2011 Organic Outdoor Grow: Northern California

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by washedmothafuka, Feb 18, 2011.

1. #21 washedmothafuka, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
    Hey guys, so because the season is still approaching in the SF Bay Area, I have decided to start a "practice" indoor grow. I will be using bag seed from some cheese I got, and if any survive they will be transplanted outdoors for the remainder of the summer. So yeah...this will be an indoor grow but their purpose is for outdoors so I thought I post it here.

3 out of 5 cracked on March 25th:

[​IMG]

1 sprouted on March 28th:

[​IMG]

And my my new piece :smoke:

[​IMG]

2. So youre going to have the bottom half of your hole the super soil and the top half just Roots? Im still trying to decide on my best soil composition when I fill my holes in a few weeks.

3. Hey guys Iam new to the whole threading biz.. (in no. Cal.) I am planing on doing the super soil bit too. I went with Amazon Bloom as the base mix .. It has a lot of what sub. called for in the mix already ... Plus I plan on using smart parts so I figured the heavier mix with less perlite should hold water a lil better. Iam hoping the beans I got from Next Generation Seed Bank perform well with the mix..

4. #24 washedmothafuka, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
    Yes the bottom 1/3-1/2 will be filled with the super soil.
    You have to decide yourself how much to put for each plant. Are you growing bagseed or quality genetics? Indicas need less nutrients because it is easy for them to obtain water and food, while Sativas need a bit more nutrients to reach those tall colas at the top.

I've never really heard much about it but while reading up on it I came across this page with someone asking Subcool himself if Amazon Bloom is a good base soil. The answer is...confusing, but I believe it is too hot for a base soil and it is recommended to put 33%-50% of Amazon Bloom depending on your plant. The top should be some pretty basic soil with some nutrients for your plants for about a month, like Roots, Black Gold, Pro-Mix etc. The link below is on page 11 and read it carefully it should answer your question if I did not ;)
    Subcool's Super Soil

Well, a few days into it now and everything is looking good. Another guy popped and the third one I planted out in the garden popped today as well.

I still have all six fem'd seeds waiting to get a heating mat and a fan before I start them, if I don't get a heating mat and this next rain passes I might be able to begin them outdoors and bring them in during the night so that they will already be hardened off.

Day 3: Lil bud, looking healthy for a bagseed, not even an inch, nice fat stalk :p

[​IMG]

Getting better camera soon, lost my one that took those pics in the OP. Way too :smoking:

5. Winter went away pretty quick in nor cal. All this sunshine is getting me excited to throw a few into the ground.

6. Nice mann it's frigin snowin here sucks!

7. Thanks for the info washedmothafuka .. I wish that guy kept up on his posts for his results with the mix...

8. Can any one tell me when plants will bolt outdoors in Cali. I read that if you start them to soon they will stretch and be spindly .. To late and lack of yield and flower prematurely. (from beans and clones no less than a foot and on an 18/6 veg) last season I planted way too soon and the bottom third of a red dragon and blue cheese clones cam out lanky (spindly).....

9. I normally just read the articles I find here, I don't post. But today I thought I'd help you avoid a lesson learned the hard way :p

Do not, DO NOT use blood meal in an outdoor grow. And if you're going to use bone meal, make sure it's steamed. If you use blood meal, or non-steamed bone meal, in an outdoor mix, animals WILL destroy your plants digging in the soil around them. They can smell the animal type smell. The same is true of using heavy amounts of fish bone meal, feeding with fish emulsion / fish fertilizer, and feather meal (if you use enough of it).

Look to an alternate source of nitrogen. You could simply use more of the bat guano, since its release rate is comparable to that of blood meal (and to answer your question in your original post, I believe Mexican is the bat guano with high N. But to find this, you need only visit google.com for 15 seconds!) I personally love using alfalfa meal, which is about 2.5-1-1, in an outdoor mix, due to its vitamin c, thiamene, and tricontanol (a badass growth hormone). You must let this cook for a bit before using so it doesn't sizzle roots. Another alternative is cottonseed meal, which is 7-3-1. If you want to go with cottonseed meal you must compensate for its acidic properties by adding more of a pH buffering agent (lime, oyster shell, etc. etc.)

for lots of good general information on organic ferts, visit NPK Fertilizer, Organic NPK Fertilizers

As far as the lights, I think you have plenty for growing seedlings. I personally use CFLs also for seedlings, and a 25W CFL (which I use) is plenty. The idea is not to make them turn into trees in the first two weeks of their lives. The idea is to promote deep and prolific root system.

Concerning the "watts per plant", or adding more lights... watts / plant is a useless measure. I could have 5,000 watts of halogen light on my plants, and they will die. I could have 75 watts of metal halide on my seedling, and that plant will destroy in growth rate others plants under several hundred watts of CFL. Adding lights only ensures adequate coverage. What you need to examine are the lumens used.

Looks like you have great ambitions, which is all you really need in this game and the rest comes in time. Good luck growing brother.

10. #31 washedmothafuka, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    I am pretty sure it varies from year to year depending on the weather, generally you want it in the mid to low 70's during the day and no lower than 45-50 during the night. In northern california it is getting quite nice, I think they will take off during late april through may, during june the sun is pretty bright so if you start them outdoors from indoors then they could get shocked and only grow a couple feet and then bud. That's what happened when I planted in June my first grow.

Here is the one bagseed I posted a little while ago. Unfortunatly I actually had it TOO close to the CFL...I know right? So its got those little burnt tips but nothing major. Indica dominant perhaps?

Day 6:
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    Day 8:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]11

Day 10:
    [​IMG]

11. Hey... Thanks again for that info.
    Buy this thine last year my plants were 2ft. Tall... I haven't even sprouted this seasons yet, but was thinking of doing so by this weekend maybe I'll do 2 and do the rest in a month . I don't want to end up with 8ft. Monsters again .. I wound up with way too much meds.. And up here in Cali it's getting to the point where you can't even give it away...

12. looking forward to see your end results!

13. No problem, I learned by other people helping me so why not do the same? And some personal experience :p Definitely plant some now, just a few and you can always top/lst/super-crop if need be to keep them low.
    I couldn't agree more on how much there is around here, gotta drive down south a little to flip it ;) Or just become good friends with a dispensary, grow dank, and sell it super cheap like $2500 a pop for grade A top shelf. And I'm hoping for 4-5 footers, like 3-4 feet wide...we'll see.

Thanks bro, I wont let you down :smoke: you growing this season as well?

So just a quickie, been putting her (hopefully) outside the past few days and she's been loving it, maybe a little slowed growth but the 60-65 degree weather was fine. I think I need to switch to 18/6 soon though.

Day 12:
    [​IMG]

14. Lookin Good man, Cant wait to see how that soil mix works for you. Are you planning an all organic grow??? I was considering it, but to amend the amount of soil bed Ive got would cost me an arm and a leg...Maybe next year.

15. Now, thats a good looking seedling :D Tight nodal spacing and deep green :wave:

16. #37 Dhangck, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I hoping for about the same dimensions, I got 4 girls that just popped ( early blueberry, grape god, lemonator, from next gen. And a TNT Kush from Eva ) my plan is to put those in the ground that I dug 3 1/2 ft. Deep and 4 ft. Wide and filled it with Subs super soil, and covered with 4 inches of mulch to bake on my south facing slope, but to be honest Iam not looking to make money, all I want is some high quality meds ... But thanks for the advice...

17. I don't plan to stick them in to the holes till about the second week of July ... I got 7 gal, smart pots to train them .. I hoping it will keep them from becoming root bound.

18. That I am, well for the most part :p. The one thing that was suggested to add to my RO soil was some Cal/mag. Unfortunately I only have that in the liquid that has to be brewed up, I believe it is still mostly organic but there has got to be some kind of chemicals in there. Other than that...all organic, now that I think about it, if I can find my FF trio from a few seasons back, I may use all three of those to grow my bag seed in some basic potting soil, while saving the good concentrated soil for the tasty genetics.

I saw your amount of soil...there is no way I would even think about amending that much, but if I get good results then yes...maybe next year ;)

Thank you brotha, I learn from the best :D. I'm trying to keep this guy (or girl) up to par with yours girls :cool:

Damn that is a long time in pots. I see what your saying though, you want it to establish a nice strong rootball in the 7 gal so when it is transplanted it still has lots of space to grow its roots. I would agree with this, however thinking about it now I believe that most of the roots growth is done in the vegetative state. Come mid July plants begin to stretch and bud, meaning however big your roots are, that's how much bigger your buds will be. I think you would be better off training them in their final location, maybe transplant at the latest beginning of June.

19. That sounds logical .. About root growth and transplanting into their final location ... Ill keep that in mind as the season progresses,