Teens Smoking Less, but Using More Pills

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Superjoint, Dec 19, 2005.

1. By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, Associated Press Writer 51 minutes ago

America's teens are smoking less and popping pain pills more. The lure of the family medicine cabinet helped nearly one in 10 high school seniors try out prescription painkillers last year, even as their generation continued turning away, at least slightly, from smoking and many other drugs.

The decline in illicit drug use by teens was modest, but continued a trend, according to the government's annual study of drug use by eighth, 10th and 12th grade students.

And while teen cigarette smoking fell to its lowest level since the survey began, eighth graders showed their first increase since 1996 in smoking in the month before the survey.

The survey of nearly 50,000 teens across the country found that 21.4 percent of eighth graders had used some illicit drug in their life, down from 21.5 percent a year earlier. For 10th graders it was 38.2 percent, down from 39.8 percent and the figure for 12th graders was 50.4 percent, down from 51.1 percent.

Dr. Nora D. Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, called that continuing decline "quite remarkable news."

But, she told a briefing where the annual report was made public, abuse of prescription drugs by teens is a growing problem.

Use of the painkiller OxyContin grew from 4 percent to 5.5 percent of high school seniors from 2002 to 2005, she said, and their use of Vicodin has been consistently over 9 percent, clocking in at 9.5 percent in 2005.

Only marijuana topped prescription drugs in teen use, she said, and that has been declining over time. For 2005, 44.8 percent of 12th graders said they had used marijuana at some time in their lives, down 0.9 percentage points from 2004. The total was 34.1 percent for 10th graders, down 1 point. The 16.5 percent among eighth graders was up 0.2 point, ending a steady decline since 1996.

Study director Lloyd Johnston of the University of Michigan, noting that eighth graders had also ended their declines in tobacco use, raised a concern about reduced funding for anti-tobacco messages. The ongoing study is called Monitoring the Future.

"The best news in this year's report is the significant decline in cigarette smoking, not just because that ultimately is the most deadly drug but also because it confirms that drug abuse is best reduced through sensible public health measures rather than criminal penalties, prosecutions and prisons," said Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance.

William V. Corr, executive director of Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, said the report "sounds a clear warning to state and federal elected officials: Our nation's progress in reducing youth smoking is at risk unless they take more aggressive action to prevent kids from smoking and curb tobacco marketing."

Findings of the survey of 49,347 students in 402 public and private schools across the country found:

• Some 75.1 percent of seniors have taken alcohol at some time. For 10th graders 63.2 percent have tried a drink and the figure is 41 percent of eighth graders.

• More than half, 57.5 percent of seniors said they had been drunk at some time, compared to 42.1 percent of 10th graders and 19.5 percent of eighth graders, down 0.5 point.

• Among seniors 2.6 percent have tried steroids compared to 2 percent in 10th grade and 1.7 percent in eighth grade.

Johnston said steroid use was a problem in the 1990s but has faded with the increasing attention to the problems caused by these drugs.

On the other hand he said an increase in use of inhalants indicates the lessons learned from an anti-inhalant campaign in the 90s are being lost.

Karen Tandy of the Drug Enforcement Administration warned of the increased availability of drugs, though the Internet.

While federal officials stressed the long-term declines in drug use, others saw things differently.

"The survey results expose the abysmal failure that is the War on Drugs," said Scarlett Swerdlow, executive director of Students for Sensible Drug Policy.

___

On the Net:

National Institute on Drug Abuse: http://www.nida.nih.gov

Monitoring the Future: http://monitoringthefuture.org

Students for a Sensible Drug Policy: http://www.DAREgeneration.com Marijuana Policy Project: http://MarijuanaPolicy.org.

2. someone needs to tell those kids that smoking whilst on pills is where its at.

3. This was an interesting read. Who exactly conducted the test?

4. sounds like bull to me, because i am in high school and way more people smoke weed than pop pills.

5. Well obviously theres going to be a difference, based on location.

6. i know alot of kids who do coriseden (dex).

7. I know lots of people take pills now that i think of it, im a senior in high school. Id say the same amount of people smoke and pop pills. Both are fun IMO

8. they're not saying that more people pop than smoke. they're just saying that there is less smoking of cigarettes and more usage of prescription painkillers. no mention of other hard drugs or pot in itself.

my class, everyone drinks, mostly everyone smokes. a few exceptions, of course. 2 or 3 people done hard drugs.

9. it sounds like another excuse to pour more cash into the war on drugs and tighten over the counter as well as scripted drug sales probably making fines an shit even harsher

Always gonna happen...and you can bet your ass the cost of drugs people seriously need is gonna go up...

Why let the people self medicate when you can force them to obtain a piece of paper like their a 1st grader being sent to the office and stiff them for 100+ bucks for a 2 week supply of pills they need like any old drug addict?

Do that and loads of greedy people won't be happy... cause pot will grow and form a helpful med in the hands of anyone who can toss a seed and dry a plant

10. I know for a fact alota teens because im 18, take Hydrocodon, Lortab, Vicoden more than smoking bud.... I have poped alot of em truth be known but I dont do it on a regular basis because pills eat the f*** out of you liver... My grandfather used to have serosious of the liver cuz pills, If your gonna pop pills teen or adult give your liver time to heal before eating more & more cuz the liver overtime heals itself (unless it has to much damage) coriseden also known as Triple-C's which has dex in it, Does more than eat ur liver, there's other substances in it that can cause brain bleeding, So basicly pop corisdeden for a few years see how long u live b-4 major brain damage occurs, I used to eat the f*** out of Triple-C's until a doctor told me they cause brain bleeding. But back to the topic of Teens taking pain killers really think about it, $5 a pill which it taken about 2-4 10's you will be high for hours, $5 a joint not so long of a high...... Beside's painkillers dont just come in pills, Liquid Syrup also is sipped for the feeling of painpills,-Hydron, Tussin-X, and alot of others liquid painkillers... But ima stick to bud as my drug of choice!

11. ^^^^^ DEFINITLY 4 Lortabs, & A FAT BLUNT YEAAAAAAAAAH!!!

12. It's been a couple years since high school, but I do remember a few things about this.

One was that since the narcodogs couldn't smell pills, people would bring them and use them in school all the time. So pills became the drug to use during school because you were very unlikely to get caught.

Plus they prescribe them all the time for everything. Practically everyone I know (non-recreational drug users as well) has a bottle of vicodin or valium laying around. So it doesn't suprise me that any high schooler can get it since their parents probably have some, don't even have to go to a dealer or pay for it.

I think it's funny that they think they're "winning" the war on drugs when over half of the population in the US (assuming everyone went through high school) has used drugs. :smoke:

13. shrooms are way better than pills

14. In California no no one really pops pills here but in the Midwest when I was in middle school high school a lot of the kids popped them cause well I don't know.

15. because kids think smoking weed fries your brain cells, so why not pop pills

a high amount of weed smokers here think weed fries there brain cells, i hear it regularly, a lot of them end up chugging cough syrup and doing pills, drinking multiple times weekly, etc

its unfortunate, i live in canada too, i can't imagine how it is in the US

16. your about 5 year late responding to this thread

17. It's pretty sad because so many kids don't realise how easily they can overdose on pills and how harmful they are as manmade chemicals in the body.

I'd so much rather get high off of weed, safe and 100% natural ^^

18. The reason kids are doing more pills is because DARE class and the news and shit like that make it look like weed is the same thing as acid and you're gonna be a loser for the rest of your life if you start smoking weed... But pills don't seem like as much as a drug because it's just medicine, right? It's way easier for a kid that's never done drugs to just pop a few zannys and think nothing of it, because all your life you've taken pills every time you catch a cold, so they just seem like a tiny harmless thing... I used to be really into pills but that shit was gettin outta hand (got arrested all zanny'd out on the wrong side of the highway, and alot of other stupid pill related shit that'd take a whole book to explain haha) so I just smoke, drink and do the occasional hallucinogen every now and then :smoke:

19. i wonder what the statistics for LSD use look like these days?

20. doing pills is dirty