Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Where the hell did the word "dank" come from?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by heheh, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Was just wondering this. Because generally, dank is a bad thing, as in all wet, mouldy etc. For example, dank and musty, etc. But in terms of weed, it's a good thing.

Wtf? How did this come about?

2. I have thought the same thing many times, I think its because dank can also mean sticky. Don't quote me on this but my thoughts are that dank is a relatively scarce word, so it originated so people could talk about good weed without directly referring to marijuana.

3. Haha honestly man it's one of those things where along the lines people were stoned and it was really good pot they were smoking and dank musta been just something that happened to get a lot of notariety (sp?). My guess is it's just one of those street nick names for really good bud that stuck kind of like terms like "what's good" etc etc...but when you think of dank no matter wheather you smoke or not the only things that come to mind are just awesome thoughts haha idk man.

4. You can say dank all you want, but never "kush" :mad:

5. idk but whenever i sm0k sum dank, when i put my lips up to my noise i smell a "bud-y" fresh off the flame dank marijuana scent.

it prolly arose from the strong marijuana musky scent unlike any other.

6. No clue where dank came from but good quality is called "High Grades"

7. Dank   
    Adjective
    Unpleasantly moist or humid; damp and, often, chilly: a dank cellar
    (stolen directly from a dictionary)

A lot of times people use it to describe caves, cellars and other dark underground things. The use of it for weed i think comes from the fact that "dank" weed has a lot of trichomes that make it look kind of wet.

8. Dank was a verb in the early 14th century, superseded by the word damp now. I believe the origins of the word can be traced to either Scandinavian or German.

9. People say stuff like "that's sick".... a lot of slang gets turned from a negative thing to a positive. I assume that's the case with dank.

10. dank means wet and moist. wet and moist weed would actually suck. I don't really use the word.

11. I assume Hip-Hop music; gods divine channel for letting people know what "cool" is.:cool:

JK....I have no idea