Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

FLORIDA Medical Marijuana bill!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by broimhigh, Mar 24, 2011.

1. I was just wondering if anyone can guesstimate a time frame on this, because i notice its been in the criminal subdivision since march 14 and I am really curious of how something like this works. Heres the link again to the gov page,

HJR 1407 - Medical Use of Cannabis

2. Well, if it gets out of subcommittee and is approved then it will appear on the ballot NEXT November (everyone remember to vote!). If it passes in November of 2012 then most likely the new laws will take effect January 1st 2013.

Since this is different than other laws there may be a longer period for it to come into effect (like January 1st 2014). But I really doubt it.

Just remember to vote, and get your friends, family, and anyone else you can on board and spread the word about legalization. Donate to organizations like NORML because you can be sure there is going to be a lot of money against decriminalization. This won't matter because we have the truth on our side, but it's up to all my fellow Floridians to get the word out!

3. So what are the odds it gets out of the subcommittee? Who decides weather it gets approved for the ballot or not, and finally does it have to have an either pass or fail in the subcommitee or can it just sit there and die sortof?

4. It depends on who is in the subcommittee, what kind of politics are being played, etc... As far as Florida and most states go there is a pretty good majority that wishes to see medical cannabis access. The chances on this seeing a vote aren't great I'm afraid. It can sit there and die off, but I doubt that will happen in state-level politics. More than likely it's going to be passed or failed, that way the politicians can wear their decision on the issue like a badge of honor for voters back in their districts.

Trust me when I say this, politicians don't care at all about medical cannabis, all they care about is getting reelected. None of those cowards would risk losing in the next election over any issue, no matter how strongly they felt about it.

5. Anyone know when the committee deadline(s) for moving this bill are?

6. I have googled something to share with you...

The Plan:

About PUFFM:

The initiative is designed to:

7. well that is for the 2012 ballot, im really curious about the deadlines for the bill thats in right now for mmj. But thanks for the info.

8. Welcome greenlatern.
    I think the deadline will be published soon...
    we can wait few more days buddy? if i know i will share... +rep the one for like the info

9. Oh my god...

Keep me informed, I already know where I'm going to grow my LEGAL plants (and it's not going to be in the fucking woods)

10. Same here man :hello:

11. #51 Hot Rod, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    you must be ugly.

12. Alright well its been in the same committee for a month, I havent heard any news just figured id ask GC if anything new has come up yet?

13. Nothing dude, just be patient!

14. I wish, but im sure they will come. I mean they cant just forget aboute it ....

right?

15. God I hope this passes.

16. It's too bad we can't get an informed status report from someone. I would think that a state that is going for medical marijuana would attract groups like NORML and others, but apparently nobody from any of those groups posts to this forum. Of course an actual rep in Tallahassee who's working on it would be the best source.

17. Hopefully this will happen.
    Doubt it though with Florida being generally a republican state....

18. Well since its the last month to vote I figured id put this up. Copy and paste it and email to your Reps, its well worth your time.

I'm writing you regarding House Joint Resolution (HJR) 1407, which seeks to authorize the legislature to establish regulations regarding the physician-supervised use of marijuana, and to mandate an affirmative defense from criminal prosecution to select patients. If passed, the HJR 1407 would place the issue on the 2012 ballot, where voters would decide ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on the proposal.

According to a recent statewide poll, 57 percent of Floridians support allowing authorized patients legal access to marijuana as a medicine.

The use of marijuana as medicine is a public health issue; it should not be part of the war on drugs. According to a national survey of U.S. physicians conducted for the American Society of Addiction Medicine, nearly half of all doctors with opinions support legalizing cannabis as a medicine. Some 80 state and national health care organizations, including the American Nurses Association, American Public Health Association and The New England Journal of Medicine, support immediate, legal patient access to medical cannabis.

Recently, the largest association of doctors of internal medicine and the second largest medical association in the country, the American College of Physicians, released a policy paper in support of medical cannabis, stating, "The ACP strongly urges protection from criminal or civil penalties for patients who use medical marijuana as permitted under state laws."

Fifteen states - Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington ­ and the District of Columbia have enacted laws protecting medical marijuana patients from state prosecution. These laws are operating primarily as lawmakers intended and have not led to widespread abuses among adolescents or adult recreational users.

The goal of HJR 1407 is not to sanction the use of marijuana by the general population. Rather it is to provide a legal defense for qualified patients. I hope you consider my opinion regarding HJR 1407.

19. So I was checking the bill website today and this was there,

Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration on Saturday, May 07, 2011 12:01 AM

What does this mean for the bill?? Doesnt sound good...

HJR 1407 - Medical Use of Cannabis