help me start blowing glass

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by flynt169, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Know this post is kinda old but i wanted to know how would you connect an acetylene regulator up to a bbq pound propane tank I'm pretty sure the ends are made differently.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #22 thetibetinskunk, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
    Spend good money on a torch, id recommend a major w/ a minor on top, you need regulators, graphite paddles, bowl pushes, hoses, an oxygen tank, propane or other fuel source, a kiln (the most expensive thing next to a lathe *only if your making full size or double chamber tubes) plus a shop space (unless you have a garage that you can utilize) and ventilation systems. Your looking at easily 2k+ to be able to make good pieces, and don't cheap out on a torch, if you don't get something powerful enough your gonna be making beads until you can afford a good torch. Also oxygen and fuel is going to be a constant cost, same with glass rods. Its pretty expensive, you can get a starter kit including a major torch for around $700-$800 and it comes with why you need to get started (key word started) you don't need classes, theres youtube videos and people in the community that will help you out, classes can cost more than the equipment even if you can find them. Hopefully more will start popping up with the growth in the culture but right now theres very little to go off of

3. With 600 dollars you can buy a decent size torch and maybe set it up. But that's less than half the cost when you factor in the Kiln, ventilation system (if you're inside you need one) as well as paying for oxy and propane consistently. You will probably also find yourself outgrowing that torch very quickly as you try to make bigger things. Anyone makiing their boro and not annealing it is also probably leaving tensions in the glass make it more prone to shattering. It's basically impossible to properly anneal boro without a proper kiln (crock pots help but don't anneal, they don't get hot enough or maintain temperature properly) so you will definitely need to buy one that can accommodate the biggest peice you can see yourself making. If you don't, you will just end up being limited by it. I'd suggest saving ups some money and you can get a Nortel midrange or Redmax for 300-500. These will be your best bet for flame range on a budget. If you have the money I would suggest going with a two stage torch from Bethlehem (Bravo $975 /Champ $1600) or GTT(Phantom $1200/Mirage $1725).

4. Some great information thanks to all who have posted tips. So a Nortel Midrange with a minor is a good torch for 420 work?