Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does Pot burn calories??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by joefoss69, Sep 28, 2010.

1. THISS i guaranttee none of you eat near as much when sober
    i can tell you right now its not increased metabolism or anything of that nature
    it is because when you arent high you arent hungry simple as that,
    I workout daily and am a fitness freak and i have to force myself to eat small meals
    throughout the day because im simply not hungry when sober. then when i smoke
    ohhh man protein protein protein FUCK YEH:hello:

2. Maybe the ab workout from coughing my lungs out.

I understand what Shalashaskatoka is saying. I am always high and for some reason I would rather sit down and do nothing than get up and get some food, therefore I lose weight, and I have

3. Well OP, I think you're onto something with regards to the raising of the heart rate (pretty much no arguing that it happens) and that translating to an increased metabolism, but to be totally honest with you, age is probably going to be the largest factor with burning calories as you get older, pot smoking or not.

If you're of the average age on these forums (probably 18 - 20 years old), you haven't really reached that point where your metabolism slows down considerably. Once you start hitting your mid to late 20's though, you'll likely see a dramatic difference.

And let me tell you, it sucks, especially when you get a wicked case of the munchies like I do when I smoke... :(

4. I weighed 225 Straight edge, since I've been smoking everyday I now weigh 185...isn't that some shit

5. If you are truly interested in the truth, you should be looking at scholarly sources (hard to come by where marijuana is concerned, they're all riddled with propaganda...). Being a forum for us tokers, there is a lot of information on here that cannot be trusted. Somebody once told me not to smoke joints cause the papers were made with asbestos. After a little research I found out that papers used to be made using asbestos in the process somehow, but was halted in the early 1950's. That being said, there is a lot of good information on here too. It just gets tricky discerning one from the other.

I read in an article some time ago, that smoking pot, drastically decreases the blood sugar level (something about metabolites present in the bloodstream), which is why we get the munchies and tank out on junk food. A lot of people will tell you that they eat a bunch of healthy food, perhaps even a home cooked meal with no problem. From the article I can only deduce that the munchies are associated with blood sugar.
    now for my stoner remark:

To test this theory, since it cannot be proven to me, my only option is to get stoned and eat some sugar, and document it's effects.

It's very difficult to make the generalization that smoking pot speeds up the metabolism. Your friends probably do not share the same diet/exercise plan. And who knows, they may be doin' blow in the bathroom when nobody's watching. All I'm saying is the sample size is very small. I'm sure we all know skinny stoners, but I'm also sure that we all know obesce stoners.

Write a letter to the president with your hypothesis, and your plan to test it, maybe they'll fund you for researching it. From the way things look, he'd spend money on anything but our best interest. lol

6. i don't know if pot burns calories, all i know is that it gives me the shits the next morning, after a huge meal of munchies :smoke:

7. My theory is that because pot is so relaxing it could just be the release and vanishing of stress while smoking pot that makes losing weight seem to happen without really trying. Stress causes you to hold onto or gain weight, and most Americans have too much stress.

8. I used to be over weight and after smoking I've been able to maintain a balance in my weight which I thought the opposite would happen. I also do not eat with munchies because I believe it dulls the high.

How can you tell me this plant is not good for me?

9. #29 IDTENT, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    This site provides some good information on the topic of cannabis and it's effect on our metabolism. What Marijuana Does to Your Metabolism

Cannabis smokers tend to have lower BMI's than non smokers. It also seems cannabis smokers are better able to metabolism carbohydrates. "The most important finding is that current users of marijuana appeared to have better carbohydrate metabolism than nonusers," (Murray Mittleman, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical). "Their fasting insulin levels were lower, and they appeared to be less resistant to the insulin produced by their body to maintain a normal blood-sugar level."

Population studies have also found that a history of cannabis use is inversely correlated with type 2 diabetes.

" "Recently active cannabis smoking and diabetes mellitus are inversely associated," they determined. Authors estimated that subjects with a history of cannabis use were about 30 percent less likely to have diabetes compared to non-using subjects. "

Study: Cannabis Use Inversely Associated With Diabetes - NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws

So despite the fact that weed gives us the munchies, cannabis smokers are still less likely to be obese or develop type 2 diabetes.