Will cold temps affect my buds hanging and drying?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mugzy3, Dec 16, 2010.

1. The title says it all...Will cold temps affect my buds drying they fluxate from 40-50 F id say... my guess it will jsut take longer....if anyone has personal experience that would be even better thanks guys!

2. I dont think temps around that will matter too much but i could be wrong...
    Just make sure that the buds dry out in complete darkness and have air flow. The point of drying is to obviously get rid of the moisture, so the higher the temps, the less moisture in the air and the faster they will dry out.

So i guess colder temps should just take the bud longer to dry out, however, i do not know how much longer. It could minimal but idk.

hope this helped:smoke:

3. It shouldn't be too bad for it like grahamie said, dark and air flow.
    A de-humidifier is a very good friend at this point especially when you can adjust the humidity level. Somewhere around 20% is what i was always told. And they usually make a lil bit of heat when they are running, so if the current temps are trippin you out i'd try it.

4. i went in their today looks nice and icy the trichromes that is, but the bud are slowly drying! im jsut gone let em hang prolly for 5-6 days and prolly toss em in a bag for a day or 2 then to the jar!

5. Seems i get better results in colder temps.. Humidity is often lower in cooler temps.. Higher temps seem to dry them out too quickly.. at cooler temps like yourself, usually takes me about 10 days to dry.. 1-2 additional if need be, then straight into jars..

• Agree Agree x 1

6. From my readings, this is fairly correct.

65-75 degrees is fairly optimal. Less than 65 degrees should lengthen the drying time. Temps greater than 75 degrees cause the exterior of the bud to dry faster than the interior.

Humidity levels should be around 40-60%.

7. thanks guys for the responses...jamacian i had the same way of thinkin im in MD it just snowed out today so the temps in the closet are still chilly lol and the humidity is really low i wake up in the morning with a really dry mouth=] im sure the humidity is a lil higher in the closet cause the heat dont run in there!

8. i wouldnt worry too much unless it drops below freezing. just gonna take a bit longer

9. Im reading all this info and the info is all over the boards here? The best temp and humidity for drying is 70 dgrees and 50% humidity period end of story! Cooler temps down to about 65-60 degrees is ok just takes longer to dry.Better to dry in cooler temps than hotter,hotter will dry to quick.I alway run my temps 65-70 degrees and humidity as close to 50% as I can slightly higer RH to 55% is ok but I wouldnt let RH out of the 48-55% spectrum and for temps keep between 65 degrees and 73 degrees.

10. It's called Curing your bud, lol...
    Yes cooler temps are the way to go. been curing for a long time and I always use the cooler temps to do so. They cure faster in cooler temps vs. hi temps, The humidity is less in cooler temps and your ladies cure better in those temps. IMO you get the best result in so. Just don't do it to fast then you're drying and you don't want to dry, you want to Cure. I let them sit in jars to two to three weeks and burp the jars once or twice a day until you get a nice STICKY BUD.... :) not crispy not mushy. STICKY :) UMMMMMM...
    GOOD LUCK Let Us know how it turns out for you...

11. It depends on your local conditions but yes it's usually dryer in the cold then in the warmer months of the year and so a crop can actually dry faster with less chance of budrot and other problems.

Don't jar them until they are dry enough to crisp a little in your hands and you can smoke a bowl without it seeming overly wet. That's when I jar. Typically I have to remove them from the jar once for about 20 minutes or so after the first day in the jar. The jar draws out the deep trapped moisture from the buds once they are exposed to it and they usually moisten right up after a day in the jar even though they went in there with some crisp.

Dump out the jars day 1 into a paper bag or back on a drying tray and let them sit for 20-30 minutes or more then jar them back up until day 2.

I've been using humidity packs in my jars since last crop and I like it. My local store carries integra boost 55% packs so that's what I decided to try and I like it. Many people use the bovita 62% packs but if you read many reviews a lot of users switch to the 58% packs because 62% is borderline moist. 58-55 is better for longer term storage and if you like a nice dry bowl.

Using humidity packs you can be much more lazy about jar burping. You still have to do it but they seem way less prone to fluctuations. I only burp for the first 2 weeks and it seems like the humidity packs take over from there.

12. I have more trouble in the winter since the air is so much drier and I want a slow dry/cure. And the dew point can take extreme swings from day to day.

13. Lower temp --> lower humidity = longer dry

Higher temp --> lower humidity = quicker dry

My basement has perfect temp/humidity for drying but I have to setup the tent every now and then to dry due to smell.

I setup my tent with the exhaust going at 68 degrees and 50-60 humidity. It takes 4-8 days to dry depending on how much I trim or if I use a drying rack.

If you can't get the conditions you like you can create a drying room for like $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum