3000W "Under Current" system

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Hydro Druid, Feb 3, 2011.

1. are there public available testing centers or you just know the right people?

how could I go about getting my plants tested, for both potency and/or molds, etc. ?

how much does that cost? how many grams do you have to submit for testing?

that's crazy to see those numbers....did the UC buds visually look worse, or smell different? Less trichs?

2. Those test results are really unfortunate! I would never have guess such a decrease in potency just from using a different method of growing.

Is there any chance you could post some side by side pictures of both the rockwool and the under current buds?

3. I use CANalytic Laboratories for testing. They come to you if there is a rep in your area.
    CANalytic Laboratories Inc. - We Bring The Laboratory to You!

The buds where solid, heavy and delicious under rockwool. The UC still smelled good and taste great but didn't have the density this strain delivers. People complained it seemed less potent too.

Well the UC system feeding is much much lower then most types of systems. I suspect the low ppm is the reason behind such low THC, CBD, CBN numbers.

4. I get THC, CBD, CBN tested and test for all pesticides and molds. Cost varies on amount tested. Uses a 10th of a gram per test and takes 10 min to run. I prefer to take my samples from bits and pieces from entire batch to certify entire harvest. Lots of people take samples from just their best buds but that doesn't give a true representation of the whole batch.

5. con someone explain to me what is an "under current" system:confused:

it sounds interesting

6. #126 SouthrnSmoke, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011

Your system was home made correct? I looks beautiful, but perhaps another type of bucket with higher quality plastic would solve the cracking problem, however I'm sure you probably know this you seem to be on top of everything. Did you compare your buckets material and thickness to the CCh2o version? Is the volume of your buckets 8 gallons, or 5?

Did your control rock-wool group experience the same water temps? I hate to be an stickler, but it seems a bit unfair to compare the tried and true control group to something you were trying for the first time. Assuming you did not mimic the problems you had with the UC system, in the control group, then the results are skewed.

Different methods are going to require different perfecting touches. Your going to grow the way you want, and its obvious you clearly know what your doing, but i hate to see that you seem to be writing it off already. Based on results i have seen with people using dialed in RDWC systems i know you can do much better than what you got.

7. [quote name='SouthrnSmoke']Your system was home made correct? I looks beautiful, but perhaps another type of bucket with higher quality plastic would solve the cracking problem, however I'm sure you probably know this you seem to be on top of everything. Did you compare your buckets material and thickness to the CCh2o version? Is the volume of your buckets 8 gallons, or 5?

I bought in February a 16 site 8 gallon UCDWC set up from CCh2o.. I was surprised to see how many people were complaining their buckets cracked... till i noticed a flood yesterday..., and took my system apart to find out 2 were cracked completely through allowing water to leak. And all the other ones including the original epicenter were cracked as well. (i had the epicenter replaced back in April an it has not cracked since),

Needless today its the fourth of July nothings open , i had to trash the run because i don't have any replacement buckets. Im just lucky i was only 8 weeks into my run. But i will be taking this system back to the store i got it from and figure out a way to solve this problem. Weather its CCh2o sending me all new buckets, or the store getting them to refund my money.. i just don't want this boozey ass system in my lab until its water tight and crack free.

8. I think it's great that you have achieved excellent results with RDWC.
    I always apply best-practices to my grown and that includes environments control like maintaining water at 68 degree constant.
    For a long time I ran RDWC also and had fantastic results . I'm almost positive the stress caused to the plants by the cracked buckets played a critic role in reduced quality. Again, food grade plastic is important to me and the UC systems approach to food grade plastic buckets results in floods. Yes I built the system but used the same parts UC used. I matched it all perfectly from same suppliers.

I'm waiting in anticipation for your UC side by side.

9. It's unfortunate!!

10. Hydro,
    A couple of quick things. I am running a uc also. First grow failed do to nutes. But when using uniseals throw them in simmering water then install them and the pipe. You will have about 30 secs working time.. It won't hurt the rubber and they will fall right in. To take the pipe out just use a hair dryer for 10 secs or so and then will pull right out. No more hurt rists and bucket damage. This may be why you are getting cracked buckets. Just from the initial stress of forcing the pipe into the uniseal. It is really tough without warming the rubber. Thats just a thought.
    What do you recommend for ec/ppm using the uc system. I am going with H&G this grow and if you have a rough outline of a feeding schedule I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance and thanks for some good posts on uc.

11. Hydro.
    Sorry I got you confused with janemba about the uc system. But warming uniseals is good info for people anyway.

12. Hydro.
    I am running a UC 90 gal system. Could you please send out your nute schedule. Like ppm/ec cal/mag and so on. I really would appreciate it. I have had trouble dealing with this. I run ro with about .02 ec. What do I do from there. I am using all H&G nutes.
    Thanks in advance
    letsgrow

13. u sound like a upper east coast boy...im running a cc12xl 3000 watt rapter lights starting flower very soon i favor house and garden to good shit but really u have a very nice set up u have my respect

14. nope were born and raised so cal boys!

15. The cracking is from u forcing the pipe in using uniseals. I work hardens the plastic and it becomes brittle..... Put the seals in boiling water before u use them and all will go well.
    Or cut to the chase and buy bulck heads for 7 bucks and save your self.

16. we looked into bulkheads, but a 2" bulkhead fitting is like $20-40 amd at 13 buckets 2 per, didnt want to spend the money, when we go back to it we'll prob go that rout...

17. I'm going to give that a shot. Thx for advice

:)

Sorry for late, late response. my apologies. 1/3 strength H&G will work great.

So Cal. Thx for the kind words. We have since tore down the set up, took a much needed break and are currently rebuilding using the newest UC designs. Not doing the DIY this time around.

I think you are right