Editing Your Photos. Cropping and Resizing

Discussion in 'Forum Tech Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting' started by Dr RealGood, Oct 30, 2010.

1. #1 Dr RealGood, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
    Every day, members post huge, over sized, photos on this site that distort the boards, and make it a nuisance just to read their posts. So here is a guide on how to edit your photos.

One of the easiest way to do this is with The Free Online Image Editor. It is very simple to use, and you cant upload photos from your desktop, or from a website. The photo I'm starting out with is 47.7KB (1060 x 1065 pixels) Now this is almost twice as big as the photo needs to be. Anything bigger than (600 x 600) is too big for the forum. So let's see what we can do

Step 1
    On the Online Image Editor website, click the File drop down tab, then click the Open button to open the Image you wish to use.

[​IMG]

Step 2
    Now there are two different ways to upload your photo. If the picture is a file on your computer, Use the top box by clicking the Browse Button. A pop-up will appear and you can locate, and upload your file by clicking the Open button in the pop up window. If you want to upload from a website. Enter the Image's URL where it says Or fetch from web.

[​IMG]

Step 3
    If you know How much your image needs re-sized (measured in %) than you can do it as you upload it buy check marking the Resize during upload box and picking the appropriate percentage. You can also change the file format. I won't be using this feature for this tutorial.

[​IMG]

Resizing Your Photo

Now that I have my image uploaded, It is time to re-size. Click on the Edit drop down tab, and then the Resize/Crop button, and finally the Resize button.

[​IMG]

Now, instead of choosing a percentage to resize your photo, you can choose the exact dimensions you want your photo to be. I'll go with (600 x 600).

[​IMG]

Since the Aspect Ratio box is checked, it automatically changes the dimensions that you typed in to keep the same shape as the original photo. If the original wasn't exactly square, like ours was, it will keep it like that so it doesn't distort the image. If you don't want this to happen just un-check the box. As you can see, it changed my (600 x 600) to (599 x 602) so that it doesn't distort the "Aspect Ratio" of the original photo. Click the Apply button when you are happy with your image size.

[​IMG]

Here is the final product.

[​IMG]

Cropping Your Photo

For cropping your photo. Steps 1-3 are the same. Once your image is uploaded, click on the Edit drop down tab, and then the Resize/Crop button, and finally the Crop button.

[​IMG]

Now there will be a big red square on your photo (you can see the top left had corner of said square in the photo below). What ever part of your photo you'd like to keep, you want to place inside of the red square. You can change the size of the square by clicking and dragging any corner of the square. Or you can type in the exact dimensions you want the square to be, like you did above when we were resizing our photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the picture below, I have the red box around what I want to keep, the bud. Every thing outside that square will be cropped out of the photo. Once I have the red box exactly how I want it. Click on the Apply button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final Product

[​IMG]

Saving Your Photo

Click on the File drop down tab, then the Save button at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Using this editor, you can either save your edited photo to your computer, or it can automatically be uploaded to your ImageShack account (if you have one). I'll show you how to save to your PC because I don't have an ImageShack account.

Click on the Save Image Local button to save to your PC

[​IMG]

I don't know if this happens to everyone, but I get a pop-up window like this one. Just make sure that you have the Save File box checked. Then click OK.

[​IMG]

Then a pop-up window will open where you have to choose where on your PC you wish to save the file. I think you guy's can figure that out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I probably should have put this in the The Stash Jar, or Toking Tools. That's where a lot of photo's get uploaded.

3. Stuck them there too, dude. Have I mentioned that you rock today!!! :metal:

:D :D :D

4. Or use photoshop. :)

Photobucket has a similar tool on it too.

5. good shit.

6. Or if you're using a mac, it is very easy to change file size (as well as batch change size) in Preview.

Tools -> Adjust size

Make sure "scale proportionally" is selected, and then type in 800x600 or something of that nature.

[​IMG]

7. Hopefully this helps people..

8. Yeah, you can. But anyone can use this, no matter what image hosting site they use. I actually like this one more than the photobucket editor.

9. ImageShack also has a resize feature that you can use when you upload a picture. With this method, you can upload multiple pictures simultaneously and resize them all with one click. After you've selected all the photos you want to upload, you just click "Upload Options / Resizing >>", and then choose from the "Image Resize" dropdown menu. One of the options is "640x480 (for message boards)," which is the one I always use.

10. I agree, it's some cool shit if you don't own Photoshop.

11. Yes. And unfortunately, I fall into that category...

12. if you dont know how to do this, you are very computer illiterate. My mom can do this, and she is the shittiest computer user i've ever met.
    But good guide none the less.

13. I'm not doubting member's capabilities. More just stressing the point that it needs to be done. And at the same time, making sure that the lack of "know-how" can't be used as an excuse.

14. In my threads I post extremely large photos (9.2 megapixels) but since I host them with imgur: the simple image sharer , posting them on the boards is not an issue.

Any size image you like can be uploaded without being resized or made smaller. The handy part comes in when you have the option to post either the oroginal sized image, an 800x600 clickable picture or even a little thumbnail.

take a look! huge, high quality photos that dot clog up the boards or make distort thread margins.

[​IMG]

click the image for high resolution.

this is one of mine, and the picture is a "large, linked (to original) image for message boards"

hope this helps too, i know everyone loves their high res pics but i agree that huge pics can ruin a message boad :hello:

15. Thanks poopsmith, I've been wondering how to do that for a long time now!

+ rep :D

16. Thanks for this thread. I'm just learning how to post my pics. Some work better than others. Now if I could just remember what I did for the ones that posted well! I've been mostly editing in Picasa 3, and saving them to Windows Photo Gallery so I can upload. I don't use the sign in features of Picasa yet (I'm worried about how it works and privacy-scared I'll accidently upload all my pics to the web or something!!) :p, but would it be easier if I did and posted them from there? Does my question make sense? This is all new to me and I don't know the terminology yet. I've been learning by trial and error. More by error! LOL!

17. great thread man, thanks!

18. Everytime i find a picture i like, it says it can't upload the file.. for no reason.. the picture is 50x50 and 1kb? And its a picture of Pajama Sam holding a sock :| why wont it work? :p

19. Good thread it was helpful.. Thanks

20. Hello , really nice likes to join this counter cultural community hopes for good posts in it..