Formula 420 - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by The Captain K, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Just bought it regardless if it's good or not, 12oz bottle for $15 off eBay.
    Has anyone ever used it, any instructions? Cleans resin well? Let me know. :)

2. meh...just a mixof iso and salt in a bottle..so a ripoff

Get Grunge Off or Simple Green both reusable

3. wait wait wait, 12 oz bottle for 15 bucks? WHAT!!! Just use isopropyl alcohol next time, would saved you like 12 bucks

4. QFT

You could get a nice supply of salt and iso for $15

5. I heard that if you clean with rubbing alcohol it actually leaves a fine layer left on your glass and every time you smoke out of it, it actually scars your lungs. Don't know for sure but i always clean my glass with 420 formula, works like a fucking charm and only takes two minutes.

6. Rubbing alcohol is 100% evaporating. It leaves nothing behind, unless you were to let the iso evaporate in the pipe with the resin still in it, then the resin would still be there but NOTHING in the ISO is left behind. Hence why its used to make hash oil, because it purges itself naturally

7. When I try to use ISO Alcohol and Salt, it takes about 30 minutes, won't Formula 420 work better and take less time?

8. No because its the same shit lol. Should have ordered some Grunge Off or Simple Green.

9. actually according to 420 formula their "glass cleaner" formula is Non-toxic meaning it cant have any ISO or any very powerful solvents in it. Its probably a corrosive salt and a mild acidic mixture. Im looking at most of them and they are "Non-toxic" so i wonder wtf is really in it lol

10. I use both iso + salt and formula 420. They both work just fine, but I would say formula 420 cleans a little better and quicker, along with giving your piece a nice citrus smell.

But what an earlier post said about the ISO causing "scaring", that's not true, like others have said the ISO alcohol completely evaporates, so nothing is left behind. In fact I might consider ISO + Salt less risky, chemical wise, than the formula 420, since you never know what they put in it. I trust it though. I would recommend using either, since they both have pro's and con's.

11. Does it work well?

12. I dunno, im just on the website hahaha. I use ISO to clean all my shit, but here in boulder we have access to a LOT of 99% iso, i guess most places 99% is rarer and 91% is what they get, which for resin, doesnt work ANYWHERE near as well as 99%, that 8% water really makes a difference somehow hahaha. Course, when i clean my shit if its just a pipe or smaller piece i allow it to soak over night in a tub of ISO, if its a bong, i plug the downstem with a rubber stopper, and fill it with iso and let it soak over night, i dont bother the iso + salt shaking shit, too much work, soaking does the job well in 12 hours, and i sleep for 12 hours, so it works out HAHAHHAHAH

13. Those could just be water spots left on th inside of your bong, I know what you talking about i think. I have seen random spots on the inside after i have cleaned it, those can be eliminated with vinegar i hear. But the intensity of the spots would depend on how hard/clean your water is. I cant even drink my tap water so i have many water spots from when i clean it :/.

14. #14 nb790, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
    i always grab a bottle of 91% ISO and a box of salt.. it costs me 2 dollars. lasts for numerous cleans.
    dont waste your money on the 420 formula anymore.
    ive seen it work, and it does work very well, but you get the same results from salt and alcohol. i dont know how resonated your pipe is getting, but 30 minutes??? it takes me about 5 minutes, plug up the bong and shake it, put the stem n bowl in 2 ziplocs each... how often are you cleaning your glass? (usually clean my bong/stem/bowl 3 or 4 times a week, makes the process a lot easier the more often you do it)

15. Formula 420 IS better than regular salt + iso. Its the only thing I've ever had that completely cleans my glass
    You do not get the same results- this is bs. Formula 420 has always worked for me when iso + salt fails

16. alcohol and Epson salt works just fine. i was my baby around 3 times a week.

formula 420 works the same.

17. definitely use grunge off. It tells you that you dont have to shake, but if you do shake it cleans your piece in 10 seconds, not even a joke. Well i do wash my bongs everyday lol, but nonetheless it attacks resin like none other. But if you shake it, i find that it leaves these bubbles and it looks like water staining. But if you let it soak in grunge off it gets that off too. So it creates a byproduct, that it then can clean off itself. And if you clean your piece everyday, just shake it, and let it sit for 5-10 min. It'll be crystal clear again, no odors what so ever. Grunge off is ridiculous, and reusable. 15$ bottle lasts me about 2 months. Lol i feel like im trying to sell this stuff.

18. What you mean is its QUICKER than salt and iso, iso alone is a strong enough solvent that with enough time, will completely clean any resin/residue from any pipe. You just need the patients to wait lol. 15 bucks, for something to clean a few pipes quickly, or 2 bucks, for something you could let a pipe sit in over night and be clean by morning, and still have enough left over to repeat 3-4 times. Its about the cost for some people, not the speed of cleaning a pipe hahahaaaha

19. I means its quicker and better. NO matter how much salt + Iso I try to use on this one pipe I have, it never cleans it enough but formula 420 always gets it
    For me its about the quality and time it takes to clean so I'll take 420

20. my point was, your paying 7 times the price, for something that doesnt clean it 7 times as fast, or any better, iso will do a full clean it just takes time, point still being, money is lost hahaha ISO will do a full clean, physics says it will as its a solven and resin is pretty much a carbon packed oil, again, just takes more time. Id rather spend a bit more effort, and save myself 12 bucks. HAHAHAHA. But i just like to save money

By all means do what you want, i was just pointing that out