Growing with LED Christmas lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by SsmokeWeed, Nov 30, 2010.

1. yo guys, im bumping this thread as i created a new thread asking the same question before finding this.

i have contacts with chinese factory owners/wholesalers who custom make me grow lights for my ebay business.
    so instead of 'led christmas lights', i can specify the wattage per led, the wavelength, the red/blue color ratio, and create 'led grow strips'.

can someone actually tell me why this wouldn't work?
    assuming the grower already has at least 50-100w of led light, an extra 5-10w wrapped around each bud could only help fatten them up, right?

2. This is a link to an LED lamp that looks like it can do the job. I only want it for one plant so I think it should provide enough light. Any ideas if this lamp will work or not?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/LED-Orange-Spectrum-Hydroponic-2501QUAD/dp/B003AJ9O0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1293604525&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: 225 LED Quad Band Red, Blue, Orange and White Full Spectrum Hydroponic Plant Grow Light, 2501QUAD: Home & Garden[/ame]

3. SOMEWHERE I have actually come across a diy project for a led clone and seedling box. It was done in a rubbermaid tub with individual holes drilled in the lid and then rope of all white led xmas lights rigged on the back of the lid with the lights pushed into the holes. Guy swore it worked!

I've thought about trying a DIY led panel a lot, but everything I see as far as good successful led growing is done with something that has some high watt led's, at least 1 watt or more each... I don't see xmas lights holding anywhere near enough output to amount too much, BUT I don't see why they shouldn't grow something!

4. If you removed the red/orange lights..and got the lights close enough to say clones..then you may be on to something, really a case of lumens (led) Vs lumens CFL
    I think a 23w cfl would win hands down,get a light meter and see!
    Most led are powered by a wall transformer to 12vdc, their you waste power, cfl would win, unless you got a solar charger to power the led christmas lights

good luck, don't let this negative post put you off!
    "V"

5. Nope, nope, NOPE. Read up on LEDs. Those are the 5mm through hole LEDs. Those are probably 50mW LEDs. Not gonna do jack shit for plants. For growing you want 1W SMD emitters at least.

6. bah, old thread.

7. Yeah! ..I saw that too, months ago like you, I want to make my own LED panel, did a google and ended up at the same site, I think he was trying to grow veggies...but man it's all in the lumens, wait a few months a bigger brighter LEDs are on the way,

peace
    "V"

8. "please don't take this personally, but people who fuck off and try to get away with reckless shit like using cheap christmas lights to grow pot put other people's lives at risk. if someone got hurt in a fire caused by christmas lights in a grow tent, people would begin (continue, really) associating pot growing with people doing the proverbial concrete swan dive into the darwin awards. that doesn't lend any legitimacy to the practice." 

Seems to me the guy had an idea and is asking questions and researching before possibly trying it.Isn't this how new or improved techniques come about?    

9. Hi Friends,

Understanding concerns around safety, price, quantity of LED Christmas lights required to flower w success, as well as the post noting the death of this thread, I did read thru the LED+HPS closet grow link provided, and feel Ive still got a valid question re: Christmas lights. If mods disagree, please direct me to the best spot to ask?

I inherited an INSANE # of xmas lights from a moving neighbor over the weekend, insane. That said, ive worked with actual LED grow lights and am not a fan necessarily. However, I grow yr round outdoors on a super tight-DIY-recycle everything kind of budget. That said, in the flower months outdoors in norcal I supplement my non-flowering plants with enough light after sunset to keep them in veg until I decide they're ready. My supplemental/seedling lighting tent, comprised of 6+ cfls, is obvioysly sub-par for substantial growth, but it does the trick.

As I started bagging up 20+ strings of all white and all blue Christmas lights to donate them to goodwill, it occured to me that I may be able to supplemebt my sub-par cfl supplemental light tent with them. Would the knowledgeable folks here be able to offer me feedback? Would the added light make my time hanging a 3-20 strands worth it to my vegging girls? Or would I simply need too many (back to safety issue) that its a waste of time? Again, the xmas lights would only be used as supplemental to extend daylight hours alongside current cfl setup, which sucks at the moment but it works as intended.

Id appreciate any thoughts!