the Misconception that being 18 means total freedom

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mos_def, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Um...no, it's not a logical fallacy.

A logical fallacy is this:
    Now my position is that one should not judge the parenting of others without being a parent themselves. I'll even admit this, one should not judge the parenting of others PERIOD. And that's no a fallacy at all, in fact, that's a common held belief in parenting. To wit:

And also:

So, please tell me again how I made a logical fallacy. My examples are based on parents judging other parents, so I'll grant you that, but LOGICALLY if a general consensus is that even parents should not judge other parents for the way they rear their children, THOSE WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE KIDS SHOULDN'T EITHER.

So thanks for niggling and belittling my statements, but honestly I don't really give those of you who would disagree with my sentiment much creedence; because, let me venture to guess that you're not parents.

The WORST you can accuse me of is hypocrisy, but since I have at least 14 years to deal with what my child will or won't be doing after she turns 18, I have some time to think about it.

2. keep in mind we are in different economic times...

3. personally, im 18 and still live at home, because i am still in high school. but honestly, if im 25 years old and dont live at home, i still dont want my parents knowing i toke, it just creates unessecary drama and awkwardness if you have anti weed parents.

4. Uh not really, I remember the recession and the gas crisis during the 70's.

5. #45 Fëanor, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
    And it doesn't make you a bad parent either. Every situation is different. Some people NEED to get kicked out so they wake the hell up and start supporting themselves.

Not trying to rip on you, but I could never imagine expecting someone else to support me for free. Besides, sometimes my parents have as much trouble making rent as I do. Just because they are older doesn't mean they are rich. They aren't immune to lay-offs, retirement, rent increases, etc.

6. "Peak in 70s unemployment at 8.5%. Labor force participation rate of married women with children under 18 years = 44.9%"

The current recession peaked at 9.8% average and 13% in some states.

I'm just saying these are different times. More households have two working parents, More students are attending college than ever, and tuition rates are higher than ever.

7. Economics really don't factor into the argument though. The bottom line is that when you turn 18 you are an adult in North America, and it is your CHOICE to stay at home and live with your parents. REGARDLESS of economics, it is still your choice.

Unless you're a ward of the state and then they just boot you out or something.

8. Both very very valid points here as well. I mean bottom line, I could have stayed with my Mom, but I would have had to move to Colorado and live with my Step Father (who I still don't like 20 years later). So I CHOSE to move out. But I was paying rent to my Mom too. It was a token amount to be sure, but it was important to establish my independence.

9. In that case im a kid too! :hello:

10. You argued the poster's statement by attacking his authority rather than giving evidence. Misrepresenting him in order to make any claims seem false. This is a straw man argument; a logical fallacy.