My view on the philosophical side of Mathematics and Numbers

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Puff&Toke, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Hey fellow blades. I often find myself thinking about the philosophical side of life when im faded. So anyway, i was thinking today, you know scientists say every single thing in the universe can be explained by mathematics... how can numbers describe the planets, gravity and everything else? How can something that man created, translate everything into something humans can comprehend, into a set of numbers?

discuss.

2. easy ...math is alot more then just numbers...it is also all the shit that you can do with numbers....
    angles -probabilities- ratios- the list goes on.... so from the right perspective math can explain anything......
    anything that is physical.....

math has no hart ...so is unforgiving.....
    and cannot explain anything that has to do with "feeling" or "being"

when you say
    what they even mean by that statement would depend on the individual making the statement,,,,and his perspective on "every single thing" as it pertains to his statement.....

you with me so far?

3. maybe the math behind emotions is just so complicated we cant begin to grasp it

4. physics,, they measure what the universe has e.g. gravity, distance, u know

5. The flow of numbers in mathematical equations is not unlike the flow of life. The mannerisms involved in mathematics are somewhat related to the mannerisms of life in general.

6. you can find the pattern of life within every creation of man...

7. I suppose another reason is because numbers are all facts they aren't just somebodys idea or opinion

like an equation... of course down the line certain equations and number facts could be disproved but they were never intended to be just a guess or close guess in the first place

numbers dont lie basically

8. To say the universe can be described by an equation is a hopeful thing to say, even Einstein dreamed of a field of mathematics where there were no equations. Math and science are capable of measuring less than 5% of matter in space, less than 5% of the function of our DNA, and there are still things to be discovered everywhere, both inner space and outer space, microscopic and macro cosmic. What is science and math on about again? :D

I think, as our understanding of the universe unfolds, we will change our perception of mathematics in order to find a way to understand the mysterious manifestations and expressions of the universe. We cannot define what the function of the universe is, but we can try to make sense of it by representing it in a way that is translatable to the human mind. No more, no less.