1000W SOG Roots Organics Soil and Nutes -

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Sgt.Stedenko, Sep 8, 2010.

1. I ll be drawing outside air through the lights and exhausting it into the attic. No reason to exchange the air in the room as long as you maintain proper CO2 levels and use a scrubber in the room. Trust me, I was very very skeptical too, unti I read this article and visited two super pro rooms that are running the same system.

Check this article guys, I found this a while ago and have been licking my chops ever since.
    The ultimate grow room | Cannabis Culture Magazine

Btw, things are looking reallllllllll good upstairs.

Late

2. What's happenin fellas, got a couple question. I've been searchin around online looking for some answers but as usual, there is tons of conflicting information.

Here's the scoop...Ive been using R/O water and adding Cal/Mag, along with the entire Roots Organics lins as Ive already mentioned. Problem is, when I add the nutes to my 6.5 ph R/O water, the ph plummets down to 4.8. The runoff after watering is roughly 5.4 I hadn't even paid attention to ph this time around, as I had read and been told from other 100% organic growers that you dont need to worry about ph in an all organic grow as much. So anyone have any ideas? I've read that bubbling the nutes for 24-48 hours will raise the ph up to the 6-7 range or I could add ph up i suppose.

Any advice? Things look pretty good up there, but I wanna make sure I keep on track...

3. I'm a bit short on time ATM but check this theory out and see if it makes sense. Simply stated: Generally speaking, ammonical and urea based nitrogen sources are acidic and will tend to drive pH down. Nitrate nitrogen is basic and will tend to drive pH up.

There's quite a bit to be understood about N as it relates to our hobby. You can check your label and see how this withstands scrutiny as it relates to your question. I'll check later to see what comes out of it.

Nice job!!

4. First of all, I dont know the answer to your question.

Are you seeing bad things going on with your plants? Apart from a low measured pH on your nuitrient and runoff solutions, is there anything else that is telling you have an problem?

Supposedly, not sure if I have the concept right yet, when you do an organic type grow, nutrient availablility is a function of the ability of the microbial community and the plant to symbiotically proivide each other nutrients.

In a non-organic grow, I think you need to rely more on soil pH to make sure that all of the fert's and nute solutions you add to the soil will be available to the plant for uptake. That is a function of pH, so pH might be significantly more important to this type of a grow.

My knowledge on this subject is not very deep, and others would be better to answer this.

5. Hey Gloden,

So far I havent seen any issues as im entering into the 3rd week of flower. Stretch has just about stopped and things look healthy. Just a little concerned that certain nutes can be locked out at low ph, namely Cal/Mag, but I dont see anything major happening.

Looking forward to the communities answers.

6. Those are some sassy plants sarge...;)
    As for your ph issue I wouldn't worry about it so much, as your plants are thriving and healthy.
    With organic growing were feeding the soil. The micro herd uptakes the nutes and knows how to process ph and pass nutes to the plant through the roots.
    Whereas in a non organic grow using chemicals the roots are dependent upon the nutes supplied and ph becomes a major issue.

7. Hey Sahge, I wanted to follow up on this. You know, I was only attempting to answer the question about pH change and "what" might cause the noted difference in the run off. Kind of an explanation of sorts. I've read this "N theory" before and how in an agricultural setting the source/type of N can be used to impact a soils pH. So that was that. Otherwise, your grow looks like healthy as healthy gets! I was just curious how the theory might apply to your question specifically about the pH flux.

But I wouldn't worry about pH as measured in the run off because that test is not an accurate one and arguably doesn't mean much in the overall scheme of things. JMO anyway.

8. Possum and Colafarmer, I appreciate the info. So I went out and picked up a digital soil ph monitor just to see whats goin on in my soil....6.5ph.

Soil seems fine and I believe that the Cal/Mag i was adding to my nutes (using RO water) was causing the ph of my nutrient solution to plummet. I'm going to use about half the light feeding recommendations from here on out as Im only trying to substitute for the lack of cal/mag in my RO water.

Anyone have any experience adding cal/mag to RO water and if so, how much should I add to make things balanced?

Sgt.

9. Sgt. Stedenko! Possuum requesting permission to speak Sgt! Sgt. What type of nitrogen is in the nutrient feeding program? Is it ammonia, urea, or nitrate?

Thank you Sgt. Stedenko! :wave:

10. At ease Possum....hahaha.

Actually I'm not certain as to the origins of the N in my nutes, but I am running the entire Roots Organics Nute line by Aurora Innovations - Roots Organics - Buddha Grow

The link is for the Buddha Grow, but you can find their whole line on there. I ll try and post some more pics tonight for you all.

Stedenko out !

11. wow if only my wife would let me lol....i will be watching closely....things is going to be an amazing ending!

12. Man, I can't seem to find the MSDS sheets for the Buddha line. Everything else is up on Igrowhydrow.com, except for those. That's bullshit they aren't all on the homepage.

Anyway, if it has an ingerdients list on the bottle, it may well tell you what form it comes in.

13. ...that's never a good sign. perhaps you have to request the breakdown over the phone or something?

14. Gentlemen, what's happening...

Got the Buddha Grow bottle out and here are the following ingredients:

Bat Guano, Worm Castings, Soy Protein Hydrolysate, Kelp Extract, Molasses, Yucca Extract.

Gettin another dose of nutes tonight so I ll charge up the camera for some shots. The tops are swelling nicely.

Late.

15. What's up people ?!?!?

Day 28 of bloom and things look good, crytals everywhere. A little disappointed with the size of the buds at this point, but I know that the LA Confidential tends to fatten up quite a bit towards the end, so Im still confident. I really can't wait to see what I can pull off this harvest, as I am anxiously awaiting the contruction of my new room.

Here's some pic for ya....

Attached Files:

16. Nice plants sarge!!...Those buds will fatten up and start stacking before they finish. A little molasses will help.

BTW...Hope you didn't get the ph tester...;)... The beauaty of organics is you can forget the ph 99.9% of the time. It's all in the soil and the ammendments you add that makes it work. Of course if your not using ACCT a good fert liquid like roots-organics, earth juice etc will do the job.

17. Nice lookin Buds Sarge

18. What's up people...

Plants are startin to stack nicely, but man those LSDs sure stretched, but not too bad. I just hope that all the kids finish at the same time.

Anyways, I have (had) a dual hose 12,000 BTU air con that bit the fucking dust the other night at 4 AM. I heard this horrible sound at 4 AM that sounded like a tractor was driving through my house, then after like 2 min it stopped. I tried to fall back asleep and 3 minutes later the sound was back. I jumped out of bed, opened my bedroom door, only to figure out that the sound is coming from my attic grow room...SWEEEEET... Anyways, I rush upstairs, smell burning plastic and I had horrible visions of fire inside. So I dont know how, but the compressor fan that cools the unit basically disintegrated inside the machine and it was thrashing about violently, like a washing machine that was off balance. I unplugged it and removed it from the room and sealed the room back up, turning the intake/exhaust fans on full bore. Things have cooled down here considerably, and there being only a little over 3 weeks to harvest, I should be ok on temps and humidity.

Thankfully I have already purchased a split AC unit for my new room that Im constructing. This could have been really really bad if I hadnt caught the incident in time. My roomate slept through the whole damn thing and if I wasn't home, the place could have likely burned down. Just another friendly reminder to be safe and prepare for the worst.

I ll put up some more pics tomorrow night.

Later

19. damn dude what a way to be vigilant...glad you caught that...we all know how hard shit would have been on you if it came out for the worse...other than that beautiful garden!

20. Good catch Sarge!!! My ears are trained to about every sound that happens in the grow room!

At least you got it taken care of.

How is the new room going?