Indica soil recommendations

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by flyer, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Heres what i'm looking for
    -indica or mostly indica
    -grows well in soil
    -good taste
    -short flowering time
    -fairly easy (i've heard some strains like SLH can be awesome, but at the hands of an expert)

I'm not too concerned with yield or potency(although they don't hurt), I just want something with a nice flavor. I'm currently thinking HighGrade Seeds NL #5 or blueberry, Sensi seeds maple leaf indica or barney's farm LSD.

2. Northern Lights is probably close to what you are looking for, 8-9 weeker though. She withstands some serious abuse, that I can attest to!

3. An easy plant to grow is Romulan. I did two outdoor clones and got a decent yield, they had a slight pine smell to them but the indoor Romulans I`m about to harvest in a week or two are alot more smelly and crystaly. Their pretty tough plants. The two outdoor ones handled 105 degree days with no problems and the indoor ones I had a spider mite problem but after being watered with Azamax and a couple of sprays with it it the mites are gone not to mention that I had PH problems due to my PH meter giving me a hard time.

4. Between Grapegod & Romulan, grapegod being more indica and faster flowering. Mollasses (grade b) throughout the grow will hook up the flavor a lot more.

5. #5 tplat, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010

I got some Grape God for my next outdoor summer grow. It doesnt say how much of an indica/sative cross Romulan is but it is a tough plant that is easy to grow, ok taste and a good yielder. Will find out with the Grape God this summer, also got 1 seed off of one of my outdoor Romulans last summer. Gonna do a variety for this next summer grow of those two mentioned and a few others. As for unsulphered mollasses I go through alot of it. I use it everytime I water and feed. Heres a few bud pics of the Romulan that is about a week or two from harvest from my indoor grow, they are clones from my two outdoor ones I grew during the summer.

Attached Files:

6. your in for an awesome harvest tplat. they're looking plump and juicy i bet their sticky mofos. wear latex gloves when chopping/trimming and then dip those gloves in 91% alcohol and let the alcohol evaporate and you've got stronnnnng homemade trim bubble hash :D mollasses is the best supplement out there for getting the best flavors out of strains..

7. #7 pokernaut, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
    same soil recommendation as for any strain... as much organics rich ingredients as you can mix into a soil without burning roots. composted ANYTHING is always better as the process tames soil chemistry as well as releases nutrients. manure, at just 1% concentration levels for nutrients can't burn roots and isn't a shabby soil suppliment as it's really cheap, but composted manure will be much better food. the general rule is good soil is dark.

if you're using a lot of "dirt" style topsoil because that's what's around & cheap, add pearlite to aid in draining and vermiculite to retain water as well as whatever organics you can mix into it. in some places, all soil you find will be the ground up trees "bark fines" variety. that aereates as well as retains water better than pure soil which will clump without ammendments.

composted manure, if you can get it, would be good for up to 25% or maybe even 50% of a soil mix as long as you add pearlite & vermiculite, but won't need them with most bark fines soils as most already include pearlite, sometimes too much of it even like in black gold's mix.

any of these composts are great: manure, chicken, horse, agricultural byproduct, mushroom, or especially ones made from leftover foods. don't use meats & animal byproducts in home made compost as they promote parasites.

earthworm castings are a great soil ammendment that's rich in organics, but won't burn plants. it can't be used as a pure soil as it would turn to mud & drown plants, but at up to 25% in a good mix it would make plants happy.

i can't stand the taste of blood meal in leaf trim & refuse to use it at all in any ammendment. it's a foul smelling ingredient that's nausea inducing at full strength & foul in mixes. there's someone here that claims you can't taste it in weed, but either they've only used it in trace amounts or have the fewer tastebuds that those who prefer bland foods have that can't detect the nasty iron & death taste blood meal CAN impart, probably just through water.

be careful using chemical ferts. they can impart nasty burning tastes at even seemingly minute amounts in water. it's best to just use what nature provides. it has a system... everything gets used or passed down until it's eventually food for something again.

a handful of ph balancing lime never hurt a soil mix

there are a ton of organic fert blends out there that are even broken down by NPK (nitrogen, phosphorus & potassium, with a K? must be silent) levels depending on what stage of growth a plant is in. bat & seabird guanos are popular concentrates for flowering i think. if you have the space to do it, the best thing in the world you can do for any soil is compost it yourself. throw whatever non animal food products (i think dairy is OK though as ice cream is listed in a commercial compost) in it and mix it in with your soil after turning it in the sun all summer. i worked with a grower who just mixed his compost with dirt cheap (pun intended) k-mart topsoil and his bud had the cleanest freshest taste around. if you don't throw food away, compost a couple bags of manure or even better compost commercial piles compost. the secret to the best compost is keeping it aerated.

don't compost human or pet waste either. that can lead to nasty parasitic infections.

running any high grade organics through a compost spinner could only break them down better for plants. commercial composts tend to be wet & slimy when organics that have been fully composted will turn into a fluffy black soil. i bet composting earthworm castings improves those too. if they can be composted, bark fines would be more nutritious with some breaking down. it's a good way to recycle soil too i bet.

kelp meal is supposed to be good for a top dressing or for watering in & stimulating early root growth.

just try to get as wide a wide variety of good "soils" & ammendments as you can. give your plants a buffet (they love big 5 gallon buckets) and even feed them more with watering as needed.

i imagine breaking slimy & chunky composts down before mixing them with dryer ingredients is a great way to aerate them as well as aid more even mixing of ingredients & when you do it by hand is a great way to spoil your plants by finding space wasting rocks & twigs.

you can grow weed in the shabbiest hillside clay dirt & get dirt weed, or you can give it high grade grub broken down for most efficient uptake & have happy ladies desperate to get knocked up
    & flashing their chubby well fed ovary regions. even if the weed doesn't directly use a chemical, it ingests some of whatevver's in the soil it lives in. just as blood meal can seriously foul the taste of leaf trim, using forest soil from over 20 feet from train tracks can impart a nasty too harsh to smoke oil taste to leaf trim. you wouldn't think a couple trains a day could foul soil so far away so much.

the best tasting bud (not counting flavor strains) was the co-worker's fresh green salad tasting home grown. dude put serious love into his plants. it showed. weed will prosper in the shabbiest of soils, but responds to every bit of care it's given to the point you'd think two otherwise identical plants are totally different. just because the bud you got was shabby doesn't mean the seeds that were in it are. there's a lot of improving you can do to weed that started out as headache inducing dirt brick with soil, water & sunshine.

8. One thing I noticed between the Grandmas unsulphered molasses and some organic brand I got at a hydro store is that the organic has no sodium in it. So I may switch over to the organic brand if I can find a better deal on it in bulk. My nephew did an experiment with a couple of his indoor plants and that was using some cheap syrup from the Dollar Tree store and he said those two plants produced some of the stickiest buds he grew sofar.