Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

diabetes and smoking

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Benleveque, Aug 30, 2010.

1. i just found out that diabetes can be effected by smoking...
    but i don't get it because my levels aren't low right now, so can someone explain this too me?

cheers

2. Smoking causing instability in blood sugar? I wouldn't know much about that. I do know my brother has diabetes and I know he still does smoke. Here' a slightly helpful link I found:

Low Blood Sugar & Smoking | eHow.com

:smoke:

3. I have diabetes. I don't find that smoking weed has anything to do with my diabetes whatsoever, although I haven't checked my blood sugar specifically when I smoke. But it hasn't effected the overall level of control over my glucose levels.

I'm type II though, if you're type I your mileage may vary.

4. yea i'm type 1, i have to check my bloods 6 times a day and it often falls in a session, but seeing as i have to write down every time that i do my levels, and looking back it does dip slightly, but my docter seems to think that it can make my levels drop dramatically... even though i've not seen that...

5. wow, thanks alot, turns out that smoking weed and doing my levels regularly and my insulin at the correct times will do me alot more good then if i wasn't...

seriously, thanks man :smoke:

6. I have not seen precipitous drops in blood sugar, but I'm not insulin dependent and mine is mostly controlled through diet. I don't take my blood sugar more than once a day usually just as a yardstick as to where I am. If it was me, I would take my blood sugar, toke, and take it again in half hour intervals to see what happened, with glucose tablets standing by as a failsafe, but again, I don't know if that's feasible with Type I.

7. I didn't see this before I posted. That's good news. Good luck, man!

8. i always have a big bottle of lucozade and lucozade tabs, so i'm never low for long, lol.
    i tried that last night, and it does dip, but only by 2 after a heavy smoking session with a few mates, and bare in mind that i don't normally munch out when i'm lean either, so it must be the smoke, gonna give it a try later on again and see if i get the same results...

and a word of warning, type 2 can be just as damaging, so if your gonna have a smoke, atleast check every once in a while, just to be on the safe side....

and i'm not tryna be your docter or anything, and i hope you don't take this the wrong way, but try and remember to check your levels more when your smoking, cos shit happens and you can still get low, and if you do, it can do almost the same amount of damage as it can in type 1....

and if you ever need any advice on anything, you know where i am :)

oh, and one more thing, if you don't have regular check ups on your diabetes, atleast go once a year, cos if it gets too bad it can turn into type 1, and you wouldn't realise untill you're in hospital with ketones or in a coma....

but again, i hope you don't take this the wrong way, just tryna look out for my fellow smokers :)

take care :)

9. Nope, don't take it wrong at all. Type II is just as dangerous in the long run, we suffer the same nerve damage from high numbers and the same coma from low :) And yeah, my doc threatened me with insulin a couple times before I got my shit together and started watching what I eat.

When I first started smoking again (I quit for a lot of years) I was concerned that when I was high I wouldn't be able to distinguish if I was going low, but now I can tell, and I run for the meter any time I start to get sweats and hunger pangs.

Thanks for the advice, bro, all good!

10. #11 Benleveque, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010

yea man, my lips go numb and my hands tingle, which is hard to decipher when i've had a large smoke, so thats why i tend to check it more when i smoke...

and i don't blame your docter, diabetes isn't a thing to fuck about with...

and insulin isn't nice... i have to inject myself 4 times a day, and take tabs over night.... i have to wake up every night to take them and it's a nightmare....

the tabs are foul, the injections make you sore and itchy sometimes and i get bad insomnia from the tabs every now and then, don't sleep for 3-4 days....

so again, sorry for kinda being your quack, but eat propperly... lol