Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

medical marijuana in Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by bretTheDude, Apr 2, 2011.

1. I did some research on my own and i didn't really find any useful information. Anyone know if medical marijuana will be allowed in Louisiana within the next several years?

2. Well, Bret, it depends on if you and other Louisianans actually DO something to get cannabis legalized in your state. Are you willing to put in a little effort into getting cannabis legalized?

For a start join NORML or ANY cannabis legalization organization. This gets you in touch with a whole new circle of friends who want to change things! :hello:

Another thing you can do is click that first link in my sig and start reading! You might just want to skim on through the titles first, just to give yourself an overview of just what cannabis can do (besides make you feel a "little bit too good"! :smoking: ) . Even if you end up just reading the news articles, my list can give you quite an education! Cannabis does a LOT more than just give you a giggle! :smoke:

Once you've seen my list, grab some stamps, warm up the printer and send the appropriate information to your doctors, your friends and family and, of course, your local politicians! (The post office does not require return addresses on envelopes. ;) )

Many newspapers are now online, and you can post comments with registration. I comment frequently and not just locally! It is fun to have some idiot claim cannabis causes lung cancer... and then shoot him down with just a sentence or two from me and something like "{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer. 2007" :devious: and then I urge folks to look it up- or run a search for "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List" for that study and more. :D

How fast medical cannabis comes to Louisiana, is up the the cannabis users of Louisiana! And once people realize that the sky didn't fall with medical use being accepted, legalization will follow!

Granny :wave:

3. Yeah, I'll check into all this, but don't assume that i dont know anything about pot other than it "make me giggle". Kina patronizing, dude.

4. Possibly in the next 50 years or so. But don't hold your breath.

5. Sorry if I seemed patronizing, but most of you actually have no idea what cannabis can do medically! I think if you had clicked that first link in my sig, you'd soon see why I say that. If you are the exception and are up to date on medical usage, my apologies.

As an example of medical facts about cannabis that many of you are unaware of-

Did you know that CBD can halt the progress and damage of Mad Cow Disease? :eek:

Or that a simple extract of cannabis can kill MRSA (drug resistant Staph. aureus) germs on contact and they knew it in the 1950s? And then they "re-discovered" it in 2008 (and promptly buried the story ASAP! :mad: )?

Or that cannabinoids can prevent the #1 cause of blindness in adults- diabetic retinopathy?

Cannabis slows the damage done by diabetic neuropathy- a major cause of amputations. And it also protects the heart from damage done by diabetes.

Another bunch of studies suggest that cannabinoids may slow the degeneration of MS as well as other neurological diseases. Would larger doses stop the degeneration? :confused:

Several studies have shown that cannabinoids prevent the deposition of amyloid plaque, the physical evidence of Alzheimer's, but a very recent study suggests that cannabinoids may help the body actually REMOVE the amyloid plaque! (Could this reverse Alzheimer's symptoms? :confused: )

Do you see what I mean? And that's only tiny peek at what cannabis does! There's cancer, depression, several neurological conditions, bowel disorders, fibro, OCD and Tourette's, epilepsy.........Cannabis does so much more than "just" relieve pain and nausea! :smoke: Learn the facts! Educate yourself!

Granny :wave:

6. Important to understand:

Louisiana does not have an initiative process. Laws must be written by the legislature. Measures may be referred to the people of the state for approval, but they cannot be initiated by the people.

Unfortunately this makes it more difficult to pass MMJ legislation. Politicians often lag behind the people in their understanding of popular issues, and they are often unlikely to "stick their neck out" in order to propose controversial legislation.

This means you have to push your politicians to propose legislation, and vote for politicians who may be more friendly to your cause.

7. Louisiana has NORML no more, except through university charters. Quite regardless Louisiana citizens are coming together in this non-monetary, unincorporated yet indivisible organization: Legalize Louisiana.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6vPosQ5Ihc"]Four Hundred Citizens Marching on the Lafayette Parish Courthouse[/ame].

We show up at city councils to educate our community and pray for leadership in this policy.

As everyone above has said, nothing will happen unless the citizens get involved. There's no direct democracy, the laws are the worst, and the lawmakers are the worst (at the moment.) We have local chapters coordinating action statewide and we are demanding free and safe access for all to this medicine. We meet weekly. We follow through. We are making everyone aware of the fraud and opportunity for physical, spiritual, and economic healing. We are holding every Louisiana Citizen accountable.

https://www.facebook.com/legalizelouisiana

https://www.facebook.com/legalizelouisianalafayette ETC.

8. The 1978 LA MMJ law (yes it exists, and is hard for laymen to find.) I have been told one thing it permits is possession "with a prescription or a doctor's order" and that can be interpreted however you or a court interprets that. We need WAY MORE progress than we've made since 1978!

http://www.procon.org/sourcefiles/101809shreveporttimes.pdf

...... An Herbal Alternative
    Brett Malone, of Shreveport, saw people suffering from AIDS complications and other chronic illnesses turn to marijuana for relief while he lived and worked in California. Malone, now director of the Philadelphia Center in Shreveport, headed a residential program for homeless people with AIDS for four years. Every person in the program had a prescription for marijuana. Malone registered with California health officials as a caregiver, which allowed him to pick up the residents' marijuana prescriptions if they were too ill to leave the house.
    "In California, people consulted with their doctors, who gave them a prescription," Malone said. "It was a health care decision. I look at it as similar to other herbal remedies. We saw three things: People stopped losing weight, their appetites improved and their moods improved and they didn't have to take as many pain medications."
    However, marijuana isn't an option for HIV-positive residents of a similar program operated by the Philadelphia Center. The drug remains illegal in Louisiana despite medical marijuana laws passed in 1978 and 1991.
    Status of laws governing medicinal use of marijuana
    In 1978, Louisiana lawmakers approved a bill, later signed by then-Gov. Edwin W. Edwards, that allowed marijuana prescriptions for glaucoma and cancer patients. An amendment in 1991 extended the provision to paralysis patients.

The original law set up the Marijuana Prescription Review Board, which was supposed to consider doctors' applications to treat patients with marijuana. However, the law didn't include a way for doctors or patients to get marijuana, and federal drug laws made it available only for research programs. Medical marijuana use never got off the ground in Louisiana, and state officials dissolved the review board in 1989. Since 1991, there's been no public discussion in Louisiana about medical marijuana.
    "No one has ever introduced any legislation or resolution," said state Rep. Richard Burford, R-Stonewall, a member of the House Health and Welfare Committee. "I would have to say there's no verbal interest. My first impression is I would not be in favor of that."
    Louisiana officials take their cue from federal drug laws, which in 1970 classified marijuana as a drug with no medical purposes.
    Malone noted that Louisiana isn't a direct-democracy state, meaning residents can't put up issues for a statewide vote. Only state lawmakers can propose law changes. Nine of the states that marijuana are direct-democracy states and allow residents to propose ballot initiatives.
    "I think it's going to take a lot of advocacy on the part of people who either use marijuana or advocate its use for medical purposes, people who are reputable, knowledgeable, law-abiding citizens," Malone said.

You heard the man.

9. It is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess a controlled dangerous substance classified in Schedule I unless such substance was obtained directly, or pursuant to a valid prescription or order, from a practitioner or as provided in R.S. 40:978, while acting in the course of his professional practice, or except as otherwise authorized by this Part

RS 40:966 Penalty for distribution or possession with intent to distribute narcotic drugs listed in schedule i; possession of marijuana, possession of synthetic cannabinoids :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana L

PART X-E. THERAPEUTIC USE OF MARIJUANA
    §1046. Prescription of marijuana for therapeutic use; rules and regulations; secretary of health and hospitals
    A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Part, a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state and who is also registered to prescribe Schedule I substances with the Drug Enforcement Administration may prescribe marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinols, or a chemical derivative of tetrahydrocannabinols for therapeutic use by patients clinically diagnosed as suffering from glaucoma, symptoms resulting from the administration of chemotherapy cancer treatment, and spastic quadriplegia in accordance with rules and regulations promulgated by the secretary of health and hospitals and in accordance with FDA and DEA administrative guidelines for procurement of the controlled substance from the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
    B. The secretary of health and hospitals, by January 1, 1992, shall promulgate rules and regulations, authorizing physicians licensed to practice in this state to prescribe marijuana for therapeutic use by patients as described in Subsection A of this Section.
    Acts 1991, No. 874, §1; Acts 2006, No. 676, §3, eff. July 1, 2006.

RS 40:991 Prescription for controlled dangerous substances; proof of valid prescription; time period for raising defense; notice to prosecution :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana Laws :: Louisiana Laws :: US Co

Controlled dangerous substances in Schedules I and II shall be distributed only pursuant to an order form.

RS 40:977 Order forms :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana Laws :: Louisiana Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

§991. Prescription for controlled dangerous substances; proof of valid prescription; time period for raising defense; notice to prosecution

RS 40:991 Prescription for controlled dangerous substances; proof of valid prescription; time period for raising defense; notice to prosecution :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana Laws :: Louisiana Laws :: US Co

(31) "Practitioner" means a physician, dentist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, pharmacy, hospital, or other person licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to, or administer a controlled dangerous substance in the course of professional practice or research in this state.

(32) "Prescribe" means to issue a written request or order for a controlled dangerous substance by a person licensed under this Part for a legitimate medical purpose. The act of prescribing must be in good faith and in the usual course of the licensee's professional practice.

(33) "Prescription" means a written request for a drug or therapeutic aid issued by a licensed physician, dentist, veterinarian, osteopath, or podiatrist for a legitimate medical purpose, for the purpose of correcting a physical, mental, or bodily ailment, and acting in good faith in the usual course of his professional practice.

RS 40:961 Definitions :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana Laws :: Louisiana Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Licensing Requirements
    RS 40:973 Licensing requirements :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana Laws :: Louisiana Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Authority to Control "Dangerous Substances"
    RS 40:962 Authority to control :: TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: Revised Statutes :: 2009 Louisiana Laws :: Louisiana Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

2009 Louisiana Code TITLE 40 Public health and safety :: RS 40:1024 Exceptions; defenses
    Share |

§1024. Exceptions; defenses

A. Any provision of law to the contrary herein notwithstanding, the provisions of this Part shall not apply to the manufacture, sale, distribution, or advertisement of any product or object designed and sold primarily for scientific research, industrial, veterinary, or agricultural purposes, or for bona fide medical or clinical use.

B. It shall be an affirmative defense that the person to whom the drug related object or advertisement or notice was distributed had a prescription from a licensed medical practitioner or psychiatrist for marijuana or the controlled substance for which the object is primarily intended to be used. It is also an affirmative defense that the drug related object was designed or marketed as useful primarily for veterinary or agricultural purposes.

Added by Acts 1980, No. 669, §1; Acts 2006, No. 676, §3, eff. July 1, 2006.