Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking with a Fever?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by BUDdha KING, Jan 23, 2011.

1. I haven't posted on this site in a while but always found like it had some knowledgeable stoners back in the day, so here goes:

I had a very bad throat infection, which has subsided pretty much completely because of the antibiotics Ive been on for about 4 days now, so I'm not concerned about smoking affecting my throat.

However this infection gave way to a fever which Ive been dealing with for the past couple of days, and my question is whether smoking cannabis can make my fever symptoms worse, or whether it will have little or no affect on them.

Any advice appreciated. Again I know any kind of smoking isn't good for throat ailments, but that part of the sickness has pretty much passed.

2. i was sick recently but i didnt smoke bud b/c i think it would hav made me feel sick but i hav a friend who smoked when he was sick and he said it was fine but it felt a little weird.

3. It really depends on you. Me personally, when i smoke and i am sick, it makes me feel a bit better. And no it shouldn't effect your fever in a bad way at all. If anything it may bring your temp down, there is a myth that smoking weed lowers your body temp but i dont know if thats true. I do know that it wont make it go up.

4. #4 heavyengineerng, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    i take all sorts of stuff to make me feel better, cannabis is one of them and probably the safest.

edit: smoking pot makes cold and flu meds bearable. psuedoephedrine makes me all kinds of out of it. toke and feel better soon.

5. Thanks for the quick responses, I'm going to roast a fat bong before UFC fight for the troops tonight.

Stone on

6. I dont even take cold anf Flu meds if i have a cold or Flu. The only things i take if i have that is allergy medicine to stop my nose from running, and weed for the rest of the shitty feeling-ness.

7. Where do you get pseudoephedrine? I thought that was like illegal now since it's used to make Meth. The only sinus medicine I ever see anymore is phenylephrine hydrochloride, which like any other cold medicine, doesn't seem to do anything at all lol.

8. Its in some OTC cold and flu meds. My friends mom has some, thats how i know it should be legal.

9. i always get baked when i'm sick, fuck anti cold and flu meds, even when i have a sore throat, just drink warm tea while your smoking and put some ice in the bong

get plenty of risk, drink lots of water and take some vitamin c, you'll be feeling better in no time

10. hot tea with honey, gets rid of the throat feeling
    smoking the herb, gets rid of the other shitty feeling-ness prefrebly a bong with ice.

11. ^ This

plus i forgot that yea it actually does lower your body temp, its not a myth

12. any evidence? i've never heard that.
    and if you're suffering a fever and a throat infection, i'd use warm water in the bong instead of ice cold water. it's more likely to soothe your throat and lungs.

13. you have to ask for it at the pharmacist counter. they check your id and limit you to 1. its nasty shit but it will clear your sinus' up faster than anything else.

14. Marijuana Might Really Make You Cool

Fred Gardner, CounterPunch.org, 9th September 2005

Marijuana use may confer health benefits by lowering overall body temperature, according to Tod Mikuriya, MD. It has been observed by his office staff -and confirmed anecdotally by colleagues- that people seeking physician approval to medicate with cannabis usually register body temperatures markedly below 98.6. Just as lower calorie consumption is associated with greater longevity, lower temperature could confer an advantage by slowing down metabolism! (Sometimes "great ideas" are simple and obvious. For example, all history is the story of class struggle, and, in addition to the thoughts we're aware of, we have unconscious thoughts that can be glimpsed in dreams.) Mikuriya writes in the new O'Shaughnessy's:

Hypothermia in the mouse is one of the "classic tetrad" of symptoms indicating activation of the cannabinoid system. The genesis of hypothermia requires further study. The Indian Hemp Drugs Commission observed that one of the reputed benefits was to help laborers tolerate the heat. Cannabis was described as used to cool the passions -in contrast with alcohol, which heated them.

Clinically, cannabis appears to actually lower temperature and a couple of patients have described a sense of cold with transient shivering. The question could be answered readily by comparing temperatures of persons who have THC metabolites in their urine and people who don't. If there turns out to be a significantly lower temperature in the cannabis-using population, one might posit a slower metabolic rate which, over time, might have implications for longevity. Temperature has a significant effect on metabolic rate. We have to understand the mechanism of hypothermogenesis.

If there is a hypothermia, what influence is there on the HPA (Hypothalamus Pituitary Adrenal networks) and all of the interactions affecting levels of circulating cortisol and epinephrine, etc.? With management of diabetes, cannabis decreases blood sugar by diminishing gluconeogenesis, which plays out in decreased insulin requirement and improved stability.

This hypothermogenic effect appears to be dose-related and could contribute to a neuroprotective effect after trauma. The optimum delivery method will require study. Hopefully, we will see a vaporizer on ambulances for treatment of head injury and seizures, and at the bedside of pre- and post-neurosurgery patients.

In addition to external cooling, cannabis quiets the irritable CNS. A combination of inhaled and oral cannabis would be appropriate for acute CNS trauma from internal or external etiology. I predict this will become accepted and mainstream in the future.

Raphael Mechoulam's lab published a paper in 2003 showing that hypothermia appears to be an important factor as to why the synthetic THC analog HU-210 was protective in an animal model of stroke. [Leker, R.R., Gai, N., Mechoulam, R. and Ovadia, H. (2003) Drug-induced hypothermia reduces ischemic damage: effects of the cannabinoid HU-210. Stroke 34, 2000-2006]... If a patient presents to an ER with a stroke, the first thing they will do is put the patient's head in a cooler and pump them full of antioxidants (vitamin E).​

There's many a pothead thinks their drug of choice makes them cooler than the general population. Wait till they find out how much cooler! O'Shaughnessy's is the journal of sorts that I produce for California's small but growing group of pro-cannabis doctors. It is not available by subscription, but a contribution of any amount to the CCRMG (California Cannabis Research Medical Group) will get you on the mailing list for Fall '05 and future issues. The CCRMG is a 501(c)3 non-profit; contributions are tax deductible. It was founded in 1999 by Mikuriya, whose pioneering clinical research has been rewarded by the Medical Board of California with a $75,000 fine (to pay for the cost of his own prosecution; the liberal equivalent of being made to dig your own grave). The CCRMG is not supported by a generous grant from MPP, Green Aid, DPA and other reform bureaucracies. It is BY FAR the best way to support the medical marijuana movement (as opposed to the medical marijuana industry, which does not really need external support). Please send what you can to CCRMG, po box 9143, Berkeley CA 94709 But wait, there's more! If you order now, you'll also receive a never-before published transcript of the 1937 Congressional Hearing that led to the Prohibition of Marijuana, with commentary by your correspondent.

15. for me, i dont smoke when i have a fever. it feels like it makes my fever or body ache more intense when i am high and sick:(

16. Read! Educate yourself! [​IMG]
    (FYI - "hypo means "under" or below. hypothermia is a lower body temperature) Just a little more proof about just how amazing cannabis is- from "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List (1st link in my sig).

A Cooling Effect From Cannabis? (news - 2005)
    CCRMG

Marijuana Might Really Make You Cool (news - 2005)
    Marijuana Might Really Make You Cool: The Hempire - [cannabis, britain]

EVALUATION OF THE HYPOTHERMIC ACTION OF TETRAHYDROCANNABINOLS IN AND SQUIRREL MONKEYS
    (abst - 1973)
    EVALUATION OF THE HYPOTHERMIC ACTION OF TETRAHYDROCANNABINOLS IN AND SQUIRREL MONKEYS ? JPET

The effects of cannabinoids on body temperature and brain catecholamine synthesis. (abst - 1978)
    The effects of cannabinoids on body temperature an... [Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1978] - PubMed result

Behavioral and temperature effects of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol in human-relevant doses in rats (full - 2008)
    Behavioral and temperature effects of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol in human-relevant doses in rats

Bottom line- Cannabis lowers your body temperature. Some folks have even complained about getting chills when stoned!

Granny :wave:

17. some honey and lemon with some hot water. old family resipe in my house. sooths the throath and kills coton mouth. yaa you can make a tea with it but it works better in its own. also there is some tea called throath soothers tea. but its hard to find. if you can find it though it works like a freaking charm. I think it has cloves in it.

18. If I have a head cold then smoking is a waste because It doesn't have the expected effect.

Peace

19. this is what i was looking for. i love reading things like that, i just honestly never heard of it lowering your temp before.

20. Yes marijuana most definitely helps me when I have a fever. Last week i was sick with a sore throat and fever and firing up the vape made me feel well enough to go to class so I'd say it works. Vaping is prob better than smoking but if you said its not a problem then im sure your fine.