseed plant from last year.

Attached Files:

16. we aren't able to check anything yet. we still need a ph tester.....[unfortunately]...we are just going to go from here and hope they dont die and at least produce something :)

17. got a ph tester today. the ph is between 6 and 7 on all of the smaller plants. 6.5 on the biggest.
    jay will lemon juice work to bring the ph down>

18. Yeah I've been using lemon juice on my plants, after someone on this site recommended it. It's been working fine for me. I've been using 8L water bottles and have found that just one cap full of lemon juice brings it down by around 0.5, small bottle = small cap, so I'd imagine it's similar. My point is that you only need a tiny bit of juice. I also noticed that adding lemon juice led to mould forming in the water within just a couple of days, so I've started pHing the water just before I water the plants.

Anywhere between 6 - 6.5 is good for the pH. The perfect pH varies by genetics, but for your purposes 6 - 6.5 will be fine. Remember to take a sample of water that runs out of the bottom of your pot and test that. It's the pH of that water that shows the pH of the growing medium.

19. :Dlol ur 1month outdoor plant looks like my 20 babys in my field, ezactly the same -:smoke::cool: