How to set up a carbon scrubber for scrubs

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jimmyjazz, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Im just preparing myself for the odor that is going to be unleashed on my apartment. Its gonna be my first grow but ne who Im not to sure how to set up the carbon scrubber. Im probaly just gonna buy one and all this talk of pushing and pulling has me confused. I have a grow tent. Do I just get that ducting tube stuff and hook it up to one side of the little vent holes then like run it through the fan and then out the another vent hole? I want to try and use the fan to blow on my plants too. Is that even possible or do I just have to have two fans in my grow tent? Any reccomendations will be greatly appriciated. Also if you know of any good sites to get the carbon scrubbers or fans or any other products that I will need that would help too.

2. you are right to prepare yourself for the smell, depending on the strain it can be quite strong.

If you search the site you'll find a lot of suggestions for homemade carbon scrubbers of several different types. For good smell filtering you need a good fan to overcome the resistance of the filter media. I've read the different opinions on push vs pull and I personally don't get it, but I've never seen the science behind it explained. They say to think of trying to push a string vs pulling a string. Since air is compressible and expandable it would seem that a rubberband would be a more appropriate analogy to use. The advantage of the pull method is it gives you more options for filter types. If you push the air through the filter then you need a filter that would fit into your ductwork which reduces your possible surface area.

I just ordered a vortex fan off ebay, you might start there for your supplies. The place I bought it from also had fan/filter combos. With a combo I would assume that you are getting a well matched filter/fan pair, but maybe the jokes on me.

Good luck with your grow. Read up on the stickies on the different forums and you'll get a wealth of information.

3. Yea dude thanks I was searching forever on the ventilation so I was like why not be lazy and see if the answers will come to me without searching ha ha yea im gonna check that fan you bought out. I have a honeywell fan that is like those vortex ones i think but I was worried about the fitting of it and all that yea i dont get how the filter doesnt get in the way or how I attach it guess its just buy the crap and start the custimization ah ha

4. oh what do you think a 4 inch or a 6 inch fan for a grow tent that is prob like 5 feet by 5 feet and im in an apartment so I was sort of leaning towards the 6 inch to maximize the odor control. the sound is not really an issue cause the freeway is right there and is louder than shit.

5. Can't answer to a grow tent, I got a room out in garage and I don't need cooling as well as odor control. But it's more about your lighting, will you be making lots of heat with your lighting? Of course when it comes to things like odor control, I would err on the bigger side. The more air you can move the more carbon you can move it through.

6. #6 jimmyjazz, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2010
    So Ive been reasearching this and I feel like a monkey trying to f a football. I dont get it this is what I can picture so far the inline fan is in the grow tent just gonna set it on the floor so there will be a piece of ducting from the intake to the fan then this is where I get confused does the carbon scrubber then attach to the fan with duct to vent or could there be a piece of ducting that runs up to the carbon filter hanging from the ceiling and then venting out which seems to me if I did this it would be pulling air from outside the grow tent then running air through the filter never actually sucking air from the grow tent or is this the idea and why wouldnt I just set up the carbon scrubber on the outside of my grow tent if its all gonna circulate the air anywase but wouldnt I want to have like an intake on the inside of my grow tent so that it pulls the smelly air and then filters it out so I was thinking what if I had like a y piece on the intake where it pulls in fresh air from the room then on the inside will be that y piece so it will be pulling air from the tent too and would be pushed through the scrubber and then out the vent. not to mention my grow ten has little screen flaps on the side that let ventilation it too will this defeat the purpose of the carbon filter or will it just filter the whole room or what kinda of a jumbled typed mess but I think you can get the pic.

7. Hahaha, dude you're confusing yourself.

Mount the fan outside of the tent (you can even set it right on top if your tent will support it) Run your duct through the vent sock and connect it to the carbon filter (hanging from your ceiling) on the inside of your tent.

You want your fan to pull air into the carbon filter, through the duct and out the hole.

That's it.

8. like this...

Attached Files:

9. I like the carbon filter in the room, then duct to the fan & finally, duct from the fan to outside or other room.And it's always better to draw air than push it.That's why those in the know use a higher rated fan for exhaust and the smaller one for intake.

10. I couldn't even read wut u said cuz u even started confusing me Jimmy lol..

Place the carbon filter/fan hooked together along the top of the grow tent/cabinet (heat rises) they say it's better to have the fan pulling the air thru the carbon filter as it's 1 easier for the fan to accomplish and 2 filters the dust/pollen out of the air so it'll make your fans life-span longer w/o cleaning.. Cut a passive hole (as I understand it) near the bottom of your tent as it'll pull cooler air in due to the pressure the your inline fan is making (some use cpu fans for intake, however, is un-necessary as your inline fan will be making a negative pressure pulling the air thru ne way..

I've yet to do this myself yet, but I've been reading a lot lately as I plan to.. good luck, and if I'm wrong in anyway sum1 plz correct me.

11. Looks like you understand to me.

12. No, actually... Not like that at all.

13. I agree,that will clog the filter and render the pre-filter useless.

14. Interesting, i'd like to hear if anyone has used one of these.. funny cuz I actually was wondering why no1 made an all in system like this, seemed like it be more space-efficent if one was using chest high cabinet like I plan.. I'll check back for this answer and do a little research myself.. Good find Jimmy.

15. #19 PoonDaddy30, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
    Not many reviews that I could find, however I only looked thru the first page of google then began looking thru their ebay reviews.. They got a HELLa lot of good reviews on there n only 3 bad reviews, BUT the one really scares me..

dont waste ur $,buy the real one,they cant even handle veg odor, much less flowr\tBuyer:
    Reply by foothill-carbon-filters (Jun-03-10 06:47):
    would have given refund, they were rude & disrespectful,know it all, got a 624

I'll keep looking, the reviews that weren't thru ebay showed promise tho.. Weird thing is I swear everyone who has left a review in the different forums seems like they're sumhow affiliated with the company, they just kiss A LOT of ass..

16. Anyting with a pc fan is junk.Inline fan all the way.4" or 6".