How To Grow The Best Auto Plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Boint, Sep 30, 2010.

1. #41 symonas, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012

My plants are 6 days old (counting from sprouting), but it seems they are growing much slower than it's described here. Could I be doing something wrong?

The strain's EasyRyder Feminised (auto).

Here's pics, 6th day from sprouting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They grow in a box with reflective material walls, 150W HPS with cooltube is about 25-30 cm from the plants, temperature measured at that distance is about 27-30C "day" and 20-23C "night", and if measured away from the light inside the box it's a few deegres less. Moisture was low as 20% for a first few days, but now I put a humidifier and I keep it at about 50%. Soil is regular potting soil for flowering plants with perlite, 5 liter pots. I didn't water them much because they don't seem to need it and I know it's better to water less than to overwater.

Please advise am I doing something wrong and did I slow their growth somehow?

2. #42 T2D4, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
    i think this is my favorite post on the subject. thinking about starting a pc grow box soon, and head is spinning trying to keep everything straight. got a nice pc box picked out, i think i have a handle on the soil (fox farms soil, plus fox farms trio of nutes), got the lighting schedule figured out.

just a couple dumb questions. do i need to do the paper towel thing with an autoflower seed? get some sprouts going before i put it in the pot?

i know i need to adjust the lights inside my grow box, starting as low as possible and raising them as the plant goes higher.

i know there's a fine art to cultivating and curing, but i figure ive got at least 6 weeks to get that figured out.

also, pretty much set on the AK ryder autoflower on the attitude seed bank website.

3. Mine is 3 weeks old from sprouting out the dust and it has just 3 nodes! It s not that tall! Why? I use a big pot (7l at least ) and its outdoor, taking direct sun all day. I m starting feedin her tomorrow

4. What's the soil you are using, pH of water, temperature? Here are my Easy Ryders in wek 3:

[​IMG][​IMG]

If you're interested, full journal is in my sig.

5. Great thread dude, im growing auto's myself, im growing AUTO #1 frome SeaOfSeeds, and i planted them directly into the soil. im using FFOF and FF nutrients. after 5 days i have 1 sprout out of 3 seeds, im going to give the other 2 untill saturday to sprout b4 i try to find them and see wats goin on. im using cfl too, i have 4 100w bulbs and 2 300w bulbs, so i think thats good enough light... check out my thread "Day 1" and tell me how im doing

6. Thanks for the info. Well, today is 26C*, but it has been
    raining a lot last weeks. Now it s the 5th day full sunny in a raw, very hot. I LL check the ph today ( litmus stripes ). Btw, I m not going to lst them, because they told me that outdoor it would reduce the yeld and anyway i have no reasons to do it. It s like yours on day 16/17 but a little tougher: same number of leaves but it's a little taller and stronger i think.

7. How did u check the ph? I mean, the percentage for the mix? Like 2 g of soil and 25 ml of water?

8. I dont take credit for this information but i think alot of auto growers will be interested,

[​IMG]

.. 1 afghan kush ryder minus 11 g i had chopped before the picture was taken.

The life cycle of auto flowering cannabis.

Another common question I see is when to switch autos from veg to bloom. Many people are under the impression that as soon as they see the first flowers it's time to switch. Perhaps a little explanation of the life cycle of autos will help to clarify this.

Weeks 1 - 3. Once you've started your seeds and they break the surface of the soil, they are in their seedling stage. The first set of leaves to appear will usually single fingered, followed by a second set that may still be single fingered or perhaps 3 fingered. Once that second set appears growth will start to accelerate as the new leaves provide more photosynthesis. This process will continue, more new leaves, faster growth. Depending on the type of soil in use, mild vegetative nutes can be introduced at week 2. By week 3 most plants will start to show their sex. Males will start to produce pollen sacks and females will display pistols.

Weeks 4 - 6. The plants are now entering a pre flowering stage. During this time the plants should exhibit explosive growth, often as much as a new set of nodes and 1" vertical growth a day. This is the time when they will gain most of their vertical height. Many people make the mistake of switching from vegetative to flowering nutrients at this point, assuming that since they see flowers it must be the proper time. This is incorrect. If the switch to flowering nutes is made at this time the vertical growth will stop and the plant will put it's energy into producing buds. If you need to keep your plants small, or want them to finish earlier, they by all means switch nutes at this point. But if you want to get the most out of your plants continue feeding vegetative nutes until you see the vertical growth slow and stop. Depending on the strain that will usually be sometime during week 5 or 6.

Weeks 7 - 9. By now vertical growth has stopped and the switch to flowering nutrients has been made. The buds will start to fill out and put on weight, becoming hard and tight. Pistols will start to change from white to brown, orange, red, etc. By now the plants will also have developed a strong smell. Toward the end of this phase the large primary and smaller secondary fan leaves will begin to turn yellow. This is an indication that the plant is moving toward the end of it's life.

Weeks 10 - 11. At this time flowering nutes should be discontinued and only plain pHed water fed to flush the remaining nutrients from the soil and improve the taste. Yellowing of the fan leaves will continue as the plant draws the stored energy from them. Eventually they will die and fall off. By the time that the smaller leaves that come from out of the buds will also start to turn yellow. Then it's time to harvest.

I know that many of you are thinking that the seed bank said the plants will finish in 8-9 weeks, so why are you saying they take 10-11? The claims made by the seed banks are somewhat deceptive. If you switch to flowering nutes at week 3 or 4 the plants can finish in the times the seed banks say but they will remain small and not reach their full potential yield. Years of growing by myself and others has shown that autos do best if you follow this time line.

Of course, there will always be variations depending on the strain, the environment, nutrients, etc. This information is meant to only serve as a general guideline.

9. fuck yeah man! Btw, I think that my plant ph is 7.5/7.8. The ph of the water is 7,44/7,64, I know this from experiments.

10. Your pH is way too high. In soil the pH should be between 6.5 and 6.8. Maybe 7.0 but that is pushing it.

11. these are my plants. What should i do? By fixing the water will i fix the soil as well? I have prepared a lot of 6.7 ph water.

Attached Files:

12. #52 Bradlo, May 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
    By watering with the pH adjusted water you should be able to bring down the pH of the soil, but it may take more water than you would normally use. If you can, measure the pH of your runoff, that will tell you about what your soil is at.

Edit: It's hard to tell, but it looks like your leaves are curling up at the edges. That should go away when your pH is fixed.

13. Okey thank you. I don't need to use a lower ph water ( For example 5.8 ) so that i can down the ph more easily, right? THey are growing very fast!! They just showed sex and they developed new branches in just 2 days!

14. I honestly don't know if that's how it works so I wouldn't risk it.

15. sound lads im going for some mid grade soil and vamping it up with chicken shit and bat guano then 20% perlite. hoping this will make up for the shitty compost what do you think?

16. great information. i've always grown autos and have had the best luck with the lowryder and roadrunner.

17. i've found ph 8.4 in soil is great. drops to 5.4-6 runoff...

if ur ph'ing and its low like 6 at runoff with like 6.5-7 water try just tap water.

runnin 8.5 tap with recommended calmag has given me amazing results.

18. anyone looking for a super low auto try dynafem auto critical.. its insanely low

19. Quick question, I have a red led which is extremely bright. Got it from some traffic lights. Lol. And as I say it is so bright I can't even look at it straight on from quite a distance. Would it be ok to grow my auto from seedling with this light only. I do have a 600 MH/HPS grow on the go also and I'm going to compare the same seeds from the same batch under the different lights. Just wondering if anyone uses just led lights and what kind of results they have had. I'm really wondering if it's worth doing to be honest??

20. [quote name='"dandavies99"']Quick question, I have a red led which is extremely bright. Got it from some traffic lights. Lol. And as I say it is so bright I can't even look at it straight on from quite a distance. Would it be ok to grow my auto from seedling with this light only. I do have a 600 MH/HPS grow on the go also and I'm going to compare the same seeds from the same batch under the different lights. Just wondering if anyone uses just led lights and what kind of results they have had. I'm really wondering if it's worth doing to be honest??[/quote]

If you don't have any info on the wattage, or lumen output, I would say its probably not worth wasting a seed.