Organic Tea Recipe Question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GeoffK21, Mar 12, 2011.

1. For this grow (which will be my second, my first was with Fox Farm Nutes) I was planning on going organic. I was planning on using Alfalfa, Indonesia Bat Guano, Sea Kelp, Mollassas, and a Bit of Epsom Salt. The soil I'm using is Kellogg's Patio Plus (in the Yellow Bag) and I was going to add a TAD bit more Perlite to it as well. Since this is my first ORGANIC grow, I was looking for any feedback as to weather this would be a good tea. I was also gonna add some FloraNecter during the flowering stage as well.

2. Hiya GeoffK,

Welcome to Grasscity. Kellogg's makes good soil products and you should have no problems using it. Adding some additional perlite is also a good idea. If you can get your hands on some good EWC or compost, that would be another plus.

As for brewing a tea, it's a common misconception to brew these teas as a substitute for their nutrients. You would be served well if you amend your soil with the alfalfa meal, IBG, and sea kelp, and let your soil sit for a couple of weeks before using it. Instead of a nutrient tea, look to an AACT (actively aerated compost tea) to inoculate the soil.

When you brew your tea, use EWC (earthworm castings) or compost and molasses.and if you can get a hold of it, some cold processed liquid fish fertilizer. (NOT EMULSION). These are referred to as fish hydrolysates. Teas are most effective when brewed to create an explosion of beneficial microbes.

These microbes go to work in the root zone and break down organic materials that the plant uses to feed itself. You can certainly make a tea with the ingredients you've listed and they will help feed the plant to a point but a tea geared toward boosting the microbes is far more effective.

Some of the components of these nutrient teas will be hardly dissolved when applied, so the effect they will have will be negligible.

A couple of other sidenotes or pointers if you will.........check to see if your soil contains a liming agent such as gypsum, dolomite lime, or oyster shell flour. These contain calcium (Ca) which is an important mineral. You also want to make sure you have an amendment with sulfur, magnesium (epsom salts) and potassium.

Rock dusts are also important and provide an array of minerals. Using the search function will bring you up to speed on these components.

Again, welcome and ask questions.......our members will help steer you in the right direction. Check out the organic grow journals section for a goldmine of great information.......along with a camaraderie with our fellow organic enthusiasts.

HTH

chunk

3. First off, I'd like to say Thanks!! I was reading a few of the threads you had posted on and have ACTUALLY learned a few things!! Mind you, I tend to over think things, and have a lot of peoples' opinions on how to Grow, non of their do it organically! :( I think it would be easier, since it seems more forgiving. :p So, what I got from any that, is making your soil just right before you even BEFORE to do anything and their making a AACT, would be a better way of doing things. What about if I make a kind of Mulch with the Alfalfa? Wold there be able benefit to doing that?? I was also reading that Alaskan Fish Emulsion isn't good to use? Why is this?