DIY - ONA Odor Control Bucket (CHEAP & EASY!)

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Newbiegrowr, Jan 9, 2011.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Nice find but kinda expensive. I still like the OP idea best

2. Once you knock off the cost of the gel and the fan there might not be that big a cost gap.

3. I dont think the link you posted includes the gel. So you're basically paying for a fan - so it can be either $57 or $15-ish. Or did I miss something?

4. Maybe I missed it. The ones I have seen have included 1L liquid for that price and there are more expensive ones with 4L gel. By the time I knocked off the price of the gel it became quite reasonable. Worth shopping about. Bucket, fan, wetting agents...adds up. Plus it's all nice and tidy.

5. I agree, it's an elegant solution and if it includes the gel, it's a bargain. But I don't ready anywhere that says it includes the gel, so I think that the fan is all you get. Fans are cheap - its hard thinking about paying $57 for a fan - Amazon wants $75 for the same fan!

6. I just made this the other day. I used a Honeywell tabletop fan from Target for $15.95. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Lowes for $2 and some Soil Moist from Lowes for $12.95. I used the 1L liquid ONA fresh linen from the cheapest Amazon.com seller.

I have my fan blowing out of the bucket and sucking air in through the holes on the side.

7. Well you could spent $58 for just the small fan the ONA company makes, or build what I built which includes the DIY gel, bucket, concentrate, and fan for $52.55. It all depends on what you want and how much money you want to spend.

You could also get the big fan ONA sells for $120 and get the big bucket of gel they sell. Keep in mind you will also need to buy the concentrate to refresh the gel.

8. I literally leave my fan on 24/7 in my grow closet which I leave half open all day in a larger room I keep dark. I add more water and concentrate every few days and it works out great. You don't have to drill holes or put up venting unless you need it for your light. The bucket takes care of the odor.

I often watch TV in the room with the closet I grow in, and when I toke I'll blow the smoke at the base of the bucket to kill the odor. =)

9. Let me know how it works for you. Thanks for posting and letting me know you built it.

I went to lowes and they didn't have 5 gallon buckets. I ended up getting one a few days later from home depot for $5.99, which I felt was a rip-off.

I'm about 3-4 weeks from harvest right now and the odor is still completely under control.

10. :wave:
    old used black bucket( could be any color) = free
    ona liquid 32 oz = $20
    soil moist 1lb = $12
    old used fan with a lip = free
    old used lid for 5 gal pail = free

one kick ass Oder neutralizing system that works 24hrs a day for 3 months (the 32 oz liquid ona will last 3 months i use 1/4 cup every 5-10 days)

for a grand total of $32. if i ounly use it for one grow it cos us about $0.33 cents a day

thats very fucking reasonable to eliminate all the Oder & it makes my house smell nice

[​IMG]

11. Just wanted to say thanks again to the OP for this idea. I completed my bucket this morning.

One tip I wanted to add is that I didn't want to use the cardboard because I had plenty of extra bucket lids. So I cut a hole in a lid, smaller than the fan and then drilled two small holes in the lid, directly across from each other. From there you can use wire (or zip ties) and pass them through the slots in the fan (the rear) and through the holes in the lid and tie it on the other end. That allows you to connect the fan to the lid without affecting the flow of the fan.

12. I'm glad to hear you put one together too. Let me know how it works out for you and thanks for posting the info about the lid. I'm sure lots of people would prefer a real lid over my cardboard lid.

13. #37 Newbiegrowr, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
    On 3/11 I harvested and hung my plant up to dry. The smell was strong in the room I was working in until I had the bucket going. You weren't able to smell anything outside of the room and the inside had a very faint smell once the bucket was on.

I had my harvest hung up to dry in the grow closet with the bucket turned on 24/7 and you couldn't smell a thing except the light smell of O.N.A.

I was considering switching to a carbon filter but the bucket works perfectly. I'm sticking with it. I'm now getting ready to flower 4 plants in about a month and I'm confident the O.N.A bucket can handle it.

I'll let you guys know how my harvest smokes after I get it cured. =)

EDIT: TYPOS

14. WOW simply WOW
    i was a bit worried about the effectiveness of carbon filters (im about to start my first ever grow and odor was my top concern)

im definetely going with this.
    only question i have is anyone know of a fan that is strong enough to do the job but also is quite?

hmm.. personally i think this is gonna be alot of overkill because im doing a 16 OZ micro grow 12/12 from seed to harvest. :D

i might downsize and use a 1 gallon container and a smaller fan (maybe a milk jug)
    but idk idk.
    thanks for this thread its perfect!

15. I run a carbon filter and this ONA setup and it's working great. The carbon filter alone was not enough close to harvest time. I'm running a 4x4 tent and have about a pound of bud in there at harvest time so every option is needed :)

16. The fan I used doesn't make a lot of noise on the lowest setting but you can hear the faint sound of the motor if the room is quiet. I usually have a TV running in there so I can't tell there is a fan going.

If you want to go with a smaller setup you could try using a small axial fan like for computers. That takes some wiring I believe and I just wanted to make it easy and quick on myself. I think you'll be happy with the same Honeywell fan I bought.