Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

diabetes and smoking??

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by FLOWERchile, Mar 22, 2011.

1. i dont have diabetes but my sister does.
    i didnt know where to make this thread so if its not in the right place sorry,

k so She has diabetes and told me if she didnt that she would want to try some weed with me one day.

So does anyone here have diabetes and smokee?
    Whats it like
    Do you have to watch your blood sugar alott, and what if it gets too low?
    what would you doo just eat something sugaryy?

Please let me know, i think it would be really cool to blaze her because she can't drink or anything so i just want her to expeirence lifee and explooree a bit

im just worried something would go wrongg and she would die orr something :S

Anything input would be appreciated :)

2. know symptoms of hypoglycemia... if they start to occur... immediately stop smoking and take proper action... i am not a doctor

3. I'm diabetic, type 2, diet controlled. I have taken readings of my blood sugar before and after toking. I never got a drop of more than 15 points.

I would go slow the first few times if she is type 1. (Type 2s are usually less "fragile".) Take a few puffs and wait, maybe even do a test? Repeat until she's stoned. :smoke:

Now, as to why she SHOULD be toking- read these!

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study
    (news - 2006)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Getting Eye On Cannabinoids (news - 2006)
    Getting Eye On Cannabinoids: The Hempire - [cannabis, london]

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, london]

[/FONT] Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. PubMed Journal article abstract

Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy
    (abst - 2010)
    Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy -- Rajesh et al. 56 (25): 2115 -- Journal of the American College of Cardiology

Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (news - 2010)
    Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy - NORML

Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (news - 2010)
    MediGardens: March 2010: Cannabinoids inhibit and may prevent neuropathic pain in diabetes. (University of Calgary; Alberta, Canada)

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News: Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

If those interest you, there's a lot more in the DIABETES section of my List - just click that first link in my sig! Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

4. indica/hybird/sativa that can regulate or make better of diabetes? or certain strains?

family members have diabetes, i am almost there but still within regular range limit and depending on the strain i smoke i cant control myself when i get hungry i just want to eat

do i have concerns here?

5. #5 Storm Crow, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
    "i cant control myself when i get hungry i just want to eat"

Stop buying junk food! If you are hungry, eat an apple, or some natural trail mix. If you crave sweets, have a cup of tea with stevia- a plant-derived sweetener! (zero calories, won't mess with blood sugar, or rot your teeth!) If you don't bring the junk food home, you can't eat it!

Put a sign on the fridge- "THINK!" Most of us eat mindlessly. You grab that bag of chips, or that candy bar, and gobble it down without a thought. You don't even really taste it! Half an hour later, you are hungry again and gobbling down more junk! Foods with fiber will keep you full much longer and keep blood sugar levels within reason.

Stop and read the labels before you eat. Except for added "B" vitamins (Thiamin, niacin, etc) everything you eat should be "common" words, like "flour" or "carrots". If there is something unfamiliar, run a search on it- some very "un-foody" items can get into our food! :p Beware of high fructose corn syrup- they used to use it to give lab rats diabetes!

(For a shocker, figure out the price per pound of potato chips or other junk food! Compare it with steak! :eek: )

Learn to cook! Food that YOU made is more satisfying! :D

I made this for the school kids, but it may open your eyes too. (You don't have to paste paper apples next to the numbers like the kindergarteners did! lol)

Apple Equivalency Chart
    (1 apple = 80 calories)​
    1 2.75 ounce bag of Potato chips.................................5 1/2 apples

1 2 ounce (tiny) Snickers Candy bar...........................3 1/2 apples

1 2.5 ounce bag of Oreos bite-sized cookies...............2 apples

1 Twinkie..........................................................about 2 apples

1 Apple Fritter.............................................................3 3/4 apples

1 Pudding cup...............................................................2 apples

2 cups Pop Secret Popcorn............................................1 apple

8 ounces (1 cup) Jello with sugar..................................2 apples

40 ounces (5 cups) of Sugar-free Jello..........................1 apple

8 ounces (1 cup) Fruit Yogurt.............................about 3 apples

10 Wheat Thin Crackers.................................................1 apple

EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Granny :wave:

6. I'm type I for over 31 years now. I'll concur with granny, I check my sugars religiously and I do see a slight drop in sugar levels, but it's usually slight. If I've been exercising that day, which tends to lower my sugars, I pay particular attention if I am medicating with the herb. Good for you for being safe with your friend! Cannabis is great for diabetics from the non-drinking standpoint and being able to more safely experience an "altered state." Have the blood sugar testing kit nearby and quick acting sugars to combat hypoglycemia/low sugars if needed. (Orange juice, etc.)

As to the "munchies," healthy eating and eating on a schedule is the best thing I can recommend there. If you are showing signs of type II adult onset, PLEASE try to change your diet and exercise more while you still can. You have a nice motivator in having to take shots the rest of your life if you don't.

7. good read, i'll have to learn to self control on my eating

i do have to stock up on healthy foods in my house or i'd just leave and buy some junk or call out some junk food

8. thanks for all the advice everyone

9. I've had type 1 for a little over 3 years now and have been smoking for 2 1/2 years. i check my blood like 4-10 times daily and i have a pump now so that makes it a lot easier. when my blood is high i prefer not to smoke cuz with high blood sugar you have high blood pressure and since weed makes your heart beat faster i think it would only make it worse. i think thats why my chest sometimes hurts when i smoke and it's high. and i try to hold off on the muchies but sometimes i don't and eat a crapload but just take insulin with my pump. and i drink also lol. im in weightlifting class and i don't see any negative effects from it for the most part. my doc says im healthy. diabetes doesn't stop me from smoking everyday. but i just got 2 vaporizers so that helps alot too.

10. Background and Purpose— Stroke prevention clinics (SPCs) are not usually involved with the active management of hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, and smoking. The effect of consultations generated at SPCs on the adequacy of the management of these risk factors for stroke has not been well described, and few studies have long-term follow-up.

Methods— We performed a prospective study of 119 consecutive patients referred to an SPC for secondary prevention. One year after their baseline visit, patients were re-evaluated for the adequacy of the management of the above risk factors, and the proportion of improvement was assessed.

Results— One-hundred twelve patients returned for their 1-year follow-up visit. Sixty-six were male, and the average age was 65 years. Hypertension was present in 83 patients, hyperlipidemia in 92, diabetes in 26, and smoking in 38, and 80 had multiple risk factors. At baseline, 66% of patients with hypertension, 17% of patients with hyperlipidemia, and 23% of diabetics had adequate management of their respective risk factors. During 1 year of follow-up, hypertension management improved 20% (P<0.001) and lipid management improved 32% (P<0.001). There was no significant improvement in diabetes management or smoking cessation.

Conclusions— Although our understanding of the benefit of addressing hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, and smoking for secondary prevention of stroke is evolving, we found marked room for improvement in the management of these four risk factors. SPCs may need to be more actively involved in the management of these modifiable risk factors, if we are to significantly impact the risk of recurrent stroke.

Key Words: secondary prevention • stroke prevention

11. If shes used to needles why even bother blazing? LMAO jk jk -.-

12. I hope one day you get diabetes, and have to take shots, maybe then you will see its not a joke.

13. I've been a stoner for 40 years. 6 years ago I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I like to have some wine, beer, or margarita on occasion, but it has to be just once in a while because it raises your blood sugar. I've always preferred herb to booze, and recently became a medical marijuana patient. Now that I can easily and legally buy better herb, I drink far less than I used to.