Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The whole deal with smoking aluminum foil

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Jeeed, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Is it really THAT dangerous? I use a bowl made out of foil on my gravity bong and I don't smoke every day all day-- and as far as I can tell the aluminum itself doesn't actually burn at all (Though I know I obviously can't see each individual atom or whatever) And in the actual combustion of aluminum, all that forms is aluminum oxide... Hrmm. The foil is just the easiest way for me to smoke right now.

Soooo yeah am I gonna get cancer or something or should I be fine as long as I don't use it all the time? I know it's linked to increased risk for alzheimers and stuff.

2. aluminum foil when burned is known to cause cancer, you may not think you're burning it at all, but do you really want to take the risk?

3. I've heard it's bad for you, maybe you should buy a small peice.

4. Its not good for you by any means.
    Glass bowls (even metal bowls) are only a few dollars at head shops and taste and function a thousand times better.

You aren't actually burning the aluminum, but the heat causes it to degrade over time. That is why metal screens and foil bowls disappear over time. And you are inhaling and holding those chemicals in your lungs, and they will take a long, long time to leave your lungs.

Cancer is causes by cell abnormalities, and coating cells in chemicals from tin foil probably isn't the greatest for their health.

There are a LOT of threads on this with a LOT of good answers. Its not safe mate. Just buck up and buy a real set up, it isn't worth your health.

5. Did the same thing basically all summer.
    It's not gonna kill you if you're doing it occasionally, but get a new smoking device as soon as possible.

6. go buy a bong stem or bowlpiece for like $5-10 and use that for your grav bong

why take the risk, plus the glass piece will look way cooler:smoke:

7. I just took a vape hit so I'm probably gonna ramble...

Theres more to it than just "if its bad for you or not". Starting out smoking back in high school I smoked out of home made pieces all the time, a coke can with holes poked in it, aluminum foil rolled into a small cylinder and then bent to form a pipe, homemade gravity bong and a 5 gallon bucket was the best!! Sometimes you simply don't have a piece or for whatever circumstances you are left to be creative...

This is just an exception though or relative to when you are first experimenting with cannabis and you don't know better or like I said are simply not prepared. There are much better/safer materials to make pieces out of and I guess it comes down to the principle of it.

Technically I could eat my food with my bare hands or a couple of homemade utensils...but realistically If I want to enjoy my food and stay clean, I'm probably just gonna go to the store and buy utensils and consume food 'normally'. I know food and weed are different but hopefully this analogy makes sense. Compare it to anything...if you're really into listening to music, are you gonna just use some made-in-china, basic headphones or are you gonna save up some of your money and buy some kick ass, expensive headphones that are designed to provide a better listening experience..

Honestly the reason why I stopping using foil, or smoking from homemade pieces at all, is because 1. didn't get good, thick hits and 2. simply didn't get as high vs. smoking out of 'made' pieces (something you get from a head shop). I think many will agree you'll get a cleaner, better hit even out of a simple glass pipe and you will get higher/session and will conserve bud compared to foil bowl/pipe. Buy/borrow a decent quality glass pipe/bong...take a hit from the glass 'made' piece and take hit from your homemade aluminum piece and see which one treats you better. :smoke::smoke:

8. yup^ :p
    Just make the effort one day and go pick up a cheap bong. It will make your life better.

9. no its not bad for you but not recommended

10. Just buy a pipe, they are like 10 dollars. Fuck.

11. Foil burns. Throw a foil can in your fireplace then have some hot wood fires and look what happens to the foil. Or hit a foil can with a propane torch.

12. Aluminum foil burn at 1220F , the regular Bic lighter burns at 3600F . So yes your burning it and inhaling it , also if its a Coke bottle your also taking in plastic fumes. Mmmmmm shmorgus board of harmful carcinogenics!

13. its just bad dude... ruins smoking weed for me... i wanna burn clean ya feel me...and yea its just nasty for your health

14. Smoke the shit out of that aluminum foil, you only live once.

15. Why would you take that risk when you can buy a pipe for $3 or buy papers and a roller for $4 and rolls bunch of joints?

And really, if you can afford weed you should be able to afford the right tools for smoking it...

16. It also is linked to alzheimers....

I pulled the following clip from this article
    Alzheimer's and Aluminum

Aluminum -- Abundant, Toxic

Aluminum is one of the most abundant minerals found on earth . . . and one of the most toxic to humans. Aluminum damages nervous systems in both infants and adults. It is implicated in anemia, osteomalacia, glucose intolerance, memory deficits, and Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrig's (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), and Parkinson's diseases. Scientists do not yet understand whether aluminum is a primary cause of Alzheimer's or is accumulated in the brain as a result of a malfunction caused by the disease. They do know, however, that aluminum wreaks havoc on human nervous systems and should be avoided.

What are the immediate symptoms of aluminum toxicity?

Symptoms of aluminum toxicity include memory loss, learning difficulty, loss of coordination, disorientation, mental confusion, colic, heartburn, flatulence, and headaches.
    Life Extension Foundation (2006)

A 2005 research study from Poland examined behaviors in 67 males who had worked in an aluminum production facility for as few as two and as many as 34 years. These workers exhibited headaches, irritability, difficulty in concentrating, insomnia, and mood swings. Tests revealed abnormalities in their brain functions.

These symptoms are bad enough. But what if the long-term symptoms include Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease? Would the prospect of those diseases motivate you to do everything possible to avoid products and situations that will create aluminum exposure?

17. I try not to do it..but when im desperate and have nothing else then I use foil. But I would stay away from it.

18. If you're super desperate, make an apple pipe or something haha

19. No, an air diffused butane lighter won't go up to 3600F (lol). Butane lighters can top out at anywhere from 1100-1400F, but definitely won't reach near that when you're lighting a bowl. Aluminum foil doesn't "burn" at 1220F, that's just the melting point.

The problem is after a few heating/cooling cycles the aluminum foil becomes brittle which leads to the possibility of inhaling particles. It's also made from an aluminum alloy, so different brands could contain more impurities etc.

Honestly, it's much better to go for a stainless steel, brass, titanium (no zinc coatings etc) or just a cheap glass bowl... Aluminum is like bottom of the barrel shit.

20. That was music to my ears.