3000W "Under Current" system

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Hydro Druid, Feb 3, 2011.

1. This thread is exploding to awesomeness. Huge grow, advanced cultivation techniques, experiments, SCIENCE...
    [​IMG]
    IS AWESOME!

Once I have space. I'll be looking into TC, it sound like a whole barrel of win if you can wrap your mind around it. Hopefully the knowledge of a bsche in progess will enable me to do this :D

I agree with the other poster. If you could do a visual journal/diary of the whole process that'd be incredibly informational. Great work and I look forward to seeing more.

2. I liked the Urban Garden mag's spin on TC. I agree with just about everything it had to say on the topic. I wouldn't let a valuable cannabis genetic go for months with no care unless I absolutely had too though. Just too valuable to lose some stocks.

The kit could be a great way to get started. You could buy everything you need for a lot less but for the sake of getting started it might be a great way to go. Keep us informed.

~HD

I think if there is a will to learn there is a way. Anyone can do it with a little hard work and study.

I'm going to start a video/pic diary of a complete TC start to finished and maybe some advanced techniques too for extra credit. LOL. Also, I'm building a custom FlowHood to prevent contamination. I will include instructions on that once it's finished, tested and passes.

~HD

3. I just would like to start off by saying my hat is off to you and your attention to detail. You have an amazing grow. And it really comes across that you are not in this for just the outcome have a high passion for science and the process and journey one must take to get that end result. Or at least that is my first impression. I am looking forward to following on the incredible journey you are in the process of.

subbed for sure!

4. Without a doubt Hydro Druid. I try not to limit myself intellectually as it is always great to learn new things especially if it helps you grow marijuanapots. I think my only limiting factor here is true privacy and a reliable source of income ;) In two years I'm hoping that'll be quite a bit different and I might be able to seriously consider doing things I never would have thought of being in college/broke and that whole 9 yards. I doubt I can spread much rep but you definitely get some. Keep rocking! :smoke:

5. Thx man.

I know all too well about privacy issues and income when starting out. Stand tall and be bigger then any problem that comes your way and you'll always come out on top; even if you fail.

I see you're trying and experimenting from your grow posted. In no time it will evolve and you'll learn better ways of doing things. I look back at my first indoor grow and laugh. I used a 400 w HPS stolen off a street pole in a small 7ft tall metal locker cab. I cut a hole in the top and rigged a lame funnel to catch air from the AC on the wall next to the cabinet. LOL
    Fried the plants and nearly burned down my parents house. Anyways, My point here is my knowledge comes from mistakes and my success comes from determination to solve problems of all types.

Keep it up and in no time you too will have the garden you always hoped for.

~HD

6. lol i remember my first one, it was 2 cfl's on top of 2 bag seed plants, i didnt even know how to get them to bud

7. I heard if you rip the leaves off they will start budding. You should have tried that. ahahahahahaha

8. lol that guy was retarded

9. Week 2 Veg

pH: 5.5-5.9 (rarely jumps above 5.9)
    PPM: 390-410 (Using 5 gallons per day water (75 gallons total)).
    Room temp: 77
    Humidity: 30% (low humidity due to powdery mildew outbreak months ago, precautionary)
    Water temp: 68-72 F (will drop temp once flowering starts)
    C02: 400 to 800 ppm

Finished fully hardening days ago. lights have been lowered to 18-20 inch above canopy. Veg growth should take off this next week. Adding square tomato cage trellises this weekend to start training stems. Will switch to flower after 21 day veg (21 days will give me great root structure (big roots = big buds)).

~HD

Attached Files:

10. Thx man

Life's always about the ride. What the point of fighting pest and all the millions of grow room issues if you're not going to enjoy the ride. Thx again man.

~HD

11. ah those are healthy and happy, man I am jealous of your available working space... mine are all cramped up, your making me feel bad I cant let em stretch out like that. How tall are they? They look gigantic for 2 weeks :eek:

12. im liking your system. I run a single DWC bucket so im interested to see the differences. im subbed for sure.

-Teapot

13. They're over 2 ft now. They where cloned in a EZ cloner and toned under a 250 watt MH for 5 days. So they are a little less then three weeks ok. The growth really explodes from the super charged oxygen in the system from my 25,000 gallon pond air diffuser in the control/epic center bucket.

I have a hindu kush in a bubble bucket in the same room. Hindu kush was cloned at the same time as everything else. Will be a great side by side. I guess I forgot to take pics. It's not growing as fast as the others.

14. nice. now im really lookin forward to seeing the difference. I think i could work some sort of under current type system in my closet. i would just have to do some custom fab work.

-Teapot

15. killer set up bro. i love the UC. i got a buddie who just built a custom UC set up and it is bad ass. plants look killer. props on the hard work in that room. it will pay off in the end!

16. Hey man, lovin your grow. UC has been running in my setup now in bloom for about 30 days or so. HUGE difference in growth and health. Love how clean your room is...Keep up the nice work bro and keep us updated with pics.

17. #38 Hydro Druid, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
    Week 3 Veg - Flipped Last Night to 12/12

3 weeks veg (give or take a few days, more on this later) and it's time to start flowering. Currently they are using 6-8 gallons water each per day and feeding very heavy. Heavier then any system I ever used before:). Two days ago a cal/mag deficiency popped up in just a few hours which caught me off guard. I found a root aphid infestation starting in the grow tent. Pulled all plants to treat individually. Also treated UC plants and lost some vigir from my "hot" root aphid nuke juice. Everything is back on track.
    Really liking the UC system so far, but it's so easy to run that it's easy to forget to check on it. Loving it!

During construction we used a 4x8x8 growtent to keep mothers alive. tent did so well I decided to outfit it as a possible breading room if I can get it super sealed. for shits and giggles I threw 24 jillybeans in rockwool to start. Did well and flipped 3 wks ago. Close inspections of whole garden ensue on a regular basis and spotted the start of root aphids. Not good news so I had to get a little crazy.
    Tent had 24 jillybean's and a single PK-Lav.
    This jilly bean is a wicked plant, smells like sweet waxy orange candy, smokes amazing when finished. Grows fast, simple to care for, dry's well and cures fast. These girls are 3 weeks into flower and getting out of control in the tent. I was hoping for 4 more days but started to notice heat stress so I had to jump the UC schedule by a few days. I was already treating each plant individually for root aphids so I took the time to sanitize every sq inch and move tent grow ahead of schedule by a few days.

These Jillybean girls are in a aerojet 8 aeroponic system converted to a top feed recirculating system. Aerojet 8 was great but it has a lot of "bugs" and requires a lot of attention. This conversion will let me do drain to waste coco or a recirculation. Have been considering converting it to a top dress rockwool system and allow roots to grow into chamber and run a fogponic system. We will see. Depends on how bored I get. Right now it's running big mamma rockwool cubes and coco mat.

I pulled the aero mister manifold out and capped off the MIP end coming through the individual tray wall with a 4 port supply's and rubber washer. Also removed the cheap-O screen filter with a professional Spin Down screen filter. Spin downs keep feed supply manifolds free of debris/bugs from the pump. Often pumps use those brillow type mesh net's to catch debris. Those things harbor all kinds of nasty. Get them out! Also, the Spin Down's clear plastic allows you to see inside the filter at the gunk build up. Quick 1/4 turn of the red ball valve on the bottom and you can flush out the crap. This particular run will be drain to waste each feeding. I hate to waste the nutes but had a root aphid infestation pop up and had to do a root drench. After a root drench I like to drain to waste for a week. keeps res cleaner. Also added a second ball valve to supply line off of pump to relieve pressure off 4 port caps; acts as a aerator too.

Hung a single 1000 watt HPS on a light mover over tray covering 5x10 area. I built my trellis large because this sativa likes to S-T-R-E-T-C-H. I like to bend the branches in a long bow effect to the trellis. The nugs love it and grow towards the light off the branch. I bend branches in various ways to fill out thin spots that sativas are so well known for creating. In the past I've pulled 2.2 lbs off single 1000W with light mover using this bow bending method off of low yielding sativa strains. I don't count my chickens before they hatch but I'm sure this tray will produce efficiently. Also will give me a great side by side against the under current.

Used UV glasses over camera lens that also block red spectrum from HPS.

~HD

Attached Files:

18. ur garden is filthy! who build this crap?
    haha

19. Yeah but for tight space you make the most of every sq inch. You've got a great garden.

~HD