Grow Tent Design.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ihatehippies, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Been playing around with the idea of starting my own grow for a while, and finally have the time and space needed.

Not to crafty with my hands and also not in a permanent situation so wanting to get a grow tent.

Looking for any and all feedback on how to improve my set up.

For the tent was thinking:
    Amazon.com: 24 x 48 x 60 inches. 100% Reflective Mylar Hydroponics Grow Tent, Non Toxic Hydro Dark Room Cabinet Box Hut, GYO1009: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Assuming my first grow goes well I was thinking of getting two of these and using one to veg everything and the other to flower.

Don't want to spike my energy bill too much, and since the inside of the tent is mylar was going to go with a 400-600w interchangeable MH/HPS.
    Amazon.com: 400 Watt Electronic Switchable Ballast Hydroponic Grow Lamp System with Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium HPS Light Bulbs, Cord + Hanger, GYO2002: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Ventilation I'm somewhat at a loss, from what I've read I should be leaving the intakes open and use negative pressure to vent out into a carbon filter.

High Tech Garden Supply

Thanks for the feedback.

2. get the biggest tent your comfortable with.. always nice to have a really large tent and since your purchasing two or three make sure you have enough room

as far as fans go... get at the very least a 6" fan... i made the mistake a got a 4"... super loud... get some insulated ducting... and not to mention your light hood will have a 6" opening on the side im assuming.... so why get a smaller inline fan... the white inline fans(more expensive) are suppose to be even quieter... and if you get the option get a fan speed adjuster... worth the money

your plans for the size of light and the way you plan to use a fan into a filter to create pressure is perfect... try to grow without a filter and you'll get one quick... or make one... only cost me 30 bucks to make mine... works like a champ

3. From what I've read that model has 2 intake flaps, and 3 4' fan slots. Can't seem to find anything in the sameish dimensions with 6' slots.

Would it be more prudent to have the two fans at the sides sucking and pulling air to create a cooling effect on the light, and then have the last fan dump into a carbon filter?

Or just stick with the negative pressure scenerio.

4. its better to have the one fan or two fans pulling in the same direction side by side.... having one pushing and one pulling is not really favorable... one fan pushes slightly harder than the next and you have a bad situation....

before you purchase your fan... figure out which light your going to use... then figure out your dimensions of your tent your going to get and then you can pick out your fan... based on how many cubic feet your tent is and then you need a little more cooling for the light and whatever the cfm's your fan is... cut that in half for your filter(read that somewhere) that might be wrong... but really spell out exactly what your going to get and then ask the board for help...

there's lots of stickies and whatnot that describe in depth exactly what fan to get with what size ten with what size light... its alot of math but in the end... worth it

5. Much appreciated man, hopefully going to get started soon, will try to take pics and stuff.