Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Microwave Cannabutter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by kinggoku89, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Alright, I have made some posts about this in the past, I just want to share the process I used since I had such a hard time finding much information on this topic before I tried it successfully.

-Microwave Safe Container
    -Another container to filter the butter into
    -Weed
    -Butter
    -Filter (Cheesecloth prefered, but I used a coffee filter for convenience sake)

Okay, so I used about 1-2tbsp butter for this recipe. Just a small amount to test. I added to it about 3g of finely ground bud, i used vaped bud so I had to use more than the conventional 1g/serving for recipes. Make sure its finely ground. If using regular bud, put it in the microwave for 45 seconds for a few sessions to decarboxylate it, it should crumble easily if its fully decarboxylated and will make it more potent for cooking.

Heat the butter in the microwave for about a minute, until it melts. Then when its melted, microwave for 15 seconds longer to heat it up. Then add weed. Make sure to cover the container at all times so the vapor doesn't carry away any cannanaboids.

Stir, and let sit for 2 mins (make sure it's covered). Then I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds on high heat, stirred, and let it sit for 2 minutes. Repeat for a total of 3 or 4 sessions of 30 seconds. I then let it sit for 30 mins, heated it again for about 45 seconds, strained it, and let cool in fridge.

3 days later, I ate the butter on some toast. Took 3 hrs to kick in fully, then an hour later i was tripping hard, and at around 1:30 when I went to bed I was still pretty high. Woke up feeling awesome.

Suggestions: I am going to make another batch tonight, I am going to add water to the butter at the begining to help prevent the butter from burning and to help dissolve some of the plant matter/impurities/cl-, ect. When the butter cools, the water and butter will seperate, and hopefully will make the butter taste better.

Also, I am going to let the bud sit in the butter for at least 12 hours before reheating and straining again, since cannanaboids can dissolve into lipids without heat, heat is just a catalyst.

Just thought I'd share my experiences with those covert cookers out there, or simply for people looking for a quick cooking method. This can be ready within an hour essentially.

2. Nice tutorial! I should try this.

3. Do it. I am getting ready to cool my newest batch for some brownies :)

4. very interesting....I am definitely going to give this a try this weekend

5. Definitely trying this next time I pick up. Great post!

6. Hope it works out as well for you as me. Only took me 12g of vaped bud to get it down right -.-

Thank you. Leaves almost no smell, just a butter smell. I do it while im at work at a convenient store, haha.

7. If you're using already vaped bud you don't really need to decarboxylate first because your vaporizer should have already taken care of it. But yeah I thought about doing this yesterday and I tried it and it worked fine.

8. Yeah I know, I believe I said for regular bud, as in not vaped bud, to decarboxylate. It still can't hurt anyways, I did for a bit because I had some stems and my remains still had some green to them.

Glad it worked out for you, how much butter did you use and bud? Did you let it cool/sit long?

9. You did... my bad. And I used about 2 g ABV a tablespoon of butter and about a table spoon of smart balance margarine. I thought maybe the different types of fats would help extract the THC a bit better. I just kind of cooled it for a minute then filtered it through the espresso screen from my espresso maker. Just threw the butter on the inside of the bread for a Grilled Cheese.

10. Never, ever, put a psychoactive substance in to the microwave.

11. Why? What study came up that refuted all the others saying that microwave radiation has no ill effect on cannabis?

12. Hmm I have heard margarine doesn't work well for thc extraction. Butter is pretty decent on its own. Oils would help I suppose, but i dont think that would taste very good together in a recipe, lol

13. Good idea, that'll make my dominos route a lot more interesting.. put it on my cinnasticks while I drop off menus around town. :smoke:

14. Haha unreal. I can't wait til this brownie kicks innn

15. Does this actualy work?? I have some vaped weed and stems I'd love to mic with some butter and eat!!!

16. Ive been fucked for like 5 hrs now from my batch I made today, so yeah I say it works.

17. I'll have to try this once I get some butter at my house, but 45 seconds in the microwave seems sort of long so I'll probly do like 20 second intervals and hopefully it'll turn out good :D

18. Read the thread on decarboxylating, I am not entirely sure on the exact time and how many intervals. For cooking, just don't let the butter boil. Just let it get hot enough and then mix it around.

19. Anyone have any luck or would like to improve on this method?

20. trying this with canola oil now.