What are the effects of using Miracle Grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MiZZuRKeD, Dec 7, 2010.

1. The question says it all. I am just wondering if my plants droopiness is being cause by the Miracle Grow soil I have? I just recently changed soils so I guess I'll find out for myself soon but figured I'd ask anyway.

2. I just started my grow using mairacle grow also. Alot of poeple on here say dont use it but i cant afford fox farms this grow and have heard of good results from it to... I await the replies.

3. Might depend on which MG soil you have. I used MG Organic organic and MG nutes(reg blue and the purple Bloom) for my first grow and pulled 5 1/2oz off 4 plants. My soil mix was/is (since I still use it as a backup while I experiment) 60% MG Organic(in the brown bag), 20% MG Perlite, and 20% vermiculite. Good quality, frosty bud. Make sure you flush heavy for 2 weeks though. I only flushed one and the smoke was a little harsh.

Droopiness tends to indicate either too much or not enough water if that's the only symptom you have(no burnt tips or curling leaves). All advice is from what I have learned both reading and growing, but heavier to the reading side since I'm only on my 3rd grow.

4. Yea I know about the over/under thing but I think the soil had to do something with it because when I transplanted and dumped the MG soil all of the moisture seemed to be clogged up at the bottom. Maybe it doesnt hold moisture well?

5. I recommed MG Organic soil and MG nutes to EVERY first time grower. You can't start seeds in it because it's too hot, but I've never had a problem with established plants. I tend to prescribe to the "KISS" school of thought. Keep It Simple Stupid(Or keep it simply simple for those that don't like being called stupid). I've grown veggies all my life and have had great success with MG so it just seemed to be the smart thing to do. I haven't found anything to outperform it yet, but I just got my FREE(just shoot them an e-mail saying you like MG and want to see what THEY have to offer) FF sample nutes. I'm excited to use them and Organic soil, but I'll have a couple ladies in MG to make sure MY stash doen't run dry.

6. I bought the 3 pack Quart FF Nutes.

7. I line the bottom 1 1/2-2" of my pots with gravel and haven't had that problem. The gravel acts as a buffer between your medium and the run-off in your catch basin. My roots grew through the gravel and sat in the water until it evaporated, but the soil didn't get soggy. A quick easy way to try it is to just sit your pots on something small(a few rocks, small dixie cups, etc) under your pots and let them have a couple days to adjust. This eliminates the wick effect that a good soil will have when sitting in 1/2" of water.

8. I might try that if I need to transplant again. Im just sic of my plants looking so damn sad!

9. Just set 'em on a couple of stones and you should see improvement within 24-48hrs if that is the problem. No need to transplant.

10. Word.. Thanks man.

11. Would the gravel off set the ph of your runoff though?if you were to check your ph... or is gravel neutral?

12. That's a good question. Idk. I would think it would depend upon the type of rock used. Limestone being different than granite and granite being different than lava. Never really thought about it. Kinda assumed my gravel was neutral.

13. If the gravel is from granite then the rock is slightly acidic - but you have to let the water sit there for quite a while first.

The only complaint I have about MG is that the primary nitrogen source is from Urea. You need to have a herd of at least 2 different bacteria to convert the Urea (which the plant can not use) into Nitrate (which the plant can use)

This is why MG should not even be let in the room with a Hydro grow.

14. it's just strong,they don't call it miracle burn for nothing

15. I'm growing in MG Moisture Control with added perlite right now and it's going well. I germinated them in MG and my plants are 24 days in and quite lush and stinky with four sets of fans and more on the way and they've started branching as well. :hello:

I haven't seen any sign of nute problems yet but I did have an unidentified plant sprout in one of my pots, though. I can only assume the seed was in the MG soil when I bought it so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

The soil gets top mold real easy as well. That's easy to take care of, though. Just scrape the top of the soil off with a clean spoon and place it in a microwavable dish and nuke it for fifteen seconds then shake it up and nuke for another five seconds and allow it to cool off as it will be very hot. You can shake it around to cool it faster if you want. When cool, just dump it back in with your plants as anything in the nuked soil will be dead.:devious:

Also, I had a problem with white-fly (I think) crop up about a week ago but I just went to the hardware store and got Bayer Rose and Flower Insect Killer in a spray bottle. It says on the back that it's okay for houseplants. One treatment with that and the bugs are gone. I'm early in veg right now so I think this is okay but if I were flowering I think I'd have to find another solution. I think the flies were in the soil since they only seemed to be bothering one plant but I sprayed the both of them to be safe.

This is my first ganja grow and only with two plants, though. That's been my experience thus far. Hope it helps.

16. I had the same topsoil issue, but didn't nuke it. Good idea!

I'm only on my third grow right now(getting ready to harvest #2) and have learned that with ANYTHING you put on your plants be acceptible for food applications. Houseplant simply means it won't "off-gas" and contaminate the air. Unless it says SPECIFICALLY that it is for veggies, fruits, etc stay away from it. Maybe in early veg, but definitely not once you hit flower.

17. The product I mentioned says on it's label that it's safe for children and pets one hour after it's dried but I agree it's not something you'd want to use directly before or during flower. It's just not worth the risk.