Molasses and Coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by aminus, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Do you guys use molasses with your coco? Just curious. I've got a couple plants at about 1month of veg and was wondering if I should get molasses to begin using. :hello:

And how large of a difference do you notice, if you do use it?

2. I started using molasses on week 5 of flower. It doesn't take much. I seemed to have given them too much as they started turning yellow and the end of the leaves were looking burned and curling. I stopped and just used water and they are back to good again. It definitely helps though, the buds fattened a lot when they started getting it.

3. We use a lot of molasses with our coco. Our nutrients are molasses-based and we add Hi-Brix molasses by Earth Juice. Definitely a plus!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. I would get a product called sweet by botanicare. Its much more soluble in water than molasses and not extremely expensive. I think sweet works even better than molasses.

Botanicare 732297 Sweet Raw Qt

theres a link to sweet raw which is great for any bud. Its only $18 for a quart. You can use sweet through your entire grow cycle. Start off with 10ml per gallon for the first couple of weeks in veg then up it to 15ml until you start flower. Keep it at 15ml per gallon until you flush. When you flush water with just water and 10ml of sweet.

5. [quote name='greg1317']I would get a product called sweet by botanicare. Its much more soluble in water than molasses and not extremely expensive. I think sweet works even better than molasses.

Botanicare 732297 Sweet Raw Qt

theres a link to sweet raw which is great for any bud. Its only $18 for a quart. You can use sweet through your entire grow cycle. Start off with 10ml per gallon for the first couple of weeks in veg then up it to 15ml until you start flower. Keep it at 15ml per gallon until you flush. When you flush water with just water and 10ml of sweet.[/QUOT
    I wouldn't buy sweet its a rip off. and all you have to is take a empty jar fill it half with water and then ur molasses shake like hell and there you have it very water soluble molasses for at least half the price.

6. yea id have to agree with using sweet or another sugar supplement like sugar daddy from technoflora.The only reason ive never used molasses is bc i run a drip system and dont want my pump,lines or drippers getting clogged.true you can dilute it with water but i use the whole technaflora line so i kinda just go with sugar daddy bc its in the lineup i use.Ive also used sucanat sugar which is a brown sugar that you can add into the water and it dissolves quick.either way you go you cant go wrong.

Sweet also offers different flavors now like citrus and berry which is pretty cool.

7. the only thing sweet is is watered down molasses.and watered down molasses wont clog lines anymore then ur line of nutes if u use clearex or something u would never have a problem. nutes clog stuff up more then watered down molasses all that scale build up. sweet is a great product don't get me wrong but u can get the same results with molasses for half the price.

8. About how much molasses do i ad per gallon?

• Like Like x 1
  9. #10 SlickStigmas, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
    Molasses has complex sugars (refined), and contains Potassium. The Potassium is very important for blooming plants, but it can be over-done. The complex sugars can take hold onto the aerated roots or adjacent locals, and promote microorganisms (sometimes good, sometimes bad) to break it down into simplistic sugars. Algae is usually the most common issue in CHC substrates.

However, if left untreated, Coconut husk chips (CHC) naturally contain both Sodium and Potassium salts. Need to soak and replace those with Calcium and Magnesium, the Na and K levels are sometimes too high for most plants.

10. because most of the coco is inoculated with micro org or we buy then and add them they are essential in a plants root system there kinda like roomates that get along really well together. its a"you stratch my back I'll scratch yours." thing
    and it has amino acids in it which are great for plants along with calcium,magnesium, iron its just like any other sup u might use.

• Like Like x 1

11. start with one tlb per gal I start when I switch'em over.

12. I always use Hi-Brix molasses in my coco grows (it was only ~ 16.00 a gallon at my local hydro shop). I start a few weeks into my Veg. stage. I use the molasses as part of a once-a-week "supplemental feeding" (with some other ingredients) I give my plants.

I feed them this supplemental feeding at the end of every week, starting at week 3 of Veg. all the way through flowering. I start with 2ml./gallon, working up from there. What I do is use my EC meter to make the strenght of my "supplemental feeding" approximately the same as my regular nutrient feeding. So, as time goes on I slowly increase the amount of mollasses I add to the supplemental feeding, just as the strength of my nutrient solution increases over time.

By the time I get to flowering I'm at around 10ml./gallon molasses. I go up to 30ml/gallon by 4 or 5 weeks into flowering, which is where I stay untill it's time to flush.

Molasses contains potassium in significant quantities, as well as sugars (which feeds soil microbes) which are mostly sucrose, but can also contain simple sugars in the form of glucose and fructose, trace minerals, and vitamins. Molasses also acts as a general, mild, plant tonic.

I've also found that molasses seems to add to the essential oil production of the plants--meaning, in particular, more pungent, aromatic, stronger tasting smoke!

Bud

13. so in other words your feeding your plants twice a week but only once with molasses

14. No--I feed every day, with one of those days each week being the "supplemental" feeding.

Bud

15. so I don't feed everday almost. but I do use mollasses everytime I feed do you think thats to much and I don't feather it in either its either a tlb per gal or no molasses at all. I'm still sorta fresh to coco and have been trying to dial it in.

16. #17 Pot Professor Paul, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
    hey weird have u seen this?
    The most significant elements in the analysis are the high potassium levels and the extremely high sodium and chloride levels (sodium chloride = salt). Potassium competes with magnesium and calcium while sodium competes with potassium for uptake. Furthermore, sodium chloride can be highly toxic to certain species of plants; even in relatively low levels, sodium chloride can have devastating effects on root health and development. For instance, this batch of coco coir caused phytotoxicity (yellowing of leaves, rusting/burning, sick plants etc
    this is about how salts are properly washed out of coco, but i think un absorbed nutrients can turn to sodium chloride.....and in turn compete with new nutrients you pour in....causing problems like the yellowing and necrosis and purpling and all those little things we try to fix by adding more stuff or flushing....
    i know earth juice say there is no salts in sugar peak, but it can turn into sodium chloride in coco

17. yea I saw it it was in your rediculously long post. and was wondering what the other coco brand is that use atami coco
    I use botanicare. have you read eds experiment on mc and if so what are your thoughts on it. I'm half way thru flower with mixed results

18. 10 to 15ml