Help with aeroponics nozzle/mister!!

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by Red Gonzalez, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ok, I've read through a lot of posts on three different forums and cannot get a straight answer. I'm going to start my first aero setup and am making my water feeds out of PVC. Can I use the standard mister/nozzle parts that go into hoses, or are there special parts made just for PVC? ANY answer will be greatly appreciated...I just dont want to waste any money doing it wrong. Also...do they need to be sealed (with silicone) or just screwed in?

Thanks for having me and I appreciate all of the good stuff I've been reading on here!

Happy growing

2. Heyzz!

Are you using micro misters with psi pumps or are you using submerse water pumps?

If you are using a sub water pumps then all you do is drill a small hole in the pvc and then with the threads on the misters u stick it in there. Make sure you use pvc hot glue.

IF you are refering to micro misters with psi pumps, then "yes" you do need an adapter that goes onto the pvc.

3. I just did some today...:wave:

Cut the barb off a 1/4" coupler and drill your PVC. The ones I did fit tight, but 2 out of 12 leaked (minimal drip) so a sealing compound should be used. Also, the the i.d. of the coupler seemed a little tight, so they got drilled (weakened, one broke :eek:).

Attached Files:

4. What you have in that pic is just a hydro setup. If you are using misters to spray the roots then yes you can use a 5/32 bit to drill the pipe and a 10/32 tap on the hole to thread the nozzle into it.

5. If u accidently drill the hole too big just use
    hot glue and a glue gun to fix the leak.

Hope tht helps.

6. All kinds of problems await PVC tube growers. Get a Rubbermaid tote (minimum of 18G) for max of 3 plants. Go to Reptile Basics for high pressure Aquatek pump, mist heads, tubing. YOu will also need a deep cycle timer capable of < 2 second on times. I use a Sentinel

7. i literally used plastic water bottle capps i superglued them to the hose and simply poked a hole in it with a tack. .

8. I have been looking at the nozzles for a week now and you'd be so surprised what a simple search for them on Google will do for you, and I am not meaning you any offense here by saying that either! I have always been aware of the type that is solide 360-degree spray, but lets be honest its not equal spray in every direction, it's just a fact given the design. Then I found these other 360-degree one on Amazon that look like little water sprinklers that you water your grass with that have that little kicker at the back that keeps coming back into the water and getting kicked away so it works it way around all 360-degrees. Now those look pretty cool, and I am seriously looking to learn a lot more about them, so I have been doing my own research.

The sprayers (both types) will tell you the thread count, which is important because you really have one of two ways of doing this... One you just drill your hole, some sprayers come with a cheap drill bit, other people say they used a size smaller and then used the correct 'Tap' given the thread count to cut threads into the pipe they are using. If you are using a Pex pipe (soft plastic) I can see drilling the hole and threading the sprayer in, but if you are going to thread it into a PVC pipe I'd be tapping that hole and cutting some good threads if it where me personally.

I personally would do things in such a way throughout my entire system to avoid using more chemicals and things like silicone as much as possible by designing my system so its water tight by cutting my threads with a tap. I am also going to make a post on PVC piping after I post this, you might want to read as well.

9. #9 Piggy Squishy, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    I have just tried twice to write the promised PVC article and twice it never posted and just disappeared into thin air!

-----------------

I finally got it to post under "Grow Room Design/Setup" titled "PVC,Plastics, Copper, and Food-Medical Grade Plastics & Why It AllMatters"