the Misconception that being 18 means total freedom

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mos_def, Jan 3, 2011.

1. It's more or less true, other than it's a choice, not a necessity. But like hell I'm going to choose to forgo a college education just so I can be more free with weed. It's not a worthy trade off.

My parents don't pay for my school, I do, they don't pay for my insurance, my phone, my clothes, a good portion of my food, my personal care products, anything like that. They didn't buy my car either. The only thing they help me with is a place to live. I rent my room (emphesis on rent, I give them money to live here) for about $300 a month, it's what I can afford. It's cheaper than any appartment I could get, but it certainly covers a decent portion of the financial burden I create.

That doesn't make me a kid, that makes me a smart young adult who is making college happen for myself (despite my family not having the money for it) by having a part time job, and choosing to live at home.

2. Correction: if you're 18 you can do w/e you want .....if you're rich.

aka paris hilton

3. #23 Samanthamudgirl, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011

My oldest son has one class to go on his degree and he's been taking care of himself since he was 18. Moved in with a couple friends from high school to start out college. Taking loans out, but his tuition is just a little over a grand a semester. That's doable. My husband went to the same college and paid back his loan quickly. Now that son is married and they live with the wife's parents because they are in poor health and need looking after. His gather in law is on dialysis and his mother in law is getting senile.

My middle son wants to be a surgeon, so he's limiting his debt by staying at home while getting his bachelors (in biology and music). He is going to have to move to another island to go to med school and he will have to have a part-time job while going to school to help support himself.

My youngest son is on his own working and getting residency in Oregon. gonna start college soon.

You don't have to go to an expensive college, and you can get out on your own if you want to. Treat your parents like the angels they are for giving all that they do and quit complaining. You have no idea what it is like to be a parent. I'll leave it at that.

4. #24 mrgoodsmoke, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
    1) get kicked out
    2) find a roommate and rent a cheap apartment
    3) apply for food stamps, (i shit you not, you will get them and this will qualify you for student aid so that you don't have to use your parent's income as a factor in section 3 of the federal financial aid form)
    4) go to college on pell grants
    5) tell your parents to shove it up their asses

Information is freedom. You're right, it has nothing to do w/ age. You will have to work 50-60 hours a week in fast food for about a year to make this all happen while things are processing, or you'd do better to find a job that pays cash so you can stay out of the wrong tax bracket, (can't lose those food stamps or you wont be independent on the financial aid form until you're 23, a veteran, married, have kids or become a ward of the court but you're too old for the last one). It's alot of work, but you're gonna work alot in life anyway. Get something out of it.

5. 18 is less freedom than being younger because now i gotta pay taxes because i own a car and a few other things. fuck that.

6. What?

7. Thanks for understanding my point completely, and yes, that's exactly it. You can't bitch about not having any freedom when you made the choice to live as you do.

Sadly, this is usually the case. Kids these days are coddled and overprotected by their parents. Shit when I was growing up my father let me know that he unconditionally loved me, and that the moment I turned 18 I was out of the house. That was what I expected and what I prepared for.

Sadly you are one of the few. I can't tell you how many times I see KIDS on this board whining about getting caught. I have zero sympathy. Youre' 18, you wanna smoke weed move out. Simple. I don't care about your personal situation, or the fact that you can't move out because of finances. You live under your parents, you follow their rules. Don't like it, move. You're 18, YOU DO HAVE THE CHOICE. Just because you don't WANT to move out doesn't mean you are trapped.

Exactly this.

I would beg to differ in that at 22 college grad who have never lived on their own are even less prepared than a HS grad who never goes to college but moved out on his own after turning 18. And yes, I do think there's something wrong with that, but that's an institutional thing and not really relevant to this conversation.

This is the bottom line. VERY VERY few of you are actual parents with college age kids. Hell I'm a parent, but my daughter is only 4, so I have awhile to deal with this. Until you have kids of your own, your perspective in this matter is entirely skewed, you only see it from your side. I can only imagine how I'm going to deal with the inevitable time when my daughter actually hates my guts and doesn't want to have anything to do with me.

But to have your punk teen-age kid disrespect your wishes when you're paying for their entire life, that's just wrong as wrong can be.

8. why are people still posting? the thread has been solved.

9. Isn't easy to get your own place at 18, along with working a job to pay your way, and be going to school. It's possible, but it's smarter to just stay with your rents and avoid student loans.

But if your not going to school, find a job and find some room mates.

10. Some of you have this idea that once you turn 18, anything your parents give you is some kind of a magical gift and should be treated as such.

That is a stupid way to look at family. A GOOD parent, doesn't stop being a parent once their kid turns 18. Real families help each other out all throughout life. I am not saying parents should spoil their kids, but paying for their college education (if financially able) is something a good parent would do. Kicking your kids out when they turn 18 and telling them they are on thier own does not by any means make you a good parent.

Someone mentioned about paying their parents rent to live at home. Not trying to rip on your parents, but If i had kids I could never imagine asking them for rent

11. Of course once you turn 18 you are legally free. You just choose not to be. It's not a hard concept to understand, really.

12. Yeah, you can have all the opinions on you want on what does and doesn't constitute good parenting. BUT you have absolutely no frame of reference outside of your own parents and the parents of your friends. Your opinion MIGHT mean something more if you had kids, but you don't. When you do your opinion MIGHT have more weight behind it, but now...nah...not so much.

13. problem with this thread is everything is based on opinion. you simply can't back these things up with facts.

I would however find in safe to say that MOST people would say a good family helps each other out. Paying for college as being helpful could be subjective depending on values, and one's work ethic.

14. Just because you have a kid doesn't mean you know better then me what family is all about. That's like saying you need work at mcdonalds to understand what a shitty job is. Smart people, learn from the mistakes of others not from their own.

Your dad kicked you out when he was 18, sorry to say, but he was a shitty dad. Good parents don't kick their kids out. Now you are trying to justify what he did, thinking good parenting means treating your kid like he's on survivor. It's stupid

15. Nice straw person argument. You can have kids and still be a shitty parent.

16. ... Am I the only one whose parents smoke? :confused: If my mother caught me smoking she'd say "remember the oust" and if my father caught me smoking he'd probably want some.

17. OK again, you have ZERO frame of reference here. Up until the 90's it was the NORM in the United States for children to leave home at age 18. Shit I remember growing up in the 70's and 80's we couldn't WAIT to get out of the house, I dunno what happened to kids in the 90's and the 00's, but they got soft and parents got even softer.

And FYI, my father didn't ACTUALLY kick me out, because he passed away when I was 16. I stayed with my widowed mom until she remarried and moved to another state. But that part isn't actually relevant. I just want to point out how many wrong ASSumptions that you've made on this topic.

Again, you can have an opinion on the topic of good or bad parenting, but until you actually BECOME a parent, you really have ZERO clue, and when you're actually talking to a parent, remember that. You have no idea what it's like to bring a child into this world, feed them, care for them and love them, and until you do, your OPINIONS do not mean a whole hell of a lot.

18. This is true, obviously you can have kids and be a shitty parent, but you are being absolutely assinine and self-righteous if you judge how someone else chooses to parent their children WITHOUT EVER HAVING BEEN A PARENT YOURSELF.

And that's my point.

19. But that's just your opinion, and a logical fallacy at that.

20. So no one likes my idea? It totally works. If you're willing to act like a grown up, then you can have grown up shit.